BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4521 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Every remainer in the establishment seems to think they are being f#cked by the Prime Minister, why not ask them? ;)))

Actually, don't bother. The BBC asks them all the time, exclusively.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4522 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I'm going to sharpen the tines on my pitchfork.

How I'd love to tickle Dominic Grieve with it....

I wonder how many feel the same? I'm keeping quiet, and so are a lot of other people, but there's pressure in the pressure cooker, of that there's little doubt.

Will it be a long hiss, or a bang?

Probably a gentle, quiet fart.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4523 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:29 pm

I've been watching the Supreme Court proceedings. Seemed fairly dull and orderly until the Scottish QC stood up to say his piece. Sounded like he was rambling on about Robert the Bruce and James VI until the lady judge stopped him short and told him to get on with presenting his case! At one point he was trying to say the sovereign is not above the law and when the chief lady judge told him he had limited time left, he quipped he would progress if the judges stopped their barracking....Not too sure that went down to well with some of their Lordships.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4524 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:37 pm

The Scots have no case and they know it. The QC is just grandstanding, so his patriotic quotes will selectively appear in the media, and the Judges' verdict to overturn will be put down as English oppression.
It's standard pretty much anywhere; a loser's best bet is to play the victim and hope for sympathy kudos among his own.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4525 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Andrew Neill currently wiping the floor with Lib Dem Layla Moran on BBC2. He's ripping her a new one.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#4526 Post by k3k3 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm

...swiftly followed by Andy McDonald (Labour Shadow Transport Secretary) suffering a similar fate.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4527 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 pm

I have read, but now cannot find, a paragraph in a paper that the mayor of the Belgian coastal resort where Jean-Claude Juncker spends a week or two on vacation each year has said that "Juncker is drunk most of the day". This news will come as a great relief to most of us.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4528 Post by barkingmad » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:34 am

I believe it may have been Private Eye or one of the UK paper dailies who renamed our soon to be retired Supreme Leader of the Universe as Jean-Claude Drunker?! :-\

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4529 Post by OFSO » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:45 am

Further to the above it was a butcher who said he couldn't understand Juncker's French, causing an outburst from the latter, who started speaking in German "as locals deliberately refused to understand him". The mayor of THAT Belgian town (not the one in my earlier post) said Junckers was so drunk he couldn't speak understandably in any language.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4530 Post by Ibbie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:48 am

Do we have to listen to the Irish version of Mogg, that gobshite Simon Coveney? The BBC should not be giving his spoutings air time.

Came across many senior management in Irish companies like him back in the 80/90s. Over promoted, stubborn, blinkered and biased. Expert on everything and master of none, but because they had been given a title thought they were. Just look what they did to the Irish Economy then.

He's a throw back to those days.

Mr Backstop or bust!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4531 Post by om15 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:48 am

It is beginning to appear that maybe some deal is being developed, how good it is we shall see.
If this is the case then it is because the UK threatened no deal, because with the Tepid Theresa the EU said that the WA was the last word, if this is the case do the people who have shrilly and with huge media gusto tried to stop the Government feel idiots for undermining our position.
No, they don't, it is amazing that in their oblivion to reality large sections of the left, the media and public still wish to remain in the failing EU.

For those who live overseas and are viewing this through the skewed prism of the press and the BBC I can assure you that amongst the ordinary people in my area, the tractor drivers, dentists and trapeze artists the sense of outrage is enormous, come the election the local Tory MP is for the chop, as is all lefties and wet lib dems, so the noisy elements will soon just be talking to themselves.
The BBC, who displayed such joy at the PM being subject to attempted humiliation by the unknown Luxenberg PM, should start to do a little self appraisal and wonder if actually the licence payers are being well served by their lefty ways, bet they don't.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4532 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:38 pm

"Dave" is just a silly wee tit. Always has been.

Boris is pretty much same-same, but at least he's amusing.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4533 Post by Woody » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:09 pm

In short, the EU says the UK has not yet provided enough detail on a plan to replace the so-called backstop, to keep the border on the island of Ireland open under all circumstances.
The UK says it is dreaming up all sorts of ideas.
Providing detail has never been one of Boris’s strong points :-w
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4534 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Not that he has any competition

Corbyn is the least popular opposition leader ever. Ever, ever; in the history of History!
If Michael Foot's 1983 manifesto was "The longest suicide note in history", what about Corbyn's next one??

The Supreme Court Justices seem like a reasonably well balanced lot (as Justices go). Should be interesting
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/0/ ... n-verdict/

Capetonian

#4535 Post by Capetonian » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Corbyn is the least popular opposition leader ever. Ever, ever; in the history of History!
Maybe there is a God after all!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4536 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:10 pm

I acquired a copy of the "Watchtower" today. The front, bright red, is enscribed IS SATAN REAL ? Having read it from to back it seems the jury is no longer 'out' on that one. I await with breath bated the next copy: IS CORBYN FOR OR AGAINST BREXIT ?

Capetonian

#4537 Post by Capetonian » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:04 am

The Canadian Governor of the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street is departing. Good, he has persistently forecast doom and gloom over Brexit, and sterling and businesses have probably suffered as a result of his political meddling.

The lady mentioned below may be his successor. Whoever it is should be a proponent of Brexit.
High-flying financier Dame Helena Morrissey, 53, has been interviewed to take over from Canadian Mark Carney when he leaves the role in January. A fund management executive, Dame Helena is thought to be one of about nine candidates being considered for the position, one of the most high-profile public service jobs in the country. She lives in Notting Hill, West London, with her husband Richard, a Buddhist monk. Their children are aged from ten to 27, and include acclaimed singer-songwriter Flo, 24. The family are pictured together left. Dame Helena has said that having so many children has helped her in her professional life, as she has come to accept 'a certain degree of chaos... you learn that you can't sweat the small stuff. People think I must be incredibly well-organised, but sometimes you just have to let it go.' She is also a Brexiteer, which would mark a change of tone from Carney, inset, who has long been accused of advancing Remainers' 'Project Fear' with his gloomy forecasts.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4538 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 pm

And is there honey still for tea?
Mrs PN bought some honey yesterday, from CHILE FFS. We have a new keeper down the hill less than half a mile away.

World's gone mad.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4539 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 pm
And is there honey still for tea?
Mrs PN bought some honey yesterday, from CHILE FFS. We have a new keeper down the hill less than half a mile away.

World's gone mad.
Totally drifting away from the thread ..or perhaps not.. We will still be able to get home-produced honey after Brexit. One of me canal society members has quite a few hives.

PN, The bloke who runs this place often comes to the canal society's annual open day with his produce. Lovely stuff it is. :-bd I think he may be no more than spitting distance from PN Towers.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4540 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:02 pm

That's the one. Half a mile down the hill. Go to the house and you have a real choice. I am told really local honey is good for pollen relief. Worked last year. He sells not only local but several other variations too.

Interesting watching this year as two log cabins were built at his house. The process was fascinating to watch. After the foundation slab a shed was built. Various stages followed including a garden terrace with sleepers. Then the new shed was slid off the foundation into the field and stacks of timber arrived. Two log cabins, wall, fences etc to a carefully scheduled plan followed. No idea how he is using the cabins. One is probably for honey.

No, my main point was why do we import foreign stuff from prodigious distances to compete with local produce? Even more stupid, why do we but it?

Another was the Lincolnshire Coop 10 years ago selling strawberries from America at the height of the UK season and at £1.99 a punnet with PYO in walking distance at 46p/£.