BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#3461 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:43 pm

That would be 3 people per square kilometer, I expect. That's the average for Canada, for comparison.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3462 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 pm

We are seeing a similar error being reported locally after an announcement of the forthcoming closure of a long-established department store.
The current owners have announced that they will maintain a presence with the purchase of 27 square feet of space within a development.
Hardly room to swing a cat, never mind the current Post Office and 80,000 square feet of other concessions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3463 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm

If you assume every journalist didn't get past grade 6 in Maths or Science or Grammar, then the MSM makes sense. History and Geography are about grade 8 standard. They all have a PhD in Biased Boll*cks.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3464 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:42 pm

It shocks me when I see basic spelling errors and grammatical mistakes in local newspapers (and online sites).
Even editorials are peppered with errors that are glaring to me.
Nobody seems to proof-read their media these days - you would expect journalists to have good standards of English, whereas they appear to be no better than the Twitterati.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3465 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:07 pm

I remember a talk by a sub-editor back in the 1970s - most journalists were little better then, as the disposal of sub-ed's as a breed has now revealed, not the mention the total howlers of factual errors that they used to pick up before publication.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3466 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Perhaps the last word on K&C's maligning of landlords. I must have Viewed 20 flats and houses over the past months - 6 in the past 24hrs - and the first smell of the air inside the front door tells you whether it's owner-occupied or a tenant property. Today's estate agent agreed (after apologising for a nasty place).

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3467 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:12 pm

The Palace of Westminster roof leaks and needs some work.

We're still in the EU.

Couldn't we get some ffrench contractors to 'do' that roof?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3468 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:40 pm

OFSO, got very shirty with one EA. We were looking for a modern 4-bed detactched, with garage, utility room, study and double garage desirable. They sent us modernised 3 bed pre-war semi with no garage. Pillocks.

Agree about presenting for sale. Photographs with washing up liquid prominent, bed covers thrown over know not what etc. Why the photographer even took the photos.

We had two foto sets. One by the EA partner in the village who came back until the light was right etc. The other by a professional photographer, we paid £200 and the other EA £200 (yeah right). Rubbish.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#3469 Post by Krystal n Chips » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:46 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:34 pm
Perhaps the last word on K&C's maligning of landlords. I must have Viewed 20 flats and houses over the past months - 6 in the past 24hrs - and the first smell of the air inside the front door tells you whether it's owner-occupied or a tenant property. Today's estate agent agreed (after apologising for a nasty place).
Ah, what a fascinating criterion for establishing the suitability of a property once the portals are crossed....the aroma !.

Presumably everybody who owns a home keeps the place immaculate and never has any form of odours, culinary, human....and the dog, present whilst tenants, being societal vermin because they don't live in the "must have des. res. " postcode area will, by default, lack the ability to maintain a home to the required pristine standard......reminds me of the interview with a "Sky " reporter a couple of days ago in fact.

Any rational reason you can offer of for your quaint selective discrimination.....?

Meanwhile, back to Nige. The fulsome praise for Nige has flowed, well more like vomited, forth on here and elsewhere, with his latest reincarnation so presumably his dictatorial stance will also result in more collective banging of rattles......many of you will doubtless approve of this policy given your backgrounds and inability to understand consensus plus alternative views.....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... n-suggests

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3470 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:14 am

House selling aroma ? Heard it once suggested that one has the coffee pot constantly at the "almost ready" state, the waft of freshly brewed coffee as the front door is opened having the desired effect.

Q. What have you got if you have a Lawyer / Used Car Salesman/Estate Agent (pick one ) at the bottom of the ocean ?
A. A good start.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3471 Post by FD2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:25 am

Does it ever stop raining in Manchester? Must be the most miserable place in the Country, judging by your negative attitudes to everything except the far left Labour Party and the EU bully boys, Krystal n (Two) Chips.

Your stalking of Capetonian is very peculiar. Were you publicly humiliated by a South African at some time? Is it somehow really important to you where he was born?

My Farnworth, Walkden and Clifton relations were a lively, cheerful lot. Not a 'barrack room lawyer' amongst them, despite working on the mill floors for not much money. Didn't stop them having the occasional moan about the bosses, occasional, not continual that is.

I respect the fact that everyone is free to express their views, but you take the biscuit for being the most continuously curmudgeonly! And did you do your teething on and swallow bits of an ancient dictionary?

Expand your reading and try and see all the aspects to these Brexit matters, not just what the Guardian tells you to see, despite it having the occasional worthy article.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3472 Post by FD2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:30 am

Yes, some people do stink of body odour because they don't wash often enough - it's not a class thing - they are just strangers to soap and water.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3473 Post by OFSO » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:40 am

It may not have occurred to you, K&C old bean, that tenants have no motive for making a property attractive to a purchaser who will presumably evict them, whereas owners have. Simple, isn't it ?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3474 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:26 am

Ref: OP #1 Those days will never return. Which greatly saddens me.
Unfortunately I think many Brexiteers think that they will, as far as the UK is concerned, anyway, but I think that is Pie in the Sky. Do the Brexiteers really think that things will return to Before The Common Market at the stroke of a pen, and are they prepared to put up with the hard graft that will follow after they leave, and they can't Send a Gunboat, The Natives are Revolting ? There are obviously disadvantages in Remaining, too, so I'm somewhat glad that I don't have a vote, I can't do anything about it, either way, so am relieved of the agony of choice !

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3475 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:32 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:14 am
House selling aroma ? Heard it once suggested that one has the coffee pot constantly at the "almost ready" state, the waft of freshly brewed coffee as the front door is opened having the desired effect.
I made lots of bread.

Mind you the last viewers that bought our house were perfect.

They lived in the USA. Her mother came to view while we had departed on holiday. She recommended against it. They flew over, viewed Monday and Wednesday, wanted to exchange Friday. Then despite the most obstructive and stupid lawyer imaginable, actually managed to buy without survey.

Example:

Did you have planning permission for the garage? No, it was built with the house 40 years ago.

The conservatory extends too far from the house. No, it extends from the garage which is set back.

The conservatory is too close the the boundary. No, it is exactly 2995 mm (limit 3 m) from the fence. The fence is 75 mm inside our boundary posts (until the peasant next door cut the concrete posts down.

Do you have insurance for the drain passing under the conservatory. No, it is our drain and we don't need insurance.

Is there a PAT for the garage door opener? WTF? What about the power shower, immersion heater or any other electrical item? You don't need a PAT in a domestic situation.

There were LOTS of other things that they should have asked but it never occurred to them.

Oh, the best bit, there was a small ditch at the bottom of the garden that drained into The Sewer. Was this an open sewer. No, it is The Sewer, a tributary that fed into The Witham, that fed into The Wash😀

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3476 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:45 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:26 am
I can't do anything about it, either way, so am relieved of the agony of choice !
Sadly I think that applies to all of us, remainers above leavers alike as neither side expected or wanted the complete horlicks made by our politicians.

Listened to the first episode of the 45 year love story, marriage and divorce in the BBC. It removed all the smoke and mirrors of the last 3 years and explained in simple terms how we got where we are:

A remain PM appointed a leave MP as the Brexit minister.
She installed him in 9 Downing Street.
He didn't get on with his PPS Civil Servant and had him replaced.
She installed the displaced PPS CS in 10 Downing Street.
The minister in 9 Downing Street was portrayed as a bit of a buffoon and prone to winging it, and subsequently resigned, as did his successor.
The ship of State, the Theresa Celeste continued on its steady course with no one at the helm.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3477 Post by OFSO » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:38 am

Back to Viewings, hopefully for the last time. Our estate agent insists on viewers removing their shoes when entering a property for sale. After the visit to the squalidiser of the three houses yesterday, occupied by an indolent teenage boy and girl and two cats, Mrs OFSO found chewing gum on her socks....lucky it was no worse I s'pose.

Back to Brexit. All gone quiet. Do we really need MPs ?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3478 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 pm

Article in the Torygraph by Andrew Mitchell MP, defending May.
The article's behind a paywall, but that doesn't matter because it's drivel.
The comments however, are accessible and priceless!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... troubling/

With Bliar, it was "they don't get it" as the most common criticism.
I think this lot of MPs deserve "Aren't ever capable of getting it"

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3479 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 pm

AFAICT, my local MP 'does his job', but these machinations regarding Brexit are way beyond his pay scale.

He obeys the party whip and keeps his head down.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3480 Post by om15 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:25 pm

He obeys the party whip and keeps his head down.

Ditto with mine.

K&C, your constant links to the Gaurdian reinforces our low opinion of the standards and content, however it appears that the child columnists and the whey faced Trot feminists that inhabit it's dismal portals are indeed running scared of Nigel, not used to facts being presented in a clear and unambiguous manner they are becoming unsettled, but please do continue with the links.