BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#2961 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 am

Alison.
There was no mention of any deal on the ballot.

Sure, in the two years since the vote, everybody expected they would sort out some of the terms and conditions for life after the EU, but leave was NEVER contingent on them getting their ducks in a row.

Times up, you've failed to agree anything- and it's no surprise to me. I always viewed reaching agreement on everything before leaving as damn-near impossible.

She tried, they failed.

Now.

LEAVE.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2962 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:58 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 am
Sure, in the two years since the vote, everybody expected they would sort out some of the terms and conditions for life after the EU, but leave was NEVER contingent on them getting their ducks in a row.
Like so many Ak you fail to allow for the a'seholes in Brussels who have done their damdest to make it not happen. You say Leave was never contingent on getting all the ducks in order. Did the EU crew think it was so? I think not.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2963 Post by Ibbie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:05 am

One thing still puzzles me.

If, whatever deal for leaving TM negotiated with the EU, had to pass through both Houses of Parliament and she was fully aware of this important fact, did she sign that damn agreement on behalf of the UK? Clearly without the withdrawal agreement passing through the two Houses, she should not have committed the UK to it's terms by signing it, nor was she authorised to. Simply, she did not have the authority to sign this agreement when she did. Surely the EU must have been aware of this important fact when the signing was arranged. Their law people are not thick. It is ultra viries.

Therefore, is this not a case of fraud, perpetrated by both TM and whoever signed it for the EU?

Is it not therefore a fraudulent agreement and void?

Should the authorities of law now be involved?

The only way forward is to withdraw the present Article 50 and start again, legally.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2964 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:31 am

Ibbie, the Houses of Parliament is a COMMITTEE, with each member having their own agenda. They should never have had the option to renegotiate individual bits, because it was a bunch of compromises on both sides. Once a "deal" has been agreed by both negotiating teams then that is it. And so it should be. It was doomed to failure once the Houses of Parliament thought they could tweak it here and tweak it there with no knowledge of the give and take involved.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2965 Post by Krystal n Chips » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:39 am

" The only way forward is to withdraw the present Article 50 and start again, legally"

Ah, slight problem with this proposal. Art 50 is already legal and was included in the same way other legalities are included in contracts....as form of "in case this should happen ".

Unfortunately, when this was drafted, the intent was a legal inclusion to cover the possibility . What no sane person could have envisaged was the petulance of the British, and the orchestrated campaign over a few decades. to actually have to enact this Article.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2966 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 am

My prediction is for no extension, followed by no deal on March 29.

Please!

admin
Chief Engineer

#2967 Post by admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:39 am
What no sane person could have envisaged was the petulance of the British,
I take offence at that comment. Perhaps you may need to reconsider whether Ops-Normal is the place for you.

Admin

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2968 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:01 am

Post 2958 - one wonders that Macron has the time to worry about Brexit having ordered his army into Paris in two days time to "protect the public". Didn't Hitler use the same reasoning to protect ethnic Germans in the Sudetenland ? Apologise, thread drift....

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2969 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:03 am

She has shown zero leadership skills.

Forget the primus inter pares crap. A PM needs to lead from the front. She hasn't done that.

She can't even hold her own Cabinet together, far less her Party. For a minority government that is disastrous, both for the country and for her Party.

A PM who shows good leadership skills can lead a Parliament, even though in a minority position. This PM totally lacks the skillset of any leader. She's nothing more than a placeholder.

Sisemen

#2970 Post by Sisemen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 am

Isn't it time that this thread was merged with the "Floating Turds" thread?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2971 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 am

It would have been nice if we had a PM of the calibre of Peel. Y'know, the guy who repealed the Corn Laws.

Bollocks to the Customs Union. Let's simply abolish tariffs by reducing them to zero. That would scare the bejasus out of the EUrocrats because it would instantly render them redundant and powerless.

Trade protectionism encourages mediocrity. Plenty of examples of that.

We can still keep our food safety laws and prohibit the import of atrocities such as chlorinated chicken and hormone-laced beef. We can still refuse to condone animal cruelty in barbaric countries which inflict such horrors as forced molting and ractopamine onto chickens and pigs. Simply prohibit the import of the product of such barbarism. No tariffs involved.

We can improve the efficiency of our domestic lamb production by abolishing the tariff on imported lamb from New Zealand. We can improve and encourage the efficiency and quality of production of cars in the UK by abolishing the 10% tariff on imported cars.

There's all kinds of ways in which Britain's economic life and general quality of life would be improved by abolishing tariffs. Of course the kicker is that we'd have to be an independent sovereign nation to do that.

We voted to be such a nation. So let's do it. Let's leave the EU next week and abolish tariffs, but keep our import restrictions on bad stuff.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2972 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 am

You have be to admit that Theresa May has united the nation. Everyone - right wing, left, central - thinks she's a deluded idiot.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2973 Post by Krystal n Chips » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 am

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am
Krystal n Chips wrote:
I take offence at that comment. Perhaps you may need to reconsider whether Ops-Normal is the place for you.

Admin
The comment wasn't directed at you personally and compared to many on here, on a range of topics, was stated in polite phraseology.

That said, I make no secret of being an ardent Remain supporter, with the future of the UK population first and foremost in mind, and have long followed the machinations and fallacies of those who are determined to regress the UK from a progressive future as a result of being a member of the EU.

One of our unappealing national traits is, and even more with European countries, that we have some intrinsic right to control various nations based on events 70 years ago. To save you wondering, several relatives participated during the first and second events as well as in other parts of the globe. I DO respect all those who participated and those who were killed doing so. My disdain for the military is based on the culture and appalling " management " , not what they are there for.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2974 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Krystal.
You really write utter bollocks.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2975 Post by Woody » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 pm
Krystal.
You really write utter bollocks.
Says an expert :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#2976 Post by Capetonian » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 pm

KnC. If the UK and its populace are so unappealing to you, why don't you renounce your nationality and naff off to some Marxist hellhole where you might find what you appear to want and where your odious, repellent and twisted views might be accepted.

Of course we know the answer.

I feel.sorry for any country that might accept you, on the other hand it would be a clear indication that it's not a place I'd set foot in.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2977 Post by llondel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:30 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am
Krystal n Chips wrote:

Admin
I take a different interpretation. The British are generally laid back and reserved until someone pisses them off and then it's Caveat Pissor. Catches a lot of people out when the Brits dig in on a point of principle and such responses are typical when caught out.

Sisemen

#2978 Post by Sisemen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:45 pm

naff off to some Marxist hellhole where you might find what you appear to want and where your odious, repellent and twisted views might be accepted.

He’s already there! It’s called Manchester.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2979 Post by om15 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Corbyn is now saying that he won't rule out revoking Article 50. That should be getting the former Labour supporters in the Leave areas into a fit.
Meanwhile Mrs May is starting to indicate that she is not ruling out no deal.

I wonder who the majority of voters will support?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2980 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Look at the petition to revoke Article 50. Over a million and counting. They are protesting against Treason May's deal, not against leaving per se.