BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4801 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:34 am

Oct 31 was set by Brussels, not London.

dePiffle needed to differentiate himself from the Maybot who had pledged, over 80 times, to get us out on March 21 .

I don't know how many times dePiffle has said that he'd get us out on Oct31, but he was always most emphatic about that.

My current guess is that he'll push behind the scenes for a January 31 extension and will try to go to the country to get around the remainer block in the Commons. He'll succeed in the former and is unlikely to succeed in the latter as turkeys don't like an early Christmas and Blair's modification to the Constitution means that Parliament has to broadly agree to an early election.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4802 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am

UP,a reasonable guess to a point. What is your guess if he can't get around the FTPA?

Listened to the debate on BBC last night and thought the Labour female made a lot of sense though noises off (Mrs PN) made some of the points hard to hear.

Interesting, Labour, Tory and ex-Tory, no LibDem.

Capetonian

#4803 Post by Capetonian » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:02 am

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-23 at 10.39.16.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-23 at 10.39.16.jpeg (129.38 KiB) Viewed 350 times

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4804 Post by FD2 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:39 am

Limbo Dancer.jpg
Limbo Dancer.jpg (108.09 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4805 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:58 am

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4806 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Boris Johnson has said he will give MPs more time to debate his Brexit deal, but only if they agree to a 12 December general election.
The prime minister told the BBC he expected the EU to grant an extension to his 31 October deadline, even though he "really" did not want one.
That’s Christmas ruined then X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4807 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Well it was Vaedeker? 31 Oct, Macron 15 Nov, EU 30 Nov, and now 31 Jan. FFS

Bob
Capt
Capt

#4808 Post by Bob » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Guy Fawkes had the right idea.
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4809 Post by om15 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:19 pm

So we have an yuletide election, who shall we vote for,
the sopping wet mumsnet lib dems with their earnest but childish dental receptionist babbling her nonsense, or a Marxist deranged terrorist supporting momentum cabal, or perhaps we might think that the shrieking celts with their aggressive and single minded purpose to use every trick in the book to push independence would be good for the United Kingdom, and finally the Tories, deceitful, incompetent and completely untrustworthy.

What a choice, it is possible that voter fatigue will keep people at home, the leave supporters will split their vote between Nigel and Boris and possibly let Corbyn in, so we might end up with a hung Parliament, some might think that would be the best thing to happen to them.

The only bright light in the depressing mess is that Bercow will be history by the end of next week.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4810 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:31 pm

The only bright light in the depressing mess is that Bercow will be history by the end of next week.
I wonder.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4811 Post by barkingmad » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:18 am

om15, you adequately express my fears as to the GE outcome.

It’s a shame that though the LDs, Greens and assorted smaller parties can get together in an alliance to prevent the votes being split, yet Blondie has consistently refused to ally the Tories with the Brexit Party which would almost certainly be a winning combo?

A “hung parliament” conjures up images of the sort I imagine when I hear the term “guillotine” being used in connection with procedure. How long before we hear the rattles of the tumbrils over our potholed roads?!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4812 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:29 am

om - as BM said - you have missed out 'our Nigel'.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4813 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:39 am

If, say, TBP win some seats and if they join up with the Tories to form a government, what is their role/purpose once Brexit has been achieved? I genuinely can't see their raison d'etre in the aftermath of leaving the EU or am I missing something?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4814 Post by om15 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 am

I think that Nigel and the Brexit Party have been a huge influence in driving the Tories to complete some form of Brexit, Richard Tice is quite a smart chap and Nigel is never out of the limelight with his rallies, LBC chat shows and theatrical performances in the EU Parliament.
There was a Tory backlash vote for him in the EU elections, which doesn't really matter much because no one cares who we send there or what the consequences are, but a general election is different, most people will stick with their historical voting record.

There will be people who still vote labour despite the horror of Corbyn and his malevolent backers, people who will think that the Lib Dems are the voice of reason, Scots who will overwhelmingly vote for the SNP despite the obvious fact that Scotland would be a bankrupt wasteland within weeks of independence, Tories who think that Boris has charisma.
Nigel, if he chooses to put his potential candidates forward, may have support, may even win a few seats, but I don't think that the Tory/Labour vote will be much changed, there is still a large number of people in the UK who don't want to leave the EU, so I am not confident that this election will solve much.

What will be a game changer is if the Scots do after all this time of moaning about it actually vote to leave, that will take the unpleasant and leftie SNP out of Parliament, I can't see Ireland reuniting because Dublin doesn't want the northern bit, so we are stuck with that, perhaps we should turn off the free money tap for six months and then they might zip it and fall into line.

If the UK changes, which I think is inevitable because the English are now thoroughly pissed off at the level of funding they have to give to Scotland and NI, this together with the constant never ending moaning, complaining and intentional interference in our Parliament, then, and only then, might the wishes of the majority of the English be achieved and we leave the EU.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4815 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 am

Although she has said she is standing down at the next election, it would appear that Labour have already 'unpersoned' Brexiteer Kate Hoey.

Dianne Abbott purges Kate Hoey live on air
It's always my fault - SWMBO

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4816 Post by om15 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:03 pm

I received an email from Nigel yesterday, ( I am a twenty five quid supporter) detailing the down side of the Boris deal, it is absolute rubbish and would be worse than staying in and worse than leaving with no deal.

This is quite interesting.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4817 Post by barkingmad » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Having listened to and watched Kate Hoey on MSM over some time I doubt if she’s weeping with sorrow.

More likely the first bottle of English bubbly has been broached with more to follow.

It’s unreal watching UK politics imploding in slow motion, almost like a demolition film.

My money is there will not be 80% of the GE vote being split between the big two parties as they’ve shown their true colours to the electorate and probably the Monster Raving Loony Party will pick up votes but not seats. That’s assuming the disillusioned electorate can be arsed to turn out to restock the HoC swamp.

Once again Jeff Taylor sums it up in a few minutes of audio only;

The last few seconds of the DIane Abbottimus video were too much like a nightmare! I will have to urgently seek therapy.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4818 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:44 pm

Well, if the EU has agreed to it, it isn't going to be good for the UK.

Latest development is that Macron appears to be blocking an EU decision to offer an extension without a UK GE commitment.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -election/

The current UK Government will not repeal the withdrawal legislation, nor can it get any agreement acceptable to itself thru the current Parliament. The opposition cannot advance any withdrawal legislation, nor do anything but delay. Thus a UK GE is the only way to break the deadlock. One presumes the delays are now significantly affecting French business interests.

This puts Corbyn between Scylla and Charybdis. If he agrees to a GE then he runs a substantial risk of losing horribly, and if not there's no extension and the UK leaves with No Deal.

One possible variation is whether Boris will drop his WA if the EU refuse an extension. If not, Labour may decide to support the WA in the few remaining days to avoid No Deal.

As you were. EU ambassadors have reportedly agreed an extension, but not its duration (until next week). Beyond farce.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4819 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:36 pm

The Eurocrats really are a cynical lot.

Now they are just rubbing our noses in the fact that we Brits have exactly zero control over our own affairs. We've been forced into yet another extension and we are not even being told how long it is.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4820 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:07 pm

I am not surprised that BJ has spurned Nige's offer. I would say keeping powder dry and secret talks perhaps. While Nige might like a free run in some constituencies the local Tories would not be happy.