BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4981 Post by barkingmad » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:31 pm

FD2 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 pm
Maybe Boris could get some tips from her on how to sort out the UK's armed forces... =))
Initial training with broomsticks for weapons as in that infamous exercise last year or sometime?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4982 Post by barkingmad » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:50 am

Project Fear continues to disintegrate. Remember all the doom and gloom re Airboose upping sticks and leaving the UK?

This one is hot off the press this morning, allegedly.....

And in 5 minutes he manages to get in a swipe at some well-known targets.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4983 Post by barkingmad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 am

Shock Horror! We all got it wrong in 2016 and 2019!

I had to check the date to see if I’d RipVanWinkled until 1st April 2020. But no, it’s true, it must be, it’s reported in the ‘Independent’ newspaper!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 79996.html

A difficult link but hopefully you’ll get the message. Thanks to JeffTaylorYouTube Latest for alerting me to this one.

I don’t think we can let down our guard on Brexit just because BJ is at the helm. And now the Irish are banging on yet again about fishing rights. For how much longer can we put up with EUSSR intransigence and for how much longer can they put up with the UK before they tell us simply to P F O?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4984 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Just heard rumours of planning for a Brexit Party in Empuriabrava (E) midnight on January 31st. I'm sure many expats will be doing the same.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4985 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:23 am

Celebration or wake?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4986 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 am

I know one should nt cross post from TOP but I hope Alison will permit this or move it to the joke thread:
Remainer MEPs Fight for Their Pensions

Britain’s MEPs were called to a meeting at the EU Parliament this evening to discuss the ending of their mandates at the end of the month, how redundancies of both MEPs and staff will work, and how they need to go about shutting down their offices. Things were clearly in high spirits as Guido is informed Lib Dem and Labour MEPs went in determined to secure their pension rights. On the other hand, Farage has promised to not take a penny of his golden goodbye…

One Labour MEP desperately tried to justify why she deserved her full pension entitlement because she’s “been working really hard creating the biggest pro-EU movement in the UK”. Guido hears this caused laughter from all sides, including Brussels officials who spotted her movement clearly hadn’t worked…

Richard Corbett kept asking about whether he’d be able to get a ’widower’s pension’ and Caroline Voaden came out with the line “It shows just how unfair the system is” when she realised she won’t be getting her full pension. One source reports they think they spotted a couple of her colleagues in tears…

Unsurprisingly the Lib Dems were seething, with one telling Brexit Party MEP June Mummery to “shut up” when she tried talking, to which she fired back “shut yer big gob you”. One MEP tells Guido next time they’re definitely bringing popcorn…

POLITICO - FAREWELL TO STRASBOURG:

MEPs will be debating the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement this morning, with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen among the speakers due to address the European Parliament before lunchtime. For British MEPs it will be a glorious/bittersweet moment (delete as appropriate) as they begin their long goodbye to the EU’s institutions. They have until Thursday to vacate their Strasbourg bureaus, the Guardian’s Jennifer Rankin reports, although they will be allowed to keep their Brussels offices for another two and a half weeks. “Departing British MEPs will have to return access passes, special EU ‘laissez-passer’ cards, voting cards, office keys, iPads and laptops, as well as passes allowing free travel on the Belgian railway network SNCB,” she says. That’s got to hurt.....

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4987 Post by Woody » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am

The backsliding is continuing :-o
During the election, Boris Johnson said the chance of no trade deal being done with the EU by the end of 2020 was "absolutely zero".

In his interview this morning, he said it's "very, very, very likely" a deal will be done.

So, what will the PM say in another few months?
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4988 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Wake for Europe. Just spent an hour travelling across Paris followed by 90 minutes on a drafty French station platform on cracked broken seats with announcement in English that "some trains have been cancelled due to the General Strike but we cannot display this information on the electronic boards so go to SNCF.com.." which of course was overwhelmed and locked up.

Capetonian

#4989 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Paris Nord is a stinking putrid disgrace with obnoxious staff and appalling facilities. Compare it with St. Pancras, what a contrast!

I try to avoid Eurostar unless I can travel via Lille.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4990 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:59 pm

....and crap food, miniscule 'drinks' and high prices at what used to be the Montreaux Jazz Restaurant at the station......

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4991 Post by barkingmad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Apparently the latest dirty deal is to sacrifice our fisheries in order to bribe the other countries to keep using the City of London for shovelling megabucks around the financial systems of the world.
So guess who’s going to lose out on that one?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4992 Post by Boac » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm

Woody wrote:So, what will the PM say in another few months?

"I resign"?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4993 Post by barkingmad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:14 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm
Woody wrote:So, what will the PM say in another few months?

"I resign"?
Only if the Dominican monk will allow him once the master plan for the second coming has been satisfactorily completed.

Capetonian

#4994 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 pm

EU citizens will not be automatically deported even if they fail to apply to remain in the UK during the grace period provided by the Government, Guy Verhofstadt has claimed.
“I wanted to make sure there was no automatic deportation of these people after the grace period because there are people who are very vulnerable.
And he insisted that the UK would rejoin the European Union in the future, although he acknowledged this may not happen in his lifetime.
Am I missing something here?
Presumptuous wanker.
The UK will cease to be a member of the EU on 31JAN20.
WTF has it got to do with Guy Maurice Marie Louise Verhofstadt, a Belgian person who doesn't even appear to know if he/she is male or female, what decisions the UK might make about EU citizens in the UK?
What man is called Marie Louise FFS?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4995 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:39 pm

That gap-toothed tousle-haired idiot has a shorter memory span than yours truly!

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-ther ... residence/

But then November 2016 is an awful long time ago in the distorted memories of folks like GuyVerhof.

I wonder how long he’d survive in an east coast UK fishing town pub before he ended up on a mortuary slab being stared at by one of our TV coppers or forensic examiners?

Brexit: Big Ben fundraiser given £50,000 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51149531

I’d happily shin up there with a bowline on the bight and a big hammer and ear defenders to whack the Ben at the appropriate time and I’d donate the dosh to charity. What awful fate has befallen the country which gave the world the Industrial Revolution?

Please don’t bring in ElfinSafety, any excuse to stop things happening. It’s neither a farm but is a building site, nevertheless I don’t think it’s rocket science to ring a bell in the 21st century?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4996 Post by om15 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 am

Look at the situation today, on the one hand we have beaming enthusiastic Americans intent on working day and night to do trade deals, a big "can do" attitude to get thing done and looking forward to trading with us, on the other hand whey faced Walloons wringing their hands and saying that nothing can be achieved, we have to follow their rules and do as we are told etc, it is obvious the direction that we must take.

Anticipating the impending ban on EU cars in the UK I have been looking at likely American cars that I can swop my Fiat 1.1 Panda Eco for, narrowed the list down to a Cadillac Coup deVille, stylish and expansive, just the thing to drive into the new era of Anglo American relations.

It will be good to return to pints, gallons, yards, inches and lbs.

1959-Cadillac-Coupe-deVille-750x399.jpg

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4997 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 am

It will be good to return to pints, gallons, yards, inches and lbs.
As long as we can keep warm beer, big gallons, yards of 3 feet and not the back of a house.

And can we have fuel at £2/g please.

Remember when the news was "just passed £1/g" "just passed £1/l". At least we have yet to reach the average tank full at £100 though I usually pay £80.

Capetonian

#4998 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:48 pm

The British economy is set to outpace the eurozone in the first two years after Brexit, according to projections published today by the International Monetary Fund.
That will upset the Remoaners and prophets of doom.

Capetonian

#4999 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 am

French chef claims Home Office has rejected his residency application after 23 years in UK.

Some wanking French chef has managed to get his 15 minutes of 'fame' by claiming that although he has been in the UK for 23 years and paid taxes in the UK for more than two decades in a place he “considered home” he felt he had been told he was “not welcome any more”.

Now it's time to get the violins out because he has employed 60 staff and has two children and another on the way, and he doesn't feel welcome. He probably isn't, but that misses the point.

The cilly sunt filled in the wrong forms and that is why his application was rejected. He asked for a status that he wasn't entitled to, rather than the one to which he was entitled. You have to dig deep into the hysterical articles to see that.

Thus he gets into the news. I made a silly mistake yesterday at the bank. Did I blame the bank? Did I get myself into the news? No, I didn't.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5000 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:51 am

Yes, we need to reinstitute the stocks for One Night Only on Brexit Night. Theresa May, Gina Miller, that wretched Supreme Court Judge Baroness Hale and a few others should be put in display as the traitors to democracy that they are.