BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#1521 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Not at all, JJ. It is just that like so many people on this site I have information which I would be perfectly happy to discuss verbally but not in writing. No need for you to sneer at that.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1522 Post by Woody » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Never heard of him, but it’s good to see him keeping an open mind :((
BBCCopyright: BBC
Conservative MP Crispin Blunt has told the BBC that whoever the prime minister is over the next few months is going to face exactly the same circumstances, as "the Commons will say no to the deal."

He says that over the weeks to come, people will see that the deal the EU has offered the UK is "simply infinitely worse" than the option of "moving to a clean global Brexit with WTO terms".

Mr Blunt did not make it clear whether he had written a letter to Sir Graham Grady, arguing that "it doesn't matter who the leader is, as the Commons won't vote the withdrawal agreement through regardless".

He thinks that leaving without a deal would mean "we will have a lot of money, will be able to make fee trade deals and we will have the freedom to manage the economy in our best interests".

He adds that it would be "criminal" if the UK does not grasp this "fantastic opportunity", but notes that it comes with its challenges.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#1523 Post by Jetex Jim » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:37 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:15 pm
Not at all, JJ. It is just that like so many people on this site I have information which I would be perfectly happy to discuss verbally but not in writing. No need for you to sneer at that.
Chatham House Rule.
When a meeting, or part thereof, is held under the Chatham House Rule, participants are free to use the information received, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of the speaker(s), nor that of any other participant, may be revealed.
In this case you've already confirmed yourself as a source so it's a little late to be claiming Chatham House Rule.

But, if what you really mean is you are prepared to make assertions without presenting anything verifiable then we are back to anecdotal evidence.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Capetonian

#1524 Post by Capetonian » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 am

I think that's somewhat unfair, JJ. Most of us are, at times, privy to information which we may use in a discussion but for reasons of (e.g.) employer confidentiality, or to avoid implicating a third party, we may not be free to disclose the source.

As an example, I could publish the exact passenger figures and in many cases passenger lists for flights on a number of major international airlines, but I am sure you can understand why I would not do so, since it is privileged information.

Sisemen

#1525 Post by Sisemen » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:14 am

2CBFF1D2-D952-4178-A9E6-AD1118DF43AD.jpeg
2CBFF1D2-D952-4178-A9E6-AD1118DF43AD.jpeg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 681 times

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1526 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:25 am

I really don't understand the point of these Brexit negotiations.
We have decided to leave the club, so our negotiating position is extremely weak. Why would any club committee alter things in the club to suit someone who's bloody leaving?
If I was the EU, I'd be annoying the UK as much as I felt like during the negotiations, then I'd tell them to fcuk off at the end!

There is no way to negotiate with the EU successfully, from the negotiating position that we are in. It's just too weak. There's no way we can coerce the EU into doing anything they don't want to, so they're only going to agree to stuff that suits the EU primarily- hardly likely to serve the interests of the UK.

Better to just leave, strengthen our negotiating position as a true independent country, then work through the situation as it all develops.
Sure there'll be some trouble, but that's the price of reversing the stupid decision to join in the first place.

Also, don't pay them a penny for the right to go. They don't own us and we are not in debt to the EU.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1527 Post by Magnus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Oh dear. Our "negotiating" position is actually quite strong. Feck off, EU; WTO rules will do for now. Oh, and BTW we're keeping the money. If I decide to leave golf Club A, I don't have to keep paying green fees, I don't have to follow A's rules should I decide to play on course "B". We don't want to "coerce the EU into doing anything they want to do", we just want the EU no longer to have the right to coerce us into doing anything WE don't want to do.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1528 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:19 pm

They will still want to buy our oil and our whisky and our Jags and our Range Rovers and our fish and loadsa other stuff. We we still want to buy their wine and their VWs and Mercs and Beamers and Skodas.

We both will want to buy mobile phones and other gizmos from the Chinese. Awkward sods like me might even buy a car from the unburnt bits of California.

Life will go on and we'll all get along just fine.

Somehow, Norway seems to get along just fine without being a subjugated statelet of the EU. They have a faacking great big border with Sweden, which is an EU member just like Paddyland, and there is no problem. There is no jobswuth in a hi-viz jacket demanding to see your papers.

Slasher

#1529 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:28 pm

I still reckon forking 39 billion quid over to bloody Europe is an obscenity. Don't care what any crunt says.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#1530 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:54 am

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eremy-hunt
Toppling May risks 'most appalling chaos', says Jeremy Hunt
Shouldn't that be 'even greater appalling chaos'?

Foreign secretary chastises MPs for encouraging letters of no confidence in Theresa May
Isn't an 'encouraging letter of no confidence' something of a contradiction in terms?
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1531 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:22 am

His arithmetic seems a bit weak =))

Slasher

#1532 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Gentlemen I draw your timely attention to the poll above.

IMG_0153.PNG

The 14 who voted NO really only the have sole right to vecoferous anti-Brexit slinging of sh!t towards Mrs May and the deal. The ones who voted YES in all honesty can only criticise the method.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1533 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:59 pm

UP, I can get along just fine without EU wine. I guess there are tariffs on South American, South African and Australasian wine. I certainly drink more Argentinian red than French or Italian.

Capetonian

#1534 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:52 pm

French exports to the UK :

Cheap shoddy little cars, inferior overpriced wine, fancy faddy food cults, onions, and worst of all, themselves.
None of that needed

German exports to UK :
Bratwurst, decent solid well-engineered cars.
The Germans want to sell them to the UK.

Belgian exports to the UK :
Nasty beer.

Etc.
Nah, leaving the EU is a smart move.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#1535 Post by Jetex Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Slasher wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:52 pm
Gentlemen I draw your timely attention to the poll above.

IMG_0153.PNG

The 14 who voted NO really only the have sole right to vecoferous anti-Brexit slinging of sh!t towards Mrs May and the deal. The ones who voted YES in all honesty can only criticise the method.
And isn't it possible that some of those who voted YES may now have changed their minds? Now that a few of those bold Brexit assertions have been disproved.
For example,
  • negotiating a Brexit deal was going to be very, very simple.
    • They need us more than we need them.
      • Irish border, why is that a problem?
        • etc.

Capetonian

#1536 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:00 pm

I voted YES and have certainly not changed my mind, if anything I have strengthened my resolve that leaving is a good move.

That it has become a complete stuff-up is another matter.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1537 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Belgian exports to the UK :
Nasty beer.
You sure about this Cape, Eyetalian beer yes, but some of the Belgian stuff is pretty good.

Slasher

#1538 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:00 pm
I voted YES and have certainly not changed my mind, if anything I have strengthened my resolve that leaving is a good move.

That it has become a complete stuff-up is another matter.
Good man Cape. You've got the rare grit to stick it out no matter how much muck and obscene ***** there is to wade through.

Somewhere very early in this thread I warned the EU won't give up and pull every piece of filthy nasty tactic on the U.K. including bullying, intimidation, psychological warfare, outright lies and propaganda. It has proven correct but the war has still yet to be won and expect far worse before it starts getting better. To give in at this point will only prolong the agony that is the EU existence. And please - for chrissake mate - never let the bastards over the Channel get a tyrannical grip on Blighty ever ever again. Then take the grandstand seat and watch the Continent continue with its never ending quarrels bitching and silly differences just like the rest of the world does.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1539 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:51 am

Theresa May has returned to London last night after pleading with the EU Commission for concessions yesterday - and having had her requests rejected. She's going back to Brussels on Saturday to be humiliated again.

It was a good day for the EU as they also rejected Italy's budget.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1540 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:06 pm

I've had an idea. Why not let every UK citizen write his or her own Brexit agreement, which will be valid for him/her and everyone within a ten foot radius. One A4 sheet, please, both sides may be used. Typed or handwritten in black ink. Must be carried everywhere.

I'm working on mine.