BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4261 Post by FD2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:23 am

PN - 'Skegness too. It was extra if you had the car washed in the shed.'

Does that mean they had to get the old Brillo Pads out for the specially dirty bits? ;))) :D

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4262 Post by Woody » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:30 pm

I wonder who had more people vote for them ,Him or Boris ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... ting-story
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4263 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:40 pm

I had to think for a moment what the UKIP stood for.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4264 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:14 pm

I suppose he's lucky his surname is 'Braine'.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4265 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Less?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4266 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 pm

'Head'
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4267 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:14 pm

When I get round to writing the definitive comedy about Brexit I am going to ask Jeremy Corbyn to play himself.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4268 Post by Woody » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Who knew that there’s a plan :(
Botswana University to offer Brexit course
A course about Brexit, the UK's plan to leave the European Union, is to be offered as an option by the University of Botswana's history department.

The course, called Modern Britain, will "study the crisis" as it happens, a notice shared on Twitter said.

Students will, however, not sit for an exam.

Bruce Bennett from the university confirmed to the BBC that the course will be offered.

"[It] is intended to link the present crisis, which is of interest to many people, to the historical background," he said.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4269 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 pm

As a matter of record, Boris's letter to Donald Tusk rejecting the backstop and asking for a new Deal.
It quite cogently makes clear that May's Withdrawal Agreement was wholly undemocratic.
And, indeed, not a withdrawal at all.

Sisemen

#4270 Post by Sisemen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 am

Brilliant reply.

They don’t like it up ‘em Captain, they don’t like it up ‘em!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4271 Post by llondel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 am

+1.

I thought that was pretty good too. The EU tactic of "we don't like that answer, vote again" failed twice and they know they're not going to get another crack at it. Provided Boris can convince them that he can deliver No Deal (and the sooner the better), the more likely they are to be prepared to talk. At the moment they're banking on him getting booted and a government that will either cancel Brexit or be more amenable to their unreasonable terms being put in its place.

A lot of people don't see it, but behind the buffoon is a brain. He's perfectly capable when he chooses to be but too many are incapable of seeing it, which I guess is why he does it.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#4272 Post by Smeagol » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:45 am

+2

...and why oh why has no-one said exactly that before?

I guess because there was never a real commitment to 'Leave' before.

(Seem to have answered my own question there....)
We hates Bagginses!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4273 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:27 am

This argument, and all the other good arguments, about anything, have been there since Day One, Minute One. I know that because the good commentators here have expressed them. But the politicians don't, and the media are incapable of doing it themselves and refuse to interview anyone who can make them. Furthermore, Parliaments have sessions (my own Provincial one is the same) for questions, but there are never any straight answers, so debate is impossible. All the guff from Project Fear shows that now whole departments of the civil service can be roped in to write total boll#cks on behalf of one side of the argument. Rational argument is very largely dead, because there's always one side that refuses to engage, and there is nothing I can see that will change that. Every 4 years or so one gets to put one side of the argument in power, but rational solutions have gone. Furthermore, the increasing convergence of political parties to the center left, and I include everything that calls itself Conservative in western countries, means one only gets to put a different shade of one side of the argument into power.
The rise of Trump, and TBP is a response to that. Unfortunately, they too are mainly a response on the other side of the argument, not necessarily willing to engage in rational debate.
Parliaments need Answer sessions, not Question sessions. The obligation of all governments and MPs to give straight answers and argue rationally needs to be written into constitutions somehow. Then people like Dianne Abbott would be back cleaning Maccy D's at two in the morning, and Dominic Grieve would be a Parkie, which is all their talents would justify.

Capetonian

#4274 Post by Capetonian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Does anyone see the parallels here? Rhodesia prospered under UDI from 1965 until the mid 80s when the cabal of savages supported by the slimy do-gooders of the west started their process of destruction.
Whereas in the course of human affairs history has shown that it may become necessary for a people to resolve the political affiliations which have connected them with another people and to assume amongst other nations the separate and equal status to which they are entitled:

And Whereas in such event a respect for the opinions of mankind requires them to declare to other nations the causes which impel them to assume full responsibility for their own affairs:

Now Therefore, We, The Government of Rhodesia, Do Hereby Declare:

That it is an indisputable and accepted historic fact that since 1923 the Government of Rhodesia have exercised the powers of self-government and have been responsible for the progress, development and welfare of their people;

That the people of Rhodesia having demonstrated their loyalty to the Crown and to their kith and kin in the United Kingdom and elsewhere through two world wars, and having been prepared to shed their blood and give of their substance in what they believed to be the mutual interests of freedom-loving people, now see all that they have cherished about to be shattered on the rocks of expediency;

That the people of Rhodesia have witnessed a process which is destructive of those very precepts upon which civilization in a primitive country has been built, they have seen the principles of Western democracy, responsible government and moral standards crumble elsewhere, nevertheless they have remained steadfast;

That the people of Rhodesia fully support the requests of their government for sovereign independence but have witnessed the consistent refusal of the Government of the United Kingdom to accede to their entreaties;

That the Government of the United Kingdom have thus demonstrated that they are not prepared to grant sovereign independence to Rhodesia on terms acceptable to the people of Rhodesia, thereby persisting in maintaining an unwarrantable jurisdiction over Rhodesia, obstructing laws and treaties with other states and the conduct of affairs with other nations and refusing assent to laws necessary for the public good, all this to the detriment of the future peace, prosperity and good government of Rhodesia;

That the Government of Rhodesia have for a long period patiently and in good faith negotiated with the Government of the United Kingdom for the removal of the remaining limitations placed upon them and for the grant of sovereign independence;

That in the belief that procrastination and delay strike at and injure the very life of the nation, the Government of Rhodesia consider it essential that Rhodesia should attain, without delay, sovereign independence, the justice of which is beyond question;

Now Therefore, We The Government of Rhodesia, in humble submission to Almighty God who controls the destinies of nations, conscious that the people of Rhodesia have always shown unswerving loyalty and devotion to Her Majesty the Queen and earnestly praying that we and the people of Rhodesia will not be hindered in our determination to continue exercising our undoubted right to demonstrate the same loyalty and devotion, and seeking to promote the common good so that the dignity and freedom of all men may be assured, Do, By This Proclamation, adopt, enact and give to the people of Rhodesia the Constitution annexed hereto;
God Save The Queen

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4275 Post by om15 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:56 pm

The letter from Boris makes reference on page 3 to a "transition period", what transition period is this? we have been told that we are leaving without a deal on 31st October, no mention of a further period of transition.
My guess is that Boris is banking on Gyppo Corbyn and the Tory traitors Grieve, Letwin and Gauke being able to stop him, thus preventing a no deal but saving face.

Million to one on leaving with no deal, his words not mine.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4276 Post by llondel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:29 pm

What he could propose is that the UK leaves on the 31st October but will stick to EU rules for another year (the transition period) provided they reciprocate. That would give them a whole year to have serious talks rather than the sham we've been seeing for the past couple of years.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4277 Post by barkingmad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 pm

The Boris letter comes in for considerable criticism from Nigel Fromage on yesterday's LBC phone-in show.

The implication being that Boris is softening his previous hard line on UK departure.

As the MSM coverage is less than informative I am having to re-view the "Brexbox" Youtube videos, all 4 of them, in order to get a different perspective and that from within the lions' den of Brussels&Strasbourg.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4278 Post by llondel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Nige needs to realise that at this point the important thing is to get over that line without committing the UK to anything crazy like the backstop. He'd probably consider my approach above to be heresy, but it achieves the goal. A good deal is desirable and better than No Deal, but there are also deals that are worse (such as May's WA).

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4279 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Llondel, I think you are on message. That TO (another thing we didn't vote on) is probably more significant than the WA. I don't think Boris set a time limit.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4280 Post by barkingmad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:03 pm

On UK TV news this evening it looks like Boris is having SourKraut for dinner?