A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#5222 Post by tango15 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:16 am

probes wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:36 pm
Well, the subtitles are translated ones anyway and I'm not that good (to understand everything, plus several words probably aren't in any dictionary), but basically it's showing the dire conditions and dead guys (can't be brothers-in-arms, or they would bury them?) - hoping they won't be next to them soon, no food, cold, the enemy is 'over there' and 'we have to take the territory'.
I agree with probes' summary. Chechens tend to mumble their Russian, although to be fair, he does sound very depressed, and who wouldn't? The Somme comes to mind. He says at one point that he wants to go home, and not surprisingly, there's some swearing. Interestingly, he also complains about the danger from the drones. As I understand it, both sides have teams who come and collect the bodies, and if the dead are Chechen, then they'll have to go home, because they're Muslims, but the repatriation could take a while, given the conditions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5223 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:20 am

One of the key things putin has been doing is isolating the Russian heartland, Moscow and St Peterburg, from the war.
They don't get called up, they don't get rationed, and they hear nothing but the odd good news story in the media.

Well, the 1 million sq ft warehouse in St Petersburg of Wildberries, the Russki equivalent of Amazon, just went up in smoke.
It appears to be the biggest warehouse in the city. Or was.
2b51a54238aa7be5.jpg
I have located it to here
https://www.google.com/maps/place/59%C2 ... ?entry=ttu

Где мои вещи?
В дыму, Иван!

=))

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5224 Post by EA01 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:40 am

This from back in 2022 was fnny....but this fiasco continues to drag on...

Darth Putin
@DarthPutinKGB
·
Follow
Day 250 of my 3 day war. My army advances backwards and I'm losing all my warships in a land war to a country that doesn't have a navy while my air force fires at Europe's largest country and misses it, hitting one next door.

I remain a master strategist.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5225 Post by tango15 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:23 pm

Re the warehouse - oh dear! Not far from Pulkovo either. Possibly an inside job though?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5226 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:56 pm

Inside job?
You surely don't mean online retail warehouses are such hell holes that someone would want to burn it down?

Only 18,000 suspects...plus their families, friends....

"I am Spartacus!"

Just ordered a new chainsaw bar from my local garage.
I searched the manufacturer's website and discovered they distributed to my local garage.
I emailed the garage, got a reply a day later, and it's now ordered.
No stock, of course, so I have to wait a week, but it's $8 cheaper.
And the guy who packs it works for a nice company, as does the guy who delivers it, and the nice lady at the garage is also happy in her work.
Unlike everyone who works for Amazon.
I also have to go collect it, but the Amazon scum just chuck it in the snowdrift at the end of the driveway this time of year, so I never order from them between November and April (inclusive).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5227 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:09 pm

'nuther view. I think St Peterburg knows it's at war now.
putler will of course call it an accident...nope, they are just not mentioning it.
TELEMMGLPICT000362459497_17051481116450_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOp1Kc7__OusZVD94rYrJtbNODPr0f6jh8av5GjGs9rQ.jpeg
TELEMMGLPICT000362459497_17051481116450_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOp1Kc7__OusZVD94rYrJtbNODPr0f6jh8av5GjGs9rQ.jpeg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 792 times

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#5228 Post by Dushan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:03 pm

This ought to keep the temperature down a few degrees for a while. Greta should be happy.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5229 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:50 pm

Greta will be even happier.
Russia has reportedly turned off the heating in penal colonies, to boost recruiting for the army.

I suspect even the dumbest Russian prisoner has worked out there's no heating in a mud-and-snow-filled shellscrape in Ukraine either.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5230 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:30 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:56 pm

I also have to go collect it, but the Amazon scum just chuck it in the snowdrift at the end of the driveway this time of year, so I never order from them between November and April (inclusive).
Does Amazon have secure pick-up locations in your nearest urbanization as they do here? :-?

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5231 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:51 pm

Does Amazon have secure pick-up locations in your nearest urbanization as they do here?
wrong thread - belongs in Sick Jokes

My 'nearest urbanization' is a four hour drive, each way.
Amazon will now deliver via the Post Office, who I can trust and will both store and deliver to my door, but after a month of the service being offered, delivery changed from 2 days to at least a week.
I use this for delicate stuff.

It's not really a problem now. I rarely need anything quickly these days, and local prices are dropping below Amazon's for most stuff, with local customer service, if one hunts around.
But Amazon has lost 80% of the business I used to give it.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5232 Post by probes » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:01 am

tango15 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:16 am
As I understand it, both sides have teams who come and collect the bodies.
Don't bet on it. There have been several reports the ruz often don't even try to, plus the units retreating have been just mowen down by their own 'backup force'. Used to be the Kadyrov guys at the 'earlier days'.
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:50 pm
I suspect even the dumbest Russian prisoner has worked out there's no heating in a mud-and-snow-filled shellscrape in Ukraine either.
No bets on that one either - a real man survuves without it anyway: after all, the fathers won the Great Patriotic War. WW II that is.

an interesting one, btw: https://meduza.io/en

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5233 Post by probes » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:26 am

P.S this morning there were reports the UKR had managed to 'ground' several ruz missiles electronically. And that it might be a new level to protect their skies.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5234 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:07 pm

Bit of back story on the warehouse fire.

On the night of Jan10/11, there was a fight outside the warehouse between rival groups of Tajik and Azerbaijani migrant workers.
The Russian authorities then conducted a round-up campaign targeting illegal migrants.
https://t.me/vchkogpu/45099;%C2%A0https ... 5091%C2%A0;
An illegal migrant is probably a legal migrant who doesn't have the bribe money the round-up official demands.
Last month, there was a similar round-up at the Wildberries depot outside Moscow, with numerous 'illegal' migrant workers being drafted into the Army and shipped off to die in a Ukrainian ditch.

I can't imagine how a fire could start in a big warehouse full of cardboard and plastics, that has the fire alarm system turned off, and is almost entirely staffed by illegals who are highly p!ssed off with their bosses, at war with their co-workers, and are facing the choice between extortioned poverty and being blown apart by a Ukrainian drone. Probably the same kind of drones they spent all day packing. And you think you've got problems....

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5235 Post by probes » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:25 pm

two big fat birds sent to the submarine aircraft-carrier Moscow. Any comment from the resident (mil) pilots?

WEll, actually one of them, and in the Azov Sea, the other was just 'grounded' in a brutal and nasty way. :ymdevil:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5236 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:40 pm

Looks like they lost an AWACSki.

The Il-22 made it back.
145d81a6a3b2286e.jpg
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/111759959617753855

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5237 Post by probes » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:50 pm

FORBES BUSINESS AEROSPACE & DEFENSE Ukrainian Sources: We Just Shot Down Two Of Russia’s Best Command Planes
Well, but not in its best configuration! :)

I'm sorry, but it does make one emotional if you try to help kids whose granny is told (a phone call after the Kakhovka dam disaster) - stay where you are, several m of water around where your home used to be, bodies of people and animals carried towards the Black Sea; not to mention all the whatnot; and when you realise the around 9-yr-old is not comfortable with any alphabet, because he has had a year of war and before that 2 of Covid. Which makes about 3 yrs lost after he went to school. Bright and polite kids at that.
And a person you know tries to persuade the colleagues that ruz is 'not dangerous at all' to travel to - well, I do understand people have elderly parents, but...
Or the 'western' fat cats' (=not in this forum, they wouldn't be) disuss 'corruption in UKR'. What about their own ... ach, whatever.
Uhh.
Sorry.
I wish the rumours about a new level of electronic protection of skies (=some devices) is true.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5238 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:03 pm

The Il-22 damage looks like that caused by a missile warhead.
The max range of Patriot, from Uke territory, only just reaches to the sea of Azov north coast.
It seems unlikely that the Russian would screw up and stray into Patriot's range.
Which leaves me thinking it was a fighter High Value Air Asset mission, which was something we trained for (both attack and defence).

My best guess is that they eliminated or suppressed the Russian SAM belt, probably near Krynky, then ran some fighters at low level through the gap then across southern Kherson.
Probably pulled up at the last moment, shot the AWACSki with AAMs, then ran back the same way.

The description in 'Red Storm Rising' of the AWACSki attack is similar.

SF/ partisans getting some MANPADs into the area and doing it near the base airfield is also a possibility.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5239 Post by probes » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:13 pm

:-bd

btw,
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:03 pm
It seems unlikely that the Russian would screw up and stray into Patriot's range.
- never underestimate the ruz creative ability to screw up everything and anything.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5240 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:17 pm

Latest
Don't know the provenance, might be complete rubbish but looks reasonable.
https://mstdn.social/@noelreports/111759898319355494
Still from the end of the video.
Screenshot from 2024-01-15 10-12-28.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-15 10-12-28.png (234.92 KiB) Viewed 567 times
The splash graphic may be the estimated impact area for the AWCSki.
This patrol distance would appear to be about 100km beyond max Patriot range, which is what I'd expect.

Perhaps the Ukes had fighters pretending to be Russian fighter bombers returning to Yeysk?? Total guesswork here.

Does rule out MANPAD. However, if the video does show the final flight, then it would likely be MANPAD taking out the AWACSki shortly before landing.