BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5501 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:41 am

And from BJs interview with the Telegraph
European goods will still flow into Britain because we have not lost “our massive appetite for their Maseratis or gewürztraminer” – referring to sports cars and a variety of wine grape .
WTF? You can almost imagine some holiday junior duty copy writer shouting out what's Maserati? And typing the answer in.
Even in our little hamlet, amongst all the Range Rovers and Tesla we have a Maserati and our Coop sells gewürztraminer.

😁

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5502 Post by om15 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:19 pm

All is well in the world today, here's to the future.
EqmnqD1XUAEQqLA.jpg

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5503 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:07 am

Om, that is not a good picture. That is nowhere near a glass half full. He would have been better with a cup runneth over. 🍷

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5504 Post by barkingmad » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:28 am

om15, that post was distinctly unfair and cruel!

You should know by now due to the allergies and sensitivities of some O-N members, posting still or moving pictures or references to Nigel Farage can cause some to choke on their toast or to suffer some form of Annaprophylactic (!) shock which would require immediate skilled first-aid and possibly a rapid transfer to (what’s left of) A&E in UK or to ER in the States!

Please preface such posts in future with the standard broadcasters’ Warning: Contains scenes of an upsetting nature which some viewers may find...(insert your choice of negative side-effects to complete the script) [-X

P S, not only is the glass configuration wrong but the fag ash is precarious and a hazard too!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5505 Post by om15 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:18 pm

I am pleased that this image has brought you joy, I too found it most uplifting.

Positive thoughts for 2021, we now have four Royal Navy ships patrolling the British fishing waters, VAT is removed from ladies necessities and no more live animal transportations to the Continent, and it is only day 2!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5506 Post by OFSO » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:44 pm

On the Spanish website I have just read that Spain won't be asking for a Visa from visiting British, the EU health card will remain valid until replaced by the Global Card, also valid, and you will still be able to drive on a British licence when in Spain. Other countries (so far Greece, Portugal) which need British tourist money are doing the same. France's foreign minister stated similar measures will be in place to make it as easy as possible for British entering France. So much for the Remoaners Project Fear !

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5507 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:08 pm

I travelled to France by car in 1965 for the le Mans race and I don't recall it being onerous.

Prior to that I had been on several school trips to Germany (via Belgium) and Austria.
We travelled across the Channel by ferry then by coach (locally sourced) or by train.
Of course the organisation was all done by the school.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5508 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:27 pm

OFSO, then there is the cost benefit of job creation at border posts - yeah right - are the Germans going to set up border posts in case the odd Brit choses to go that way?

Travelling from UK we had to show passports. Travelling into France we had to show passports. What will change?

Only a few years ago, disembarking from a cruise ship we were not allowed off without passports and French police borded each bus check everyone. Rarely elsewhere in the World did we need to show passports, Russia did but none of the Baltic States did.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5509 Post by ian16th » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 pm

In 1957-8, I travelled to and from France on a RAF Form 1250!
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5510 Post by Woody » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:48 pm

Anyone remember the group school passports :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5511 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Is this more good news?

It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5512 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:09 pm

But does this screw Gibraltar? Gib was noted for its very low duty free prices, cheaper than the cruise ship which had a price promise.

We would photograph a shop display price then get the same price on board without the hassle of carrying it from the shop.

Will that stop now?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5513 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:42 pm

I've just remembered that my employer sent me to work at their facility in Germany in 1969.
At very short notice - next day despatch without warning.
No hassle.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5514 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:16 am

G CPTN, entering Turkey, then Greece I had lots of stamps in my passport, for Yugoslavia a visa too. At the Austrian border no exit check but I think a check into Austria. Exiting Austria we ran the border at Salt burg worried we would be stopped having collected a parking ticket the night before. As we were carrying Cyprus plates and I had all the registration docs in the car there was no way of tracing the car after that.
Once in Germany the next check was at Calais and the ferry home.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5515 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 am

Once queuing to drive onto the Euoport to Hull ferry, the middle aged couple in front of me passed their passports to the Dutch immigration guy, who looked at them and passed them back.
The couple passed the passports back to him and demanded that he stamped their passports! It seemed that they collected them!!!

When I got to the gate and leaned across from my RHD driving position, he asked me if I wanted him to stamp my passport.

I declined his kind offer!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5516 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Ian, it's funny how some officials find a blank page, others happy to use space available and others find the previous in/out and stamp below it. For all the countries I have visited passport inspection was infrequent.

A friend, presenting his passport to the Russian officials for the first time was greeted with "welcome back 'Mr Bond'" Names changed to protect the guilty.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5517 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:32 pm

It tends to be the tin pot little places that try to be officious, plus the USA of course.

Walking back and forth on the Victoria Falls bridge, betwixt Zimbabwe and Zambia was rather spoilt by officialdom.

Travel between ZA and Swaziland was simple though. They were more interested in my car documentation than my passport.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5518 Post by llondel » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:14 pm
Ian, it's funny how some officials find a blank page, others happy to use space available and others find the previous in/out and stamp below it. For all the countries I have visited passport inspection was infrequent.
I assume the ones that put the exit stamp by the entry stamp do it to make it easier for whoever gets to check your next entry to that country. Or they have some form of OCD.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5519 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:29 am

I actually meant find the previous pair from an earlier trip.

In Barbados I only ever get an exit stamp and they are all together.

How to piss off the Turks. Get a visa before you travel. That way they don't get to trouser a nice new £20 note.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5520 Post by barkingmad » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Ooh dear, another spat over Twatter noises breaks out with inter-party rivalry as to who can score the most points!

"Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner has demanded the Conservative Party takes action against a Welsh Senedd member who compared protesters at the US Capitol to those who supported a second referendum on Brexit.
Andrew RT Davies, the Welsh Conservatives' health spokesman and former leader in the Senedd, had responded to a tweet by Sir Keir Starmer in which the Labour leader described the "horrendous scenes" in Washington DC as "a direct attack on democracy".
Quoting the tweet, Mr Davies wrote: "To be honest I'm not sure you're in the strongest position right now given you campaigned to overturn democracy and the will of the British people."
Following criticism, Mr Davies later tweeted: "Violence must never be tolerated and I will work with politicians of all persuasions to ensure we never see scenes like those in Washington in this country. No one should be in any doubt about my position on this."
On Thursday, Ms Rayner wrote to Tory Party chairwoman Amanda Milling, calling for an urgent inquiry into Mr Davies' comments, for his membership to be suspended, and for him to be prevented from standing as a Tory candidate in May's Welsh Parliament election.
Ms Rayner said: "To equate peaceful democratic debate in the UK with deadly violence in the USA validates the violence that we have seen in Washington DC, serves to legitimise and incite violence in our own country and undermines our democracy and democratic processes."
She also called for action to be taken against Susan Hall, leader of the Conservative Group on the Greater London Assembly, who made the same comparison on Twitter.
Ms Hall said in a tweet: "I am flabbergasted at the amount of Remainers screaming on Twitter that Trump voters should respect democracy – err hellooo – pot – kettle spring to mind!"
Mr Davies' comments were condemned by former Conservative MP Alistair Burt, who described the tweet as an "appalling and completely unworthy analogy", adding: "Have you taken leave of your senses equating the two?
"If you are an office holder of any sort in the Conservative Party, resign now."
Welsh First Minister and Welsh Labour leader Mark Drakeford tweeted: "There is no excuse for using this moment to further entrench divisions in our society."
Labour MP for Rhondda Chris Bryant said he has also written to Ms Milling demanding Mr Davies' suspension, accusing him of "deliberate equation of democratic debate in the UK with the armed, violent assault on the Capitol and the incendiary validation of violence".
A Welsh Conservative Party spokesman said: 'The scenes in Washington last night were disgraceful and unacceptable. We totally condemn them. We are investigating these comments."

That should take the heat off Mark Drakeford for a while over his draconian measures to 'control the virus'?