BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#1501 Post by 1DC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:07 pm

The MP's stand up because they want to let the Speaker of The House know that they would like to make a comment.
The only thing that has come out of this negotiation is that it clearly shows how disgraceful, treachorous and untrustworthy our MP's are. The government called a referendum and the People voted to leave. The MP's should then have united and negotiated the best leaving deal that could be achieved. What happened? About 75% of the tories appear to support the leaving negotiations, the other 25% have tried to make it difficult. The Liberals just ignored the vote. The SNP said they wouldn't support the government. labour have shown that they only want to try and force a general election and will just vote against anything the government put to Parliament.Considering that labour consider themselves to be for the People all they are doing is trying to shaft the People for their own desires. The paddies were given too much power.
If the government had the support of parliament in their negotiations with the EU I think we would have got a good deal, as it is we are now worse off than when we started.
Not withstanding the above i don't think Mrs May could negotiate her way out of a paper bag.

Seenenough

#1502 Post by Seenenough » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:29 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm
Do you really think that any other country would actually pay that much to the EU because of an 'obligation' ? The French would agree and then forget all about it, the Italians, Greeks and Portuguese plead poverty, the Spanish lose the paperwork and put anyone who mentioned it in prison for 'Rebellion', the Germans take it out of their NATO contribution...the Dutch and Belgians argue it's a cheese and clogs tax...

That's been Mrs May's problem all along. She thinks every other national leader and Brussels plays fair and thus the UK should too. In fact they are all self-serving deceptive lying unconscionable c*nts and she is as dim as a Toc H lamp.
Which is probably a good reason why Trump and the US are standing back and watching the comming train wreck.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1503 Post by Ibbie » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Is it time for an application to become Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds by Mrs May?

Slasher

#1504 Post by Slasher » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:21 pm

OFSO wrote:
Do you really think that any other country would actually pay that much to the EU because of an 'obligation' ? The French would agree and then forget all about it, the Italians, Greeks and Portuguese plead poverty, the Spanish lose the paperwork and put anyone who mentioned it in prison for 'Rebellion', the Germans take it out of their NATO contribution...the Dutch and Belgians argue it's a cheese and clogs tax...

That's been Mrs May's problem all along. She thinks every other national leader and Brussels plays fair and thus the UK should too. In fact they are all self-serving deceptive lying unconscionable c*nts and she is as dim as a Toc H lamp.
Thanks OFSO. Good points. I do think coughing £39 billion to the EU is a sheer filthy obscenity. One MP said that amount equates to 60 million quid per constituency better spent on their own soil. I do agree with that.

Your argument then points to either political immaturity or plain naïveté on her part? But in any case...she struck me as a strong determined woman to be able to take all this sh!t and still stick by her guns and principles. This doesn't necessarily imply she's 100% right though and am open to whatever faults are in this deal apart from the 39 bill.

Rees-Mogg going after the PMship?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1505 Post by ian16th » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Slasher wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:35 pm
Has anyone here actually read this 586 page Brexit document?
This 586 page document is an illustration of all that is wrong with the EU.

When the Common Market became the EU, I remember seeing an article comparing the word count EU constitution, to the USA one!
Cynicism improves with age

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#1506 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:33 pm

OFSO wrote:

Steady on old boy. You seem to have left a national stereotype box or two unticked. There are 27 countries in the EU and you've missed a few!

I'm sure you are right though, the British are always totally honorable in all negotiations, that pervidious Albion stuff was always Fake News.

It's remarkable to see how Theresa May's popularity has fallen since she was first chosen as leader. Back then, on TOP, people were predicting how great she was going to be and how the Conservative party would doubtless rule for the next 40 years.( The next 40 days might be considered an achievement.) Of course, they could have been the same people predicting that the Brexit negotiations would be very easy, "they need us more than we need them, etc". We know how that turned out.

Dominic Raab favorite to be next Tory leader and Corbyn to be next PM, oh dear.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1507 Post by ian16th » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Jetex Jim wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:33 pm
It's remarkable to see how Theresa May's popularity has fallen since she was first chosen as leader.
I never understood how a 'remainer' could be expected to enthusiasticly negotiate Brexit.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#1508 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:29 pm
OFSO wrote:

Which is probably a good reason why Trump and the US are standing back and watching the comming train wreck.
Big Donald's only reported comment on the subject of Brexit is said to be his suggestion that Theresa May sue the European Union.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1509 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:16 pm

I cannot substantiate my opinions about the leaders of EU Member States on this site, but they are based on 50 years of observation. If Ops-Normal ever holds a meeting under Chatham House Rules I'll be happy to oblige, as I did at a Conference in London last month. (And as did the other attendees.)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1510 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Remember when the EU issued an edict about street traders having to wrap all chicken on sale ? The British (and Germans too) immediately fell into line. The French just laughed and ignored it, and still do - as I saw at the street market up Av Paul Doumier in Paris in three weeks ago - and the Italians in Frascati last year. But we mugs in the UK act as if the EU was a level playing field with everyone obeying the rules in intent and spirit. Pah ! Humbug !

Capetonian

#1511 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:29 pm

I believe that most of the soft cheeses made in France are not compliant with EU regulations. One thing I admire about the Frogs is that they don't give a toss.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#1512 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Coming up next...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -every-day
The ongoing Brexit chaos makes the case for Scottish independence stronger every day, Nicola Sturgeon has said, suggesting that she may update the Holyrood parliament on the timing of a second independence poll in a matter of weeks.

Responding to a question from Scottish Greens co-convenor Patrick Harvie at first minister’s questions on Thursday, the Scottish National party leader said: “I have no doubt that Scotland will get an opportunity to choose again on the question of independence, and when it does, I am confident that it will choose to be an independent country.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1513 Post by ian16th » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 pm

Would that mean that England & Wales will not have New Year as a holiday again?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1514 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:52 am

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#1515 Post by larsssnowpharter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Only three options:

1. Go with TM's 'deal'.
2. Stay in the EU.
3. Go for 'Hard Brexit'.

Her Majesty's Opposition don't have any clear policy on Brexit other than repeating that they want to stay in the single market. The EU has made it clear from the beginning that this was not on offer.

All the crap about Canada Plus is just hot air and would inevitably result in a hard border in Ireland.

Those screaming for another referendum fail to take into account that, even if 'Remain' won, it would likely be close and leave the country equally divided.

Then there are those who want to scrap May's deal and negotiate a better one. Possible? I doubt it.

I think the deal May got from the EU was probably the best available.

What I do find distasteful is the way our elected representatives are behaving at the moment.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1516 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Slight drift: had to laugh today. An article in the British Catalan magazine this month states quite seriously that British driving licences will be invalid in the EU after Brexit and UK tourists flying to Spain will be forbidden from driving, hiring cars and so on. Of course every other driver from everywhere else in the world will, if not Spanish resident, be able to drive legally in Spain for up to six months on their own national licences. Just, somehow, not the British.

Capetonian

#1517 Post by Capetonian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Some smug Frog wanker I was talking to yesterday said : "Now all ze Eenglish will ave to go ome."

I reminded him that should that happen (which of course it won't) France will collapse, they will go back to ploughing fields with donkey carts, they will lose millions in revenue, they will lose skills, and all the Frogs in the UK will be sent back and will end cleaning toilets. The UK will stop buying crappy French cars, stinky cheeses, inferior wines, perfumes .............

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1518 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:54 pm

If anyone is planning on driving in France tomorrow - Saturday - they will see France already in a state of collapse. And while stuck in a stationary traffic jam, they may look to one side and if lucky, already observe farming using animals for tractive power. One thing you can say for the French, when civilization falls they have less far to fall than everyone else.

Capetonian

#1519 Post by Capetonian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:25 pm

One thing you can say for the French, when civilization falls they have less far to fall than everyone else.
I absolutely love that. I'm updating my signature on this site with it! Hope you don't mind me plagiarising your line. My dear Mama would turn in her grave, she loved the French as much as I loathe them.

From

I am not a bigot, xenophobe, or racist.
I detest everybody with equal vehemence, maybe some a bit more than others.

To

One thing you can say for the French, when civilization falls they have less far to fall than everyone else

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#1520 Post by Jetex Jim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:01 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:16 pm
I cannot substantiate my opinions about the leaders of EU Member States on this site, but they are based on 50 years of observation. If Ops-Normal ever holds a meeting under Chatham House Rules I'll be happy to oblige, as I did at a Conference in London last month. (And as did the other attendees.)
Chatham House Rules. A label lending spurious gravitas to anecdotal evidence?