BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5441 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:15 am

It would appear that the Fffrench fisherman have decided to blockade Dover and Calais in the event that they lose access to UK fishing grounds. Could always sink the buggahs and claim that their boats are being used to create artificial reefs to help marine life to flourish.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5442 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:24 am

Spanish Foreign Minister Arancha González Laya made a plea to both sides after Brexit talks reached a stalemate this week. She explained Spain "needs a deal” with the UK and that both nations are dependent on each other. Spain is one of the EU nations with the closest relations with Britain, with more than 365,000 British expats currently registered living in Spain and extensive trade and economic ties.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5443 Post by probes » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:25 am

What about the bank issues, btw? There was an article about something being closed for expats? That must be nasty.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5444 Post by ian16th » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:58 am

probes wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:25 am
What about the bank issues, btw? There was an article about something being closed for expats? That must be nasty.
They simply move their accounts to the Isle of Man or Channel Isles.

I left my account with a Leeds Branch of Barclays and they sent my statements 2nd class mail. this meant Surface Mail in those days, and they took 3 months to SA.

I asked that I be put in touch with a branch that was used to dealing with ex-pats and I moved my accounts to Jersey.
Cynicism improves with age

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5445 Post by Ibbie » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 am

Apparently, according to Lord Haw-Haw's broadcaster, The BBC, It is still Macron who is the chief protagonist and stopping a deal.

Now if he were to "vanish"/be removed from office, you are led to believe the deal would be done. Surely that can be arranged given the other players involved?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5446 Post by ian16th » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 am

Ibbie wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 am
Apparently, according to Lord Haw-Haw's broadcaster, The BBC, It is still Macron who is the chief protagonist and stopping a deal.

Now if he were to "vanish"/be removed from office, you are led to believe the deal would be done. Surely that can be arranged given the other players involved?
Has it been arranged?
Cynicism improves with age

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5447 Post by probes » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:06 pm

obviously :-?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5448 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:54 pm

How very convenient - "It wasn't me who agreed to the deal/no deal. I was on my death bed with the dreaded lurgy" as he arose LazarusTrump-like minutes after any announcement

I've just read this to Mrs 4ma and she said "Wouldn't surprise me, he is French after all".

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5449 Post by barkingmad » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:06 am

Why are the Frog and Cloggie fisherfolks not directing their anger at the EUSSR for further trimming their sails when it comes to catch quotas?

No apologies for introducing our well-informed friend again, he’s been doing his homework as usual;

Looks like we may not need those machine-gun equipped naval vessels after all? =))

Bob
Capt
Capt

#5450 Post by Bob » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:58 pm

I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5451 Post by llondel » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:29 pm

While I don't doubt that there's something rotten here, I would sort of expect a well-diversified rich-list family to have some interest in various bits of the industry. If you've got that much money you don't just buy one outright unless you know you can gain a monopoly, you spread the risk by buying shares in multiple operations, so having an interest in a quarter of the UK's quota isn't necessarily bad. It would be interesting to know exactly how much - if they only have a 10% stake in the boats with the quota then their effective interest is down to 2.5%.

One can make the numbers imply anything if you word it carefully.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5452 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:31 am

Bob
Capt
Capt

#5453 Post by Bob » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:29 pm
While I don't doubt that there's something rotten here, I would sort of expect a well-diversified rich-list family to have some interest in various bits of the industry. If you've got that much money you don't just buy one outright unless you know you can gain a monopoly, you spread the risk by buying shares in multiple operations, so having an interest in a quarter of the UK's quota isn't necessarily bad. It would be interesting to know exactly how much - if they only have a 10% stake in the boats with the quota then their effective interest is down to 2.5%.

I think you're bypassing the point here, of course Rich families have their fingers in all sorts of things, the point is its connection to the big fuss the tories are making over retaining rights to something that is drop in the ocean of GDP...the connection might become a bit clearer given the knowledge of just whos mates get to pocket that drop
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5454 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Forbidden from subsidising a state-owned "private" enterprise, the German government in 2021 is raising the permitted debt level for Deutsch Bahn to - wait for it - €35,000,000,000. A mere thirty five billion euros from the taxpayer for Europe's largest train company.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5455 Post by llondel » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:56 pm

Bob wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 pm
llondel wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:29 pm

I think you're bypassing the point here, of course Rich families have their fingers in all sorts of things, the point is its connection to the big fuss the tories are making over retaining rights to something that is drop in the ocean of GDP...the connection might become a bit clearer given the knowledge of just whos mates get to pocket that drop
The fishing issue has ballooned out of all proportion to its contribution to GDP. Regardless of who gets the money, there's public perception that Brexit would get back "our" fishing rights and if there's any hint of a sell-out then that's bad PR for a government already suffering an excess of same. I know it won't happen, but regaining control is a necessary first step to having the power to make changes. The French clearly feel the same way, their fishing industry is a tiny proportion of their GDP and yet Macron is apparently prepared to veto the whole thing if he doesn't get his way.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5456 Post by probes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:24 am

llondel wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:56 pm
... regaining control is a necessary first step to having the power to make changes.
well said. Question is, has it ever happened in history that control is regained by negotiating? At a point you have to take it?

but the fish-issue has become somewhat more understandable for me:
Sir Edward Heath is the Conservative Prime Minister who sold out Britain’s fishermen in 1973 to take us into what became the European Union.
Boris Johnson does not want to be remembered as the one who sold them out to take us out.
That is one of the main reasons for what appears to be the final stumbling block in the Brexit trade talks: fish.
SIMON WALTERS: Holy mackerel... is fishing a reason to scupper a Brexit trade deal?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5457 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:49 am

Probes, without searching myself, was it Ted who did that? After losing the Cod war we were then tasked to defend our waters from the Spanish. I know Dutch beam trawlers were in the North Sea and Norwegian long liners up north. We would log these but it was the Spanish who were the main target either in the SWAPS or off Scotland and to the west of Rockall.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5458 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:32 am

Ted Heath certainly started the ball rolling when he signed the UK up to the EEC. I believe the Common Fisheries Policy came along sometime after that when the EEC started growing like Pinocchio's nose.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5459 Post by Boac » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Is this 'goodbye to the rock'?

compo
Capt
Capt

#5460 Post by compo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:48 pm

And now, in the final days of the saga, it seems appropriate to hear what the funny, as in amusing, ladies
have to say on the matter