BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5341 Post by barkingmad » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:38 am

And now, sticking his head above the slime we have Brian ‘Witches’ Coveney mouthing off about the UK and our ‘lawbreaking’.

It’s not so long ago since this example of the Oirish breaking the rules was raised and I’m not sure if it was ever settled in the legal sense;

“Apple taxation case.
See also: EU illegal State aid case against Apple in Ireland
In 2016, following a 2-year investigation, the European Commission ruled that the Republic of Ireland had given tax rulings to Apple Inc that acted as a form of illegal state aid under EU competition law. Apple has been using a customized variation of the "double Irish" tax avoidance system (used by many US multinationals in Ireland). The rulings from the Irish Revenue Commissioners, which enabled the customization, were deemed to be unfair state aid. The Commission stated that as a result, Apple would have to pay €13 billion in Irish taxes (2004-2014), plus interest penalties, to the Irish government.[13] The Irish cabinet stated they would challenge the Commission's finding of state aid and would appeal against the ruling.[14]”

And as aviation folk some of us here recall the various bungs thrown at European airlines to keep them airborne, in direct contravention of the ‘club’ rules.

The stench of hypocrisy is getting me at the back of my throat, ‘scuse me whilst I go and gag!
Did someone say something about ‘mote’ and ‘eye’?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5342 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 am

To bring your post up-to-date https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53416206

More detail https://www.jonesday.com/en/insights/20 ... e-tax-case

PS Could not find anything relevant from a 'Brian' Coveney, only a 'Simon'? Do you have a link?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5343 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:27 am

If you are the only man on the field playing by the rules, when everyone else is bending them- you may feel virtuous.

But you're going to lose.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5344 Post by barkingmad » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:37 am

boac, "PS Could not find anything relevant from a 'Brian' Coveney, only a 'Simon'?" is my error.

You are correct, he is a (simple) Simon and well spotted, just like my former dog. :O3

And thank you for the update on the Irish Apple case, best news I've heard all day! :-bd

Here, from 1'00' until 12' 40" is another take on the awful fact that the UK has now joined North Korea in the Rogue State league;

https://www.spiked-online.com/podcast-e ... gue-state/

The audio-only podcast also contains the following topics which might interest those who have not totally lost the will to live-"Will lockdown illiberalism ever end? Is the British press Islamophobic?"

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5345 Post by OFSO » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Sadly I have lost the will to live. Also lost the will to understand anything. Can't be bothered any more...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5346 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Weenie! :)) There are stills seats available on the outrage bus.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5347 Post by barkingmad » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:49 pm
Weenie! :)) There are stills seats available on the outrage bus.
OFSO, YOU BAG JESSY ! !

Actually I’d prefer ‘movie’ seats if they’re still on sale?🧐

‘Stills’ are relatively boring...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5348 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Stills 'cos it ain't going anywhere?

PS I think I have PN-itis......................... :))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5349 Post by barkingmad » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Previously, “As for the ghastly 2 has-beens who’ve popped up in the pulp press bemoaning our perfidy, was it not Major who signed up the UK, without assent or consent from the electorate, into the political slime which is the current European “Union”?

And was it not Bliar who committed the UK to ‘liberating’ Iraq from a fate worse than death.”

And sure enough, here’s a collection of ! ! !s & ? ? ?s to keep some of you engrossed;

I’d happily pay a taxi-driver who becomes an undertaker to remove these two relics plus the ghastly Maybot to a place from whence they could never darken our days again! [-X

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5350 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:00 pm

UP - any progress on Clause 8.735?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5351 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:06 am

OK - no sign of it. The ?fake? news from OM15 that Mr Plum has discovered a document (no doubt containing a piece of lead pipe) in his conservatory that will kill Mrs Brexit was of great concern, but is now dismissed.

Another breathless government puppet on TV this morning threatening the EU could 'prevent the UK exporting food stuffs to NI' is, as far as I can see, utter crap and should be treated as such until someone explains in an adult way (a challenge indeed for this government and others) how they will do that to a sovereign state, post Brexit.

This staunch Brexiteer hopes the bill is killed ('Kill Bill'?) either in the house, which is unlikely or in the Lords, and we just get on with leaving, telling Brussels to 'naff off' if that is how they want it.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5352 Post by barkingmad » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm

If the Brits could get across to the Irish just how awful life will be for them soon, as net contributors towards the sinking ship of fools, then they might opt to jump ship, join the UK again and solve the border on the Ayeland of Orland once and for all.

And then I woke up...

Edit to add: Telling Brussels to "naff off" is hardly diplomatic language, dear boy. Didn't they teach you politeness at Sleaford Tech? :))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5353 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:20 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm
If the Brits could get across to the Irish just how awful life will be for them soon, as net contributors towards the sinking ship of fools, then they might opt to jump ship, join the UK again and solve the border on the Ayeland of Orland once and for all.
Don't forget how much Eire received from the EEC when they joined.

It’s important to reflect on Ireland’s EU membership and the many positive impacts it’s had, and is still having, on the country. Joining the EU is undoubtedly the most significant step the country has taken on its journey as an independent nation. Almost every aspect of Irish life has improved, from how we work, travel and shop to the quality of our environment, our opportunities for learning and the way our businesses buy and sell their goods and services.
Click to view source.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5354 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 pm

BM wrote:If the Brits could get across to the Irish
- stop there - you have summed up the intellect of the Irish.

PS Not a product of Sleaford Tech.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5355 Post by ian16th » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:02 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:20 pm
barkingmad wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm
Don't forget how much Eire received from the EEC when they joined.

It’s important to reflect on Ireland’s EU membership and the many positive impacts it’s had, and is still having, on the country. Joining the EU is undoubtedly the most significant step the country has taken on its journey as an independent nation. Almost every aspect of Irish life has improved, from how we work, travel and shop to the quality of our environment, our opportunities for learning and the way our businesses buy and sell their goods and services.
Click to view source.
An official website of the European Union

So a 100% unbiased opinion.
Cynicism improves with age

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5356 Post by barkingmad » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:08 pm

G-CPTN, whizz across to the Chaos in Oireland thread, page 3 (!), sorry, no excitement there, and read through the posts, including yer own, re the penalties which will hit every person in the ROI hard in their pockets, €3,201 per capita, not taking into account their national debt.

Re your post from Europa.eu or wotever, (100% unbiased opinion.) well they would say that wouldn’t they, as by now the sound of the approaching train should be heard by the ROI inhabitants if they became aware of how to put an ear on the tracks.

But doubtless when reality hits, their various Prime Ministers, or whatever they’re known as (Tea Shock to us non-Oirish!) will turn around and blame it on perfidious Albion yet again for daring to do what they should have done?

The plain man’s guide to the benefit to the Oirish when they first became enmeshed in the EUSSR web, currency and all, was that for every €1 they paid to Brussels/Strasbourg, they got €6 back in return so that WAS a no-brainer. But alas, not any more as a result of their economy becoming sooooh healthy, they are now net contributors to the bloc.

None of their MSM is making this clear yet to the man on the Dublin tram, but when they do wake up, then watch that space closely.

Re the intent for the EUSSR to try to starve NornIron into submission with a food siege reminds me of Atlantic convoys, only this time Angular Meerkat and UVDL’s U-boats are in the Irish Sea, ably assisted by Frog trawlers to do the surface surveillance.

And curiously the videos I posted then have been taken down so what does that say about EUSSR ‘democracy’?

This will not end well...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5357 Post by barkingmad » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 pm

This from the ‘europa’ bollocks which I have to assume Paddy & Bridget have not made part of their bedtime reading;

“The country was a net recipient of European funds up to the 2014-2020 Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) EU budget. This basically meant we got more money out of the EU than we put in. Ireland is expected to become a net contributor to the MFF for 2021-2027. Contributions from Member States are based on their financial capacity.
According to figures from Ireland’s Department of Finance (link is external), Ireland has been technically a net contributor to the EU Budget since 2013. However, from 1973 up to 2018 the country had a net benefit of over €40 billion.”

So €40,000,000,000 over 45 years is the net benefit, not a lot at less than 1 bill per annum?

The last figure I saw for their immediate net contribution to the Eurocrats’ bubbly funds was €2,000,000,000 per annum, so obviously the anaesthetic effects of Guinness and Jamieson’s whiskey must be keeping the population blissfully ignorant of how much it is now and will hurt in the near future.

And that is excluding the damage the TeaShock has acknowledged will be done to their economy as a direct result of the UK’s break for freedom.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5358 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:56 pm

And curiously the videos I posted then have been taken down
Here we go again!

Which videos?
Posted where?
Posted when?

Still got that postage stamp?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5359 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Still waiting for someone to explain how the EU is to 'split the UK asunder' post-Brexit - will there be a blockade by the Swiss or Botswanan Navy, and a little confused about the Irish Sea border which I thought was a BoJo suggestion?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5360 Post by Woody » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:25 am

Re the intent for the EUSSR to try to starve NornIron into submission with a food siege reminds me of Atlantic convoys, only this time Angular Meerkat and UVDL’s U-boats are in the Irish Sea, ably assisted by Frog trawlers to do the surface surveillance
Don’t worry Boris is going to build a bridge :p
When all else fails, read the instructions.