BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5401 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Could do with either some text or a link as I have looked at both and cannot see the headline?

I do not view either regularly!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5402 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:56 pm

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5403 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:04 pm
Could do with either some text or a link as I have looked at both and cannot see the headline?

I do not view either regularly!
In the best traditions of ‘Anyface’ procedures, I guide you to within missile-aiming distance of the target!

Trailer for inside pages item, just to the starboard side of the ‘Matt’ cartoon?!

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/daily ... age-today/

Any more ‘librarian’ requests and I will be forced to post another taxidriving undertaker video, though that would disturb TGG & Bob, neither of whom deserve it... 8-}

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5404 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Spare us the latest undertaker, if you would?

I could not, even at max zoom, read the massive headline article you mentioned, so am still ignorant of the threat facing the nation. Can you explain? Nothing in the on-line Telegraph I could find in 10 minutes.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5405 Post by llondel » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:59 pm

ECHR is a completely separate institution to the EU.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5406 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:56 pm
Spare us the latest undertaker, if you would?

I could not, even at max zoom, read the massive headline article you mentioned, so am still ignorant of the threat facing the nation. Can you explain? Nothing in the on-line Telegraph I could find in 10 minutes.
And there was me thinking you were one of our best IT geeks in the O-N community?! But if you're solely a Windows/MS user then 'tis understandable, even forgivable.

Talking of max zoom, there's a very good branch of Specsavers not too far away from me in Barnard Castle...

Either iPhone or iPad allows fingers to enlarge the print enabling a fighting chance of reading these snippets, so here it is, lovingly transcribed for your elucidation;

"EU deal could tie UK to human rights court.

British negotiators are close to a deal keeping the UK subject to European Court of Human Rights rulings after Brexit. The EU says respect for the European Convention on Human Rights and its Strasbourg court is a condition for co-operation in law enforcement when the transition period ends on Dec 31. Quitting the international accord would have meant Britain sacrificing a new extradition treaty and access to EU criminal databases, said sources in Brussels. Page 8"

llondel, I only quote the item as requested, I am not going to enter discussions as under which empire within the entire EU alphabet soup the obligation would lay interred.
The list of EU-derived acronyms rapidly saps what is left of my will to live in these dystopian days!! #-o

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT-EU NEVER signed up to ECHR!

#5407 Post by barkingmad » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 pm

NO apologies for this one but he seems to have yet again done his homework and more importantly uncovered some previously unknown facts about the ECHR and the EU which no one has previously highlighted.

e.g. Didi anyone know that the EU was not a signatory and therefore not subject to the same institution to which they are insisting that we, the UK, pledge allegiance after we’ve left the bloc? That is, if we ever escape!

Only yet another example of the supreme hypocrisy of the EUSSR which puts the UK’s potential and threatened infraction of international law look like very small beer indeed.

These legal texts are classic lawyers (wet) dreams and obviously designed to confuse any of the 500,000,000 peasants imprisoned therein, should they decide to check the small print.

It took me 2 viewings to make sure I’d got the message on this one. ~X(

bo, I trust this is an adequate link for you to follow the story started a few posts ago? =))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5408 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Did I just see the Fat Lady donning her dress, assembling makeup and singing scales in preparation for the big event?

This will mean the last 4 years have been a complete waste of effort and we can now look forwards to naval engagements with our historical allies, Les Frogs!?

Most Brexiteers were saying years ago, walk away and start again but oh no, our guvvments thought better of it.

And now having made a hash of escaping the EUSSR lockdown of 4 decades, they’re now putting their own populace under house arrest. Is there something I might be missing? :-?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5409 Post by Woody » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5410 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

Well - will he or won't he? Beware the ides of October.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5411 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:22 pm

It is looking as if the 'million to one' chance will happen. The 'oven-ready' deal was slightly under-cooked.

At least the EU have been told not to bother coming to the UK for the meetings next week.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5412 Post by barkingmad » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 am

I was under the impression that this year Hallow’en was the end of the Transition Period and that after that we were out, sans deal in this case and no obligations to pour loadsa dosh, which we haven’t got, into the coffers of the EUSSR?

Oct 31st came and went, not with a bang but a whimper, that noise being unheard in the shambolic process of announcing Lockdown 2.0 by BoJo and his highly qualified team of medical eggspurts.

Is that the same BoJo who chanted Get Brexit Done ad nauseam in order to get elected?

I may have to pop in and ask my old friend Jeff Taylor to come along and brief us all, suitably socially distanced of course! =))

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5413 Post by ian16th » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:00 pm

Heres a turn up for the book!
The Irish PM is concerned that No Deal will be 'ruinous' for the UK.
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5414 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:07 pm

Oh my God, it is that awful taxi driver again! Who will rid us of the bumbling moustache?

"Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there!
He wasn't there again today,
Oh how I wish he'd go away!"

When I came home last night at three,
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall,
I couldn't see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door...

Last night I saw upon the stair,
A little man who wasn't there,
He wasn't there again today
Oh, how I wish he'd go away....
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5415 Post by barkingmad » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:26 pm

TGG sez: “Oh my God, it is that awful taxi driver again! Who will rid us of the bumbling moustache?”

Was this the guy to whom you referred? No wonder those damned furriners are obsessed with our little fishies;

But deeply satisfying to learn that the EUSSR is up against the UN, a truly worthy opponent...:YMAPPLAUSE: :)) =))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5416 Post by barkingmad » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Meanwhile, as we search our navels for traces of Covid-1984 infectious droplets, somewhere in a land far far away, a couple are arguing their way and wasting valuable time and lawyers’ fees over what any sensible person would long ago have classified as a welcome and long-overdue divorce;

As I am sensitive to the allergic reactions of some O-N members I have not included today the latest address from our favourite taxi-driving undertaker, though according to SAGE we will all meet him soon if we’re not good little girls and boys! [-X

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5417 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Highly recommended to folks like bm...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benefits-Brexi ... 789266769/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5418 Post by OFSO » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:19 am

A brilliant article, read this morning but which I can no longer find, on the multi billion euro road being built, subsidised by the EU, and described as a 'prestige project' in a French province. A miracle of engineering since it's built in the sea - alongside the coast - on the island of Réunion. It was apparently 'not possible' to widen the existing parallel road.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5419 Post by barkingmad » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:20 am

OFSO, does your superfluous road qualify for EUSSR funding like these white elephants?

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-wast ... -auditors/

I suppose we should have cracked on with maximum speed and cost with Boris’ island airport in the River Thames, in order to harmonise our activities with that great economic bloc anchored off the S E Kent coast, whilst slapping together Heathrow’s turd runway to cope with the demand until Thames treasure island was fully functional?

Re the Brexit Benefits book TGG recommended for us swivel-eyed looney freedom fighters, I’m surprised anyone with a neuron or two would buy a book authored by someone named Wilbert Wellington-Boot and then castigate it in a review not realising the spoof by which they’ve been suckered.

I have a similar slim volume on my heavily laden bookshelves as per this advert and it was excellent value;

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5420 Post by OFSO » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:24 am

... Or the huge roundabouts everywhere in Catalunia, built after much perusing of EU rule books, when it was found that construction of roundabouts with a diameter exceeding 18 metres together with their approach roads could be funded in full by the EU. Useful for the six week season when everybody is here. For the other 46 weeks of the year, a bit empty....