BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4921 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:55 pm

My hopevis that BJ will either resign once he has delivered Brexit, say by the end of next year or do as he did as mayor of London and get real experts to run the show rather than political pole climbers.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4922 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Ever known a pole-climber to resign on principle?

Unlikely given they don't have any.

I note BJ is not going to appear on BBC or ITV for interviews. Looks like the MSM is just sideshow entertainment now - they only have themselves to blame, although of course they are going to blame everyone else.
I've been reading assorted on-the-doorstep articles in the (even more) left wing press*. The messages between the lines are Brexit, and "you don't represent me any more", especially with the more left wing candidates. The same is true for the Lib Dems.
Very hard to work out what might happen. I think if it does snow then we could see a truly pathetic turnout, and maybe so anyway.

e.g.
http://newingtoncomms.co.uk/general-ele ... t-doorstep
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -speak-for
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... son-corbyn

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4923 Post by barkingmad » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Dunno whether this belongs here or in the G E thread?
Anyway, Nigel Farage managed to put up a far better performance this evening versus the awe-inspiring surgical forensic Andrew “Brillo Pad” Neill than any of the other shower of excrement who’ve crashed and burned so far in this series.
BBC2 @ 1930 GMT today 05 Dec.
And as Jeff Taylor says, ‘and what do you think?’.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4924 Post by om15 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Here is Nigel being interviewed by Iain Dale

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4925 Post by 1DC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:21 pm

If only Boris could orate as well as Nigel..

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4926 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 am

It's good to know your limitations.
If I was Boris, I'd keep away from these combative radio/ TV interviews at all costs.
The way the BBC runs things these days, the very last thing that's going to happen, is fairness.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4927 Post by barkingmad » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 am

OH F F S ! ! ! Whatever will THEY think of next?

I dread it when Starmer, Grieve, Soubry and the rest of the Remoaners get hold of this shock horror report! !

Project Fear is not yet dead. And if the UK is so important to the EUSSR then why treat us and our ineffective leaders in the way they have since Cameron went a-begging?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4928 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 am

Brexit will destabilize the EU. I think it will be gone within 10 years, and functionally so within 5 years. It can't survive in its present form without the UK's contribution. The critical point will be when the smaller countries switch from being net receivers to net payers, as Ireland did in 2014, and especially those countries which export a lot to the UK, such as Ireland and Belgium. The UK currently provides 6.5% of the net contributions, or to put it another way 6 members are likely to have to switch from being net receivers to net contributors, mostly the larger ones in the Balkans and the Baltic states. The average person in the average western state is still in the recession that started in 2008 (based on net disposable income vs real inflation*), and no organisation can stand to lose 6% of its income at a time like this, especially with trade wars hotting up, and with the increasing bribery which political parties are having to pay in public spending to get (re)elected.

* e.g. UK https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2013/02/20/ ... inflation/
And if the UK is so important to the EUSSR then why treat us and our ineffective leaders in the way they have since Cameron went a-begging?
Bullies always do this. They value perceived status over reality every time.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4929 Post by barkingmad » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:17 pm

If the UK is half-in half-out, like some ghastly form of coitus interruptus, will we genuinely be withholding our contributions?

I get the impression the Johnson Treaty will keep us half conjoined like a couple of snarling dogs for longer than we’d hoped and possibly in perpetuity, keeping the EUSSR afloat whilst they suck us dry of funds and emasculate what’s left of our defence forces.

[-X

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4930 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 pm

A continuous Brexit Interruptus ? We have been in the initial phases of that for some time. Fetch the bucket of cold water ! Like others here In favour of Brexit but also like others here, I want it to be over. Its like watching Debbie does Dallas* with a stuck pause button.

* Not that I've ever seen it myself, of course, although I've heard the car washing scene aftermath is tastefully done.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4931 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:36 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 am
It's good to know your limitations.
If I was Boris, I'd keep away from these combative radio/ TV interviews at all costs.
The way the BBC runs things these days, the very last thing that's going to happen, is fairness.
Lord Grade, former DG of the BBC was very critical of the BBC and Ch 4 for their lack of impartiality.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4932 Post by BenThere » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:56 pm

He could Tweet his message as our president does, which so far has outflanked the hostile press.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4933 Post by llondel » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:07 pm

I half expect Boris is trying to not get re-elected so he can wash his hands of the whole thing and go back to more lucrative work.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4934 Post by Woody » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:14 pm

llondel wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:07 pm
I half expect Boris is trying to not get re-elected so he can wash his hands of the whole thing and go back to more lucrative work.
That’s two of us =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4935 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:24 pm

The only time a politician abandons an position and does not want to be re-elected is when a catastrophe is imminent and can be attributed exclusively to him.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4936 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:24 pm
The only time a politician abandons an position and does not want to be re-elected is when a catastrophe is imminent and by resigning can avoid it being attributed exclusively to him.
Not me Guv, I wasn't there, but if I was it wasn't me.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4937 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am

Boris & Brexit. Definitely an oxymoron. Remember the London Garden Bridge? A total of £53,000,000 spent of which £43,000,000 was taxpayers’ money, blown on a prestige project and not even a zipwire in place to show for the efforts!!

The UK public do have short memories and we’ll all pay for that dementia emotionally and financially very soon.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4938 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:46 am

As we roll down the road with brake failure into an ever “closer” EUSSR it is comforting to realise there are still articulate thoughtful and informed folk out there who can express the problem as succinctly as D M!

Subtitled “European citizens too often vote wrongly”, hence the fury by elites against the Brits’ revolt in 2016, soon to be snuffed out.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4939 Post by Woody » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Not looking good for those proposing a WTO Brexit :ymdevil:
The World Trade Organization is facing a crisis in its system for resolving disputes between its members.
It has an appeal "court" that is the final arbiter on such disputes and which is about to become unable to function.
WTO rules say three judges have to hear each case. On 10 December the number goes below that level. Only one will be left. The terms of the other two come to an end, and no replacements have been chosen.
In fact there isn't even a process under way to find any. The reason is that the US has refused to allow the recruitment of new judges.
Other WTO member countries have repeatedly proposed to start a selection procedure. At the end of November more than 100 members called for that but the US alone said no. It's the only country that has objected at any stage during this stand-off.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4940 Post by barkingmad » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:04 pm

As the great Brexit Referendum Pt2 launches tomorrow 12th December we should not forget the past;

because as a result we’ll be condemned to repeat it!