BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Sisemen

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4681 Post by Sisemen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 am

Is the collective term “jizz” for wankers?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4682 Post by FD2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am

Certainly should be for that lot!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4683 Post by om15 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:26 am

Looks like rather a stormy phone call this morning between Mrs Merkel and Boris, she appears oblivious to his charms and the joyous sight of a No deal is coming over hill, church bells will ring throughout the land if that is the case.
SNP having another go and launching an appeal in Edinburgh, fingers crossed that the intransigence of the EU make any form of deal impossible and away we go in a few weeks, followed by a general election.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4684 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm rather glad the EU and the Remainers are opening up like this in the last couple of months. It's quite clear, just from a logical examination of their statements, that they had zero intention of ever giving the UK a deal, or voting for one, that actually involved the UK leaving the single market and controlling free movement. It therefore renders every word of the Lisbon Treaty and 2015 GE party manifestos a complete lie.
I'm not quite sure whether they are doing this because they are so frustrated they aren't thinking about what they are saying, or so arrogant they don't care. It would appear Merkel is convinced the UK is either going going to get an extension because Boris is powerless against the Benn Bill, or the UK is leaving. I can't quite work out which.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4685 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:23 pm

We've still got our garden/barn/fireworks party arranged for 31st Oct.

We had a good one for 21st March, though Madam Maybe made an arse of us all on that occasion. This time we are going for it, come what may.

A pig roast of an astonishingly fat piglet called Boris who has a screwy willy; and a roast Texel called Angela whose geodetic flattening constant isn't much. Both are being fed like French geese in December and are being forced to exercise like kids at army bootcamp so they build up muscle. My khukri is sharp enough to shave with already and will be used to do the deed.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4686 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Guys, this is getting serious. From our local Press & Journal newspaper:
Toilet paper manufacturer voices concerns over no-deal Brexit supplies
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4687 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm

The Benn Act prevents No Deal. The EU will not agree Deal. As we cannot leave with No Deal, we remain?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4688 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:29 pm

You really have to laugh. Merkel tells Boris today that there's no way he's going to get a deal with the EU. An EU Commission spokesman says that is not the EU's position.

Out, and out now !

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4689 Post by llondel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm
The Benn Act prevents No Deal. The EU will not agree Deal. As we cannot leave with No Deal, we remain?
Not true. The Surrender Act does not cope at all with the case where the EU declines to grant an extension. If this were to happen the default at that point would be to leave on the 31st with no deal.

I'm also fascinated by this bit of the Act:
(4) Nothing in this section shall prevent the Prime Minister from agreeing to an extension of the period specified in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union otherwise than in accordance with this section.
My brain interprets that as saying he could agree an extension to 11:01pm on the 31st. The Act gives him specific instructions to agree to whatever period is proposed by the EU unless Parliament passes a motion to relieve him of that requirement.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4690 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:51 pm

The Benn Bill is effectively the HoC acting as the Government, nevermind its pointlessness. In fact by forcing the UK Government to accept whatever the EU proposes it is having the EU act as the UK government. This is not the way the UK Constitution works, nor is it the way any country can function effectively. If the Courts do not allow Boris to ignore it, then the Courts and the Law come under scrutiny as unfit for purpose.
All of the above is true whatever one's party support or opinion on Brexit. What is very sad is that those who see the Benn Bill as expedient will throw 800 years of government out the window to get one more pointless delay. It becomes immediately apparent why Bliar, as well as setting up the Supreme Court, also removed the death penalty for treason.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4691 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:01 pm

Not true. The Surrender Act does not cope at all with the case where the EU declines to grant an extension. If this were to happen the default at that point would be to leave on the 31st with no deal.
Not quite what I said. I never mentioned an extension.
whatever the EU proposes
But if the EU makes no proposal? I don't know how the Benn Act would require us to leave. If all we have to do is wait till 31st and leave, why bash your head on a brick wall first.

With No Deal on both sides and No Deal on the table that points to remain - no strings - with the next play back in the Supreme Court - a de facto extension.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4692 Post by llondel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 pm

The default at the moment is that the UK leaves on the 31st, deal or no deal, if there is no extension. The Act makes no mention of requiring a deal to be agreed, although even "we agree that the deal is WTO" is technically a deal. So no extension and the UK is out on the 31st October. The whole point of the Act was to attempt to prevent No Deal but they either assumed the EU would play ball and string it out a bit longer or they knew that they couldn't put a "or we'll remain" clause in the Bill and get it passed and took the chance that the EU would agree.

I think Merkel got it right with her comment, the chance of agreeing a deal is vanishingly small at this point because they know Boris won't bend over as readily as his predecessors and I think the EU is not prepared to give ground to the extent that the UK wants. Perhaps if we'd started three years ago with No Deal as the initial position then over that period they might have managed to come up with something but not at this late stage where everyone is generally pissed off and attitudes have hardened.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4693 Post by Woody » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 pm

The prorogation ceremony has just finished, bringing an end to the longest session since the English civil war, at 349 sitting days (or two years and three months).
Possibly the least effective since the last Civil War :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4694 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Perhaps it should be called the Second Rump Parliament, since:
1) It's full of @ssholes
2) It needs to be got rid of Cromwell-style.
It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place,which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.
Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.
Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?
Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?
Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.
Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.
I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.
Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4695 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Fox3, thank you for posting that. Cromwell was at one time a clergyman, and it shows. Needs reading out to the present appalling shower of unconscionable cnuts, mugwumps and witless f*ckpigs masquarading as our representatives.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4696 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 pm

There is no direct contemporaneous record of Cromwell's speech. Carlyle's is the record quoted, pieced together from 3 sources, but Richard Harris's speech follows what we know of Cromwell's mood - angry, offensive, and sharp. He tried putting together several Parliaments and bodies during the Commonwealth, plus things like the Putney Debates, in the genuine hope of arriving at a form of government that genuinely represented the people. He failed, and in examining his failure we might reflect on whether it is possible even today. My personal opinion is that there needs to be very large limits on government, including insisting on a balanced budget, and at least 75% less laws and regulations than at present. I am currently somewhere that meets those criteria in practice, and it works very well. Remove most of the power and opportunities for corruption, and government will return to genuinely being seen as a public service, rather than at present an opportunity to wield power and make vast amounts of dosh whilst avoiding the laws one makes for others.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4697 Post by Ibbie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 am

"That's another fine mess you've got us into,Stanley Boris!"

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4698 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:29 am

But then the HoC is full of wise experienced incorruptible sensitive informed culturally-aware and diversity-trained representatives who will carry out the wishes of their electorate as specified in their particular party’s manifesto.

Wait a minute, I think I’ve got that wrong, start again.

Fell across this gem whilst getting my Jeff Taylor common sense fix this morning. Alas I fear none of the arrogant elites in the UK Remoaner brigade will have felt this tremor but they’ll be the first to express shock horror and surprise when the anger spills over in the manner of the ClimateChange disrupters as the Demonised Deplorables express their so far impotent anger.

Yours sincerely,

A Demonised Deplorable.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4699 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Speaker of the UK Parliament guilty of treason and degrading his authority by conniving with a foreign power to thwart the will of the UK electorate?

One couldn’t script this farce for a TV series.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4700 Post by Boac » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Is it time to ditch N I? Will Boris 'need' the DUP if he calls another election? Is it time to roll north and south into one, either in the EU or out of it? Let's face it, the 'Irish problem' has been a nightmare for years.

There's a debating point.