BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5101 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:58 am

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5102 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:23 am

Someone's maths not quite up there? 27+4 = 33. 11*3 = 33 and 11*3 = 33-2

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5103 Post by barkingmad » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 am

Some very interesting maths & graphs in Jeff’s latest broadcast. Figures taken from Office of National Statistics.

I can only conclude that the EUSSR has been on the magic mushrooms if this is what they are demanding from the UK?

My hope is that when Johnson has finished shuffling his team today he takes one look at Brussels’ demands and invites them to feck off into the darkness and to stop wasting the time of both sides in what now must be regarded as a dispute and NOT a negotiation.

Also amazing is the target of 4 months hence for them to get their grubby hands permanently on the UK fisheries. Why oh why did we not just walk away in 2016 and save a lot of CO2 with officials travelling to and fro for what seems to be little effect?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5104 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:46 am

Jeepers!

I hope Boris issues them with the appropriate instructions related to sex and travel, in that order.

The EU is asking for the sort of concessions you'd expect a joining country would be offered- but we're leaving!

This is war without the shooting....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5105 Post by barkingmad » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:24 pm

Even if it was to be a shooting war, what remains of the UK armed services to send gunboats up the Seine and the Rhine?

I sincerely hope that when the Brussels shopping list is presented to Johnson & Co, that he will call a press conference, tear up the menu in front of the TV cameras and then set fire to it just for good measure.

Doubtless the UK fishermen are very concerned at their cause being hung out for trading with the EUSSR for concessions. What didn’t help their case in the 70’s was the flogging off of the majority of the fishing rights/quotas to non-UK companies as the brave sailors stood by and watched their boats being brokenup, by order, like some ghastly casualty of a war armistice......

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5106 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 am

The currency markets are having an interesting time.
Currency.jpg
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5107 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:58 pm

Germany only just escaped recession again. All their income comes from exports. If no deal on Brexit, they are f*cked. Or if Corona virus sizes hold on Chinese manufacturing of parts for German car industry.....or if Trump throws a fit....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5108 Post by barkingmad » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:15 pm

French Foreign Minister Yve le Drain sez the EU will rip Britain apart in the upcoming waste-of-time talks on trade, fisheries and the price of (insert your favourite vegetable in the blank space) or their onions.
IIRC from way back the functionality of a ripped French Letter is less than zilch, so who’s he threatening?
And I thought the remains of the EUSSR consisted of a total of 27 countries but I might have been dreaming.
Is all this noise just smoke & mirrors by Les Frogs to distract from the pension protests currently in progress and the peasants out on the streets wearing yellow vests?
I do wish Johnson would tell them to feck off, announce we leave 31st June and take control of our waters and start trade talks with the outside world. Might even save a few Euros in membership fees as well?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5109 Post by AtomKraft » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Hear hear.
Let's make it 17,000,001 fcuk offs.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5110 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:26 pm

BM, I take it that last para was deliberate.😁

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5111 Post by llondel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:07 am

This Frost chap in charge of the UK's negotiating team seems to have the right idea, gives me more hope that the UK will hold out for something reasonable and be prepared to walk if necessary, and not just buckle under EU demands.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5112 Post by ian16th » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:31 am

I think a good starting point would be to send an e-mail cancelling the negotiations, and say we are leaving under WTO rules!

Then wait for an offer.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#5113 Post by Capetonian » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:21 pm

Can't see much point inthe EU with stuff like this going on. Unbelievable.

I pay a small monthly insurance premium to a French insurer by direct debit. I asked them to switch the DD to come from my Irish EUR account and sent the IBAN number etc. This the reply I got :

You asked also for the validation of your new bank identification statement but I am sorry the RIB is incompatible with the system. It has to be a French or european one.

I wonder if they think Ireland is not Europe? To avoid doubt, we are talking about a EUR account in the Republic of Ireland, part of the SEPA zone (along with about 35 other territories including GB, CH and a couple of other non-EUR countries.
It gets worse ........

When I rang them, the woman said that it is 'because of Brexit' that they can't take payment from 'English' accounts. I explained that Ireland is not England.
I asked her to follow up and got this :

I just called the company and they confirmed that they do not take other that the French RIB

I have written back and explained :

The SEPA payments system was set up to enable payments across 36 countries and territories, https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/about-sepa including Ireland and France, and to make transfers between any of those countries as easy as internal transfers. Every other organisation that I deal with, in France, Spain, UK, and Switzerland, is able to work with debits from, and credits to, my Irish account which is designated in Euros

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5114 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:07 pm

Il voudrait s'il il coudrait mais il cannait pas.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5115 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Some years ago I tried to transfer money quickly from the Deutsche Bank in Germany to the Deutsche Bank in Spain. The latter said they had no connection with the former. Aghast I phoned the German branch where I had money, they told me I had to write (!) to them and set up some special system, designating to where they money should go, but they could not guarantee funds reaching Spain. Needless to say, no longer have accounts with the Deutsche Bank.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#5116 Post by larsssnowpharter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:39 pm

On the subject of transfer of money:

About 7 years ago we sold a house in the Philippines. Went to my local HSBC where I had an account and was told that I could only transfer the amount I had originally paid to my UK HSBC account. I understood this to be the local law.

Took a fair amount of the balance and exchanged it at the Chinese market for US dollars which were paid into my account in the US. More was changed into Sterling and paid into another UK account. Problem when I said that it was from sale of crystal meth lab. Explanations accepted.

There was also some gold bought and moved around in the form of jewelry.

The point of this is that all these barriers are put up to stop the big Crims laundering their I'll gotten gains. The last criminal act I committed was nicking a copy of Health and Efficiency from a newsagent when I was 15.

Now, if I can get around all these laws on bank transfers, don't you think that the real pros have figured it out?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5117 Post by llondel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Your large cash transactions will have been recorded somewhere. Had it been part of a larger pattern you might have had a few more questions asked, but a one-off sale like that is probably considered not worth much of their time.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5118 Post by FD2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Larss - I'm sure you're right. Millions of laundered dosh are moved around the world every hour - it's just suckers like us who have to jump through hoops to move a few quid.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5119 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:19 pm

I was denied the facility of my bank to open an account to receive my private pension payments as I had just moved house so couldn't provide utility bills with my new address and I didn't have a passport - so I couldn't prove my identity.
I had a dormant account with a building society that I had used for expenses when I was working - 20 years earlier and they accepted the payments without question.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5120 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:20 pm

I made two small charitable payments to India. They were sufficiently small that charges would probably have eaten up much of it.

Solution - sent a cheque to a man in Hounslow - money available in Channai next day.