BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Nick Riviera
Snr FO
Snr FO

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4881 Post by Nick Riviera » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 am

Wonderful to see Andrew Neil skewering Jo Swinson last night. Particularly liked the clip he showed of her in Parliament last week where she stated that the Treasury report of November 2018 said that the economy would contract by 6% following Brexit. Neil pointed out that the report actually said that the economy would continue to grow but that in 15 years it would have grown 6% less than it would have without Brexit. Watching her trying to squirm her way out of his assertion that she should acknowledge her error was wonderful. She appeared to have no clue that the 2 statements were fundamentally different. This from the woman who is billing herself as "Britain's next Prime Minister!"

Bob
Capt
Capt

#4882 Post by Bob » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:03 pm

The UK needs to tell the globalist-big business elite in Brussels and at at home to go **** off, they have **** over the people for far too long.
A steer away from the current path of an increasingly extreme right wing exploitative society is long overdue, lest we end up a carbon copy of that stinkhole across the water, a land of BenTs, gleefully counting their gold whilst the ***** level goes off the scale and their grandchildren grow up in a world where half the species we knew at their age is confined to history

But thats ok BenT you can leave them some money, perhaps they buy some drugs with it to blank out the ***** excuse for reality you left them
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4883 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 pm

Always good for a laugh :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4884 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:25 pm

“This from the woman who is billing herself as “Britain’s next Prime Minister”.

Rewind the tape and enjoy David Steele exhorting his troops to “Go back to your contituencies and prepare for government!”.

More deja vu which I’m certain I’ve seen somewhere before......

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4885 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:39 am

I'm sure that there will be an "agreement" between TBP and the Tories.

Farage does not want to be the guy who split the leave vote, resulting in no Brexit.

I think he will only field TBP candidates in areas where the Tories are unlikely to win.

With a little tacit co-operation from Boris, both sides can benefit and contribute to a crushing defeat for magic grandad and the idiot lib non-democrat lady.

Farages' lot should have a few MPs at the end of it, which is desirable in its own right.
They'd be handy allies too.

Sisemen

#4886 Post by Sisemen » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:06 am

Similar situation in Oz where the Liberals and Nationals (read Conservatives) can not be seen to be doing any kind of electoral deal with One Nation (portrayed as far right extremists) because the left and the media would be all over them. But Labor can publicly do a deal with the Greens (ultra far left nutcases) and GetUp (an even more ultra left bunch of anarchists) and nary a word is spoken.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4887 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm

"Go back to your constituencies!"

"And stay there....".

They should rename themselves 'The Liberal "democrats" '.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4888 Post by FD2 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:42 pm

What seriously scares me:

Matt.jpg
Matt.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 249 times

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4889 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Ruled by arseholes.
Eventually, we'll be a country of them.

Rejoice, Rejoice!
Don't think it can't happen here!

It's happened in most Countries.

We need to man up, and fight- or we will just join the ever lengthening list of shitholes....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4890 Post by barkingmad » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:57 am

BREXBOX Episodes 12 & 13 offer a reasoned discussion of the dark hole we’re heading for if we go down the Johnson route.

Rise above the “Loose Women” delivery and listen to the content. It’s frightening!

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4891 Post by BenThere » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:44 pm

My uninvited advice is to get Brexit done at all costs. After that you can work out the details as a free and independent nation. As a free and independent American I stand on my chair and cheer Brits asserting their own Freedom. As such Brexit Party best represents my sentiments.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4892 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Ben, As a remainer I have to agree with you. Regardless of whether it will be better or worse one thing is crystal clear. We have been in stasis for well over 3 years and that has been good for nobody. With the end in sight under the stockmarket rising at last.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4893 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Definitely, just get the damn thing over with, instead of having all those politicians fearmongering and trying to sabotage it in the hope of getting it reversed. Once out, the country can concentrate on the next steps, as it should have been for the past three years.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4894 Post by om15 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 am

It is going to be interesting once we are out, what are the Lib Dems going to do, they have pinned their existence to staying in, when out there will be no purpose for them.
I really hope that Johnson gets the bit between his teeth and rejects compromise, if the eventual deal can't be made because the EU are going to be basterial minded then I hope we just end up with no deal rather than this protracted getting nowhere.
The Jerries are twitching rather as they are going to pick up the tab to keep it all going, it might turn into a mess quite quickly once we have gone.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4895 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 am

The Germans are going to have to make savings. Cutting their contribution to NATO even further looks likely.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4896 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am

How do you cut the square root of not a lot?

What do the Green Party achieve when the Tories have green policies?
What is the meaning of the Brexit Party after Brexit? Go for Brexit Plus?
What influence will the DUP have if a Governing party doesn't need their votes?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4897 Post by BenThere » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:55 am

What is the meaning of the Brexit Party after Brexit?
That's a key question. I hope the answer is they can assume the mantle of power to implement policy that enables them to re-establish UK as a sovereign nation able to once again act in its own interest. I think a strong, independent UK makes for a better world, especially for Brits.

I'm pretty certain of one thing: Mass immigration and the resulting expansion of the welfare state immigration magnet isn't working. If Brexit Party does nothing else but to close that spigot draining the lifeblood of British culture it will have made an indispensable contribution to the future of the UK.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4898 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 am

Ben, with respect, I don't think the Brexit Party has as much chance of gaining power as Elon Musk has of becoming president.

Brexit is popular but I don't think the BP is trusted.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4899 Post by BenThere » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Respect to you as well, Pontius Nav. One observation though is that not long ago UKIP and lesser right-wing parties were outliers, squawking about immigration, and a general sentiment that UK was circling the drain of decline and cultural debasement. From my standpoint at the outer reaches of the Anglosphere, I have always regarded UK as the seat of our most cherished traditions - rule of law, the sanctity of contracts, fair trials and a just judiciary, and most important, a rich literature that taught the world of a magnificent culture, from Shakespeare to Austen, Thackeray, Hardy and so many more. Brits were the well spring of so much of Western culture and enlightenment. Well done!

The US could not have achieved its success without the backbone of its British heritage, though we had to kick the Brits out in the late 1700's to become our own Free nation.

Those sentiments animate my hope that UK stands up again as a pillar of virtues I will always admire. I'm troubled by the last 20 years of dilution of the UK and long for the likes of Maggie and Winston to emerge and save the day. As of now I see Farage as the most likely propect, with Boris as having some potential. Call me crazy; I may be way off base, distant as I am. But always know I have the warmest feelings for UK, its place in the world, and best wishes.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4900 Post by om15 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:56 pm

I have admired the sense of purpose that Nigel exhibits, we wouldn't have got this far without his constant pressure and exposure of EU problems.
However, what will he do in power, build hospitals or knock them down, what steps has he put in place for immediate bi lateral agreements regarding aviation approvals, it is all vague, "we'll use common sense" stuff, he is a very effective one man pressure group, but not a statesman, the fact that Boris isn't (as yet) only makes the problem more complex, leaders like Churchill and Thatcher only surface once in a while, we might have to wait some time.
Maybe Boris will rise to the occasion if he gains a good majority, he seems to have won some brownie points so far with the public.