BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5421 Post by ian16th » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:03 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:19 am
A brilliant article, read this morning but which I can no longer find, on the multi billion euro road being built, subsidised by the EU, and described as a 'prestige project' in a French province. A miracle of engineering since it's built in the sea - alongside the coast - on the island of Réunion. It was apparently 'not possible' to widen the existing parallel road.
The residents of Reunion are quite proud that they have some of the most expensive roads in the EU!
Cynicism improves with age

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: GROUNDHOG DAY-WALK AWAY?

#5422 Post by barkingmad » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:56 pm

An overwhelming sensation of deja vu sweeps over me as I sit glued to the meeja waiting for the High BMI female to squawk;

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to get different results”.

4.5 years after the majority of the peasants voted to escape from the leg-irons and still we’re chained to the wall, despite our theatrical PM bragging ‘Get Brexit Done!’.

Dom Cummings May have left the building but isn’t he still on the end of Zoom or WhatsApp or whatever functions as a lead and choke chain these days?

What chance our waffling PM holds his nerve in the face of snarling EUSSR “partners”? :-?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5423 Post by probes » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:48 am

From the 'outside view', it's hard to see the sense in the last activities, especially the anger of Johnson's calls allegedly not being answered by some leaders. One would think there has been plenty of time to talk anyway?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5424 Post by Woody » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:05 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5425 Post by OFSO » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:07 am

I read that 700,000 EU jobs depend on an agreed Brexit. Can this be true ?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5426 Post by probes » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 am

How? By Brits not buying the produce?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5427 Post by ian16th » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:35 am

probes wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 am
How? By Brits not buying the produce?
The general disruption to trade.

Think of the motor industry as an example, engines made in the UK exported to an assembly plant in the EU built up car exported to UK for sale.

Do the above for each component manufactured inside/outside of the EU and imported/exported at differing stages of assembly.

That's just cars!
Cynicism improves with age

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5428 Post by probes » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:38 am

But the disruption of trade is working both ways?

British foreign minister Dominic Raab said the bar was quite high for continuing discussions but that negotiations could “drag on”. “Never say never,” he told the BBC, saying the British side needed the EU to shift position on two issues.

“We want to be treated like any other independent self-respecting democracy. If the EU can accept that at a political level, then there’s every reason to be confident but there is still, I think, a long way to go,” he told Sky News.

On the same programme, Spanish foreign minister Arancha Gonzalez Laya retorted: “A trade deal is not made to assert one’s independence but to manage our interdependence.”

Reuters, Leaders expected to push Brexit trade talks to 11th hour

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5429 Post by om15 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:23 pm

The leftie woke snivelers are in full cry, Milliband blubbing on the telly, Heseltine wheezing defiance from his old peoples home, but all to no avail.

Mr Johnson advises us to prepare for a no deal from 1st January 2021, well, at least there is someone in the political world prepared to do the job. Gunboats on alert, (except in Scotland where Sturgeon has tea and sandwiches ready for the French fisherpersons), and we are off.

Low taxes, dump the red tape, Singapore style off shore tax rules, numerous free ports, 2021 is going to be great, I love it when the lefties cry. I never watch the BBC but I might watch the news on news years day, just to see them bright red with rage.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5430 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:41 pm

A firm in Grantham is the foremost European producer of remanufactured car engines. I don't think they do Mercedes but they do engines for the other German car makers.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5431 Post by probes » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:31 pm

om15 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:23 pm
Mr Johnson advises us to prepare for a no deal from 1st January 2021, ...
that is, unless they postpone it for the umpteenth time.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: GROUNDHOG DAY-WALK AWAY?

#5432 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:53 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:56 pm
An overwhelming sensation of deja vu sweeps over me as I sit glued to the meeja waiting for the High BMI female to squawk;

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to get different results”.

4.5 years after the majority of the peasants voted to escape from the leg-irons and still we’re chained to the wall, despite our theatrical PM bragging ‘Get Brexit Done!’.

Dom Cummings May have left the building but isn’t he still on the end of Zoom or WhatsApp or whatever functions as a lead and choke chain these days?

What chance our waffling PM holds his nerve in the face of snarling EUSSR “partners”? :-?
Boris is not telling anybody anything, save for you to wipe the jelly over own **** arse as you are being ****, you idiot. (Jeez who rostered me to fly with this **** moron?)... L-)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5433 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:55 pm

barkingmad you are reaching om15 prick rating...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5434 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:19 pm

Apart from exponential nature of the nascent prospector thing...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5435 Post by barkingmad » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:33 am

BM calling om15,
Do you think we will be held jointly and severally responsible for poor demented TGG’s ultimate demise from an uncontrollable outburst of incandescent rage?

It might be sensible to take out liability insurance just in case he pops a fuse and we get blamed for inflammatory postings? =))

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5436 Post by om15 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:27 pm

It is noticeable that the noisy minority in the media and on various internet forums are becoming increasingly angry at being in the minority. The intransigence of the authoritarian and dictatorial EU are driving the talks to a no deal conclusion, for which of course we will receive the blame.
Despite my earlier misgivings it seems that Mr Johnson is intent on fulfilling the election pledge, backed up by his cabinet and Party, we are on line for a complete severance with the EU, it has been a long time coming but will be delicious for all that.

I just love that expression "crashing out of the EU" first thing in the morning.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5437 Post by probes » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 am

om15 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:27 pm
I just love that expression "crashing out of the EU" first thing in the morning.
As a non-native, I had trouble with the meaning of the expression. Can't be 'break free suddenly', as the PM is still 'there', isn't he? Trying to get a better deal?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5438 Post by barkingmad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:11 am

Stop talking. Start walking.

But BoJo won’t do that because he’s only just clever enough to realise that if the UK walked, we’d be blamed for everything which goes wrong in EUrope in future, including pestilence, locusts, Frogs and meteor strikes in the next few decades.

So he is probably being urged by Dom Cum via ‘burner’ mobile phones, so that evidence of messages will be untraceable, to hang in there until reaching the famous ‘wire’, and then some, so that UVDL and that ghastly Barmyer will get the blame for it all turning pear-shaped.

I have acquired my bottle of English fizz with which to celebrate the Fat Lady singing at the end of this month, deal or no deal. :YMAPPLAUSE:

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5439 Post by probes » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Dunno. I'm somewhat disappointed in the country of my favorite language - the UK was supposed to be the star to leave proudly (and there definitely is plenty in the EU to make one wonder, to put it diplomatically), and now, after 4 years of 'negotiating', it has descended to the PM threatening to gun down the French fishermen. Seriously, would he? Is it really worth it? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just pay the Br fishermen for what the French catch (of their pie, as the PM says)? Do they even want to be the 'last snag'? Well, along with the 2 other issues.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5440 Post by OFSO » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:15 pm

One might think that having owned property in Spain since 1993 and spending time there, French fishermen might not be of concern to me. Well, not so. Every now and then the Gallic hunters of fish head south and intrude on Catalan waters, and lo! a Spanish warship appears to chivvy the French back to the waters of their own revier North of the Cap de Creus. Give Johnny Frog an inch and he'll take several metres...they are not loved here.