The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

#3061 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat May 11, 2024 12:12 pm

T15 yes indeed my first comment was that she looks very white over there.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3062 Post by OFSO » Sat May 11, 2024 12:57 pm

I'm sure she has a Persilschein.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3063 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun May 12, 2024 5:59 am

She has now thanked the Nigerians for welcoming her home!
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3064 Post by probes » Sun May 12, 2024 2:44 pm

Yep, and she loves being Mom most.
To the King's grandchildren, lest we forget.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3065 Post by probes » Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 am

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse...
'I'm missing my babies': Meghan reveals sorrow of being away from Archie and Lilibet on US Mother's Day but it 'feels appropriate to be in the motherland' - as Harry jokes guests at Lagos state reception are his 'in-laws'
So, they've finally found their family.
With Meghan's DNA showing 48% of origin from Nigeria.
(btw, does anybody know if it's even possible to say that based on a DNA analyses?)
Which leaves 52% unspecified and is somewhat ominous for other countries it might cover?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3066 Post by probes » Mon May 13, 2024 8:28 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 5:59 am
She has now thanked the Nigerians for welcoming her home!
What's the snag? Any particular reason Nigeria welcomes her so presidentially? (as claimed somewhere)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3067 Post by FD2 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:38 pm

It's a good place to go to if he ever has to leave the States after the drugs claims he's made - after all 'East, West, home's best' and they could live in Nigeria in great style.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3068 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 13, 2024 8:58 pm

Meghan visited Nigeria as a duchess and left an African princess :ymsick:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/13/africa/m ... index.html

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex embarked on what was officially dubbed a 3-day private visit to Nigeria, yet it unfolded with all the grandeur and attention typically reserved for royal tours.

Their first day saw them receive a red-carpet welcome complete with cultural dancers following their arrival in the Nigerian capital of Abuja, where they kicked off a multi-day mental health summit at Lightway Academy.

There, they also unveiled a partnership between their Archewell Foundation and the GEANCO Foundation to provide students with school supplies and menstrual products.

The pair had been invited to the West African nation by the country’s highest-ranking military official, Christopher Musa. After meeting him at the Nigerian Defence Headquarters, Meghan signed a guest book thanking officials for “welcoming me home.”

Despite the private nature of their visit, the couple’s itinerary resembled previous official tours they carried out before stepping back as senior working royals in 2020.

They were warmly received everywhere they went, with Nigerians showcasing their famed hospitality. The couple were showered with gifts, including a touching portrait of a young Harry with his mum.

For both Nigeria and the Sussexes, this visit held significant weight.

It was an opportunity for Nigeria to demonstrate its capability to host such high-profile guests and dispel any doubts raised by skeptics, especially considering the country’s standing in the eyes of the UK’s Foreign Office as one of the most dangerous countries to visit in the world.

Nigeria has security issues with a terrorist insurgency in the northeast and northwest. However, it is a huge country — larger than the US state of Texas — and the other areas visited by the royal couple over the past several days are relatively safe.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend an exhibition sitting volleyball match at Nigeria Unconquered in Abuja on May 11.

Meanwhile, for Prince Harry and Meghan, this marked their first major trip to Africa since relinquishing their official royal duties.

It was a chance for them to engage in a hearts-and-minds charm offensive, which they executed with aplomb.

Meghan, in particular, embraced exploring her Nigerian ancestry after discovering several years ago that she is 43% Nigerian through a genealogy test.

On Saturday, she co-hosted a women’s leadership event with Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director-General of the World Trade Organisation, for about 50 leading women from across Nigerian society and politics, business, media, and culture.

During a panel discussion, moderated by Nigerian media mogul Mo Abudu, the duchess spoke passionately about uncovering her Nigerian roots and its significance to her own identity.

She described Nigeria as “my country,” adding that “being African American, part of it is not knowing so much about your lineage or background, where you come from specifically. And it was exciting … to discover more and understand what that really means.”

It was here that Meghan’s natural ability to connect really shone through. She chatted effortlessly with attendees, posed for selfies and engaged in heartfelt conversations.

At another event on Sunday at the prestigious Delborough Hotel in Lagos - where the great and good of Nigerian society had gathered to welcome the coupl - she appeared visibly moved when three powerful traditional rulers honored her with royal titles.

The Obi of Onitsha, His Majesty Igwe Nnaemeka Alfred Ugochukwu Achebe christened Meghan “Ada Mazi,” which means “the daughter of the Igbo ancestral palace.”

While, the Oluwo of Iwoland, southwest, Nigeria, Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi christened her with the Yoruba name of “Adetokunbo” which means “royalty from across the seas.”

Their engagements during the three-day visit were centered around their core passions: sports rehabilitation, mental health, and women’s empowerment.

For Harry’s part, the duke demonstrated his compassion and connection to his late mother, Princess Diana, as he visited wounded soldiers at a military hospital in Kaduna, 150 miles from Abuja.

His first stop was to drop in on the governor of Kaduna state, Senator Uba Sani, where he was again welcomed by a troupe of dancers and a red carpet. Governor Sani sat opposite him and praised Harry as a “symbol of courage and “praised his service to his country.”

He added, “Please give our regards to the Duchess of Sussex, Princess Meghan.”

Harry toured about six wards and met young men recuperating from their injuries. Many had been shot, ambushed by Boko Haram or lost limbs due to blasts. One moment captured by a photographer showing Harry holding a wounded soldier lying on the hospital bed during the visit resonated deeply and went viral on social media.

Corporal Yusef, 23, who had been shot through the knee, spoke with the duke, who asked him about his rehab. “Are you going to try for the Invictus Games team? Are you preparing for that?… We will see you there,” Harry suggested.

Their visit also extended to cultural experiences, such as witnessing a vibrant dance performance and a polo match at the historic Lagos Polo Club.

Polo holds special significance for Harry and the event provided a platform to showcase his longstanding commitment to the sport and its charitable endeavors.

Amid the festivities, the couple expressed gratitude for Nigeria’s warm reception. As they bid farewell to Nigeria, Meghan declared: “I can’t wait to come back!”

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3069 Post by FD2 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:41 pm

As they bid farewell to Nigeria, Meghan declared: “I can’t wait to come back!

Let's see how long the friendship lasts with her new 'besties' or before she returns for another visit.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3070 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 13, 2024 11:18 pm

FD2 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:41 pm
As they bid farewell to Nigeria, Meghan declared: “I can’t wait to come back!

Let's see how long the friendship lasts with her new 'besties' or before she returns for another visit.
I'm sure that until she can come back she gave her new 'besties' an open invite to stop by Montecito anytime that they're in the neighborhood. :ymdevil:

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3071 Post by llondel » Mon May 13, 2024 11:22 pm

Oops...
The charity founded by Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, has been found delinquent in California and cannot raise money because the state has determined Archewell Foundation has not paid its annual registration fees or submitted an annual report.

A source close to Archewell told NBC News that the group’s initial check was lost in the mail but payment has been resubmitted. The issue is expected to be resolved within days, the source said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ha ... 0001ca135a

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3072 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 13, 2024 11:35 pm

Does anyone still mail checks? :-? :-??

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3073 Post by llondel » Tue May 14, 2024 12:18 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:35 pm
Does anyone still mail checks? :-? :-??
I did last week. Some dog events are still lacking alternative payment methods. Sometimes there's a "convenience fee" for paying on-line, which often encourages me to pay by check because I bet it costs them way more to have to handle a physical check, deposit it and pay whatever their bank charges them for processing it than it does to take on-line payment.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3074 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue May 14, 2024 6:51 am

Cheque was lost in the post =)) Pull the other one. And what about the accounts that were not submitted? Also lost?

See Nutmeg was an hour late for one engagement in her 'homeland'. Problems with a dress or something apparently. Clearly nothing like a 'Royal tour' which always run to the second. How rude. Seems that Ginge was not amused.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3075 Post by probes » Tue May 14, 2024 6:53 am

But still, what's there for the Nigerian officials?

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#3076 Post by limeygal » Tue May 14, 2024 9:45 am

I see that Ginge's literary "masterpiece" lost in all categories it was nominated for at the British Book Awards. Winners were a kid's book, a puzzle book, and an MP's autobiography. Nothing like a bit of schadenfreude to set me up for the day!

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3077 Post by probes » Tue May 14, 2024 10:03 am

Count me in, too (for schadenfreude)!
I just can't understand why they couldn't have left and gotten their buck for something nice. Well, actually I can, of course (but it's sad), having had the unluck of working with someone of the same mindset - who was also seen as extremely efficient and popular, which changed when he didn't get what he wanted (and as a friend said: how was I to know what he'll do when he can't have it his way).

Also, just pure lies do not seem to tarnish reputations these days. Interesting.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3078 Post by Karearea » Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:58 pm
Meghan visited Nigeria as a duchess and left an African princess :ymsick:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/13/africa/m ... index.html
Has been a long time since I read so much sycophantic treacle =))
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3079 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm

Que the start of Nigerian Princess scam emails. :ymdevil:

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3080 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 15, 2024 6:40 am

Why didn't Ginge and Nutmeg join in with the British National Anthem? OK she probably doesn't know it but what was his excuse? Not wearing his coronation medal and not singing the National Anthem isn't the way forward to building bridges with HMK.

Debatable if it should have been played in the first place.