BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5181 Post by barkingmad » Sun May 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:00 pm
His summary was better than yours :))
Ooh boac, you really are such a bitch! (Said in a Kenneth Williams camp voice which I cannot imitate.)
Don’t tell me you actually watched it all the way through? Careful, or you’ll be joining my Branch Covidian Sect any time soon with views like that! [-X

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5182 Post by Boac » Sun May 03, 2020 5:48 pm

All right, I won't.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5183 Post by barkingmad » Sun May 03, 2020 7:46 pm

boac: Won’t what? Be such a bitch? Watch it all the way through? Join the Branch Covidians? Or maintain such views?
I’m confused, as usual... ~X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5184 Post by Boac » Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 pm

The clue is in the words :))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5185 Post by Boac » Mon May 04, 2020 8:15 am

From Pindex, a pre-Brexit vote view. Has much changed?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5186 Post by barkingmad » Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 am

Lest we forget and allow ourselves to be distracted by all this Covidbollocks;

She is a far more articulate and credible politician than the piffle & waffle random inseminator now in No 10 Downing Street.
I do not trust him and his team not to weaken in the assault now being launched at the UK by our EUSSR ‘enemies’ with fisheries being an obvious weak point. As far a extensions go, they’ve had 4 years come next month, since we said we’re leaving so it’s time the Fat Controller blew the whistle and the train finally left. [-X

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5187 Post by barkingmad » Fri May 15, 2020 1:11 pm

I thought it couldn’t get any worse but it just has. Why don’t we withdraw the 100-strong negotiating team, tell the EUSSR they’ve just kissed goodbye to the £39,000,000,000 they wanted as an exit fee and concentrate on getting the UK back up to near scratch post Covid?
I cannot understand why we are wasting time, resources and money on this failed enterprise, just tell them PFO because we are!

There are some very pithy comments appended underneath this little snippet which give an idea how the Brexiteers feel!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5188 Post by barkingmad » Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 am

Once again, he sums it up nicely. I find myself shouting at the screen “close the chequebook and walk away!”

We’ve all got more pressing matters with which to wrestle so why waste effort with the EUSSR nearly 4 YEARS since the leave vote. Though admittedly a lot of that time was wasted and squandered by the May/Maynot administration and their scandalous behaviour in the ‘negotiations’.

But I am soooh disappointed that as we’ll have left the club, hopefully by next year, I will not be able to participate in the European Citizens’ Initiative whereby 7 of us from UK along with 7 other bods from 6 other countries could start to initiate a lawmaking process akin to the current UK ‘petition’ system.
Just imagine what we could all achieve with or against the EU Commission with our joint efforts... :YMPARTY:

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5189 Post by barkingmad » Mon May 18, 2020 4:47 pm

ATTENTION EARTHLINGS OF THE UK!
From my planet I have observed an outbreak of a very dangerous disease which threatens your country. There is an evil Blackhead erupting in close proximity to a Green pustule which, if not treated immediately by an updated Treason Act, will threaten your very survival. There are elements in the Green pus which are previously unknown and which present a clear and present danger to your democracy. Please take immediate action to arrest and terminate this disease before it is too late;

IIRC, you were threatened by a similar treasonable disease some years ago in your political and economic recuperation but it appears the disease has returned and must be stopped by radical surgery to neutralise it’s long-term effects!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5190 Post by om15 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:40 am

More Brexit news as Nissan announce that post Brexit it is moving it's European Headquarters from Barcelona to Sunderland. I wonder why that is?

Capetonian

#5191 Post by Capetonian » Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 am

Anyone who has ever tried to do business or work in Spain will know why!

Written in 1989 but nothing has changed.
I went to the Police to advise my new address and renew my Spanish Residence Permit. They didn't have the forms, so said they would 'phone me to let me know when they had them - very nice and helpful. I asked them if I could go to the Traffic Department and change the address on my driver's licence before I got it changed on the residence permit ... - 'yes, no problem, one thing has nothing to with another ...'. So off I went to the driving licence place where the guy told me that he couldn't do it until I had changed the address on the residence permit. When I told him that I had tried to do so, but they had run out of forms, he didn't believe me, so I told him to ring the lady at the police station (I even had her name) and confirm it. Then he started explaining it again and said 'perhaps you don't understand me properly .... ' which put my back up and I told him that I did understand him, but that what he was telling me was different to what the police had told me. After an argument which ensued because I refused to back down, he called his boss, it turned out that technically I and the police were right, but by now it was 2 o'clock and time to close for the day ..... In fact in Spain there is usually no right or wrong, but the person who holds out for longest wins.

Later I went to a supermarket, and wanted to pay for my purchases with a French VISA card. Because of the high incidence of fraud in Spain, it is standard practice when you pay by credit card, that they ask for identity - fair enough! I showed her my Spanish residence permit, which has always been adequate before, even in the same supermarket. But this bird had a different idea, and couldn't understand why I had a non-Spanish credit card and a Spanish residence permit. Oh God, I thought, this is going to get difficult. So I told her that although I live in Spain my salary is paid in France which is why I use a French credit card. Then she said that only Spanish credit cards are valid in Spain. How do you argue against that type of ignorance? I thought the banks would be interested to hear her point of view on that one, and tried to explain to her that the VISA symbol on a credit card was an international symbol of recognition.

I lived in Madrid and worked for a big multinational. Most of the employees spoke little or no Spanish, so we were recommended a bank (Bankinter) whose main branch in Paseo de la Castellana had 'English speaking' employees. In reality, it turned out that out of perhaps 100 staff, they had just one employee whose English language skills would have made Manuel from Fawlty Towers look like a professor of English. Beyond 'ghello, my name ghe is Alfonso, ghood morring', he spoke no English at all. Nada de nada. It was truly pathetic. He also sat behind his desk smoking and filling the office with foul smelling tar fumes. He was a very nice man. I have to say something in his favour, but he was as much use in this context as a chocolate teapot.

With the help of my Spanish assistant, and my then very limited knowledge of Spanish, I achieved the opening of a current account, along with a cheque book and a credit card.

At the same time, some of my colleagues, equally misled and gullible, went to the same bank and opened accounts. Let's call them Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Within days, or more probably weeks, our cheque books and credit cards turned up in the post at our residential addresses. Fine. Except that Matthew got Mark's cheque book and my credit card. Luke got John's credit card and Matthew's cheque book ............. and so on. We all sorted it out between ourselves at the office, and all was fine until Luke got my salary credited to his account and Mark's credit purchases debited to his account. It is hard to imagine how such errors could have occurred, but they did. And continued. When we tried to call the bank they promised to call back and never, ever, did.

This was in the good old days before the insanity of the Euro, and we all travelled a lot. Our accounts were, of course, in Pesetas (to which was added the complication of Pesetas convertibles and Pesetas non-convertibles) and the debits from the cards were in a variety of currencies including Albanian Lek, Mongolian Yakturds, Paraguayan Pesos and Russian Roubles. I paid a hotel bill for a (ghastly) three week stay at the Sheraton in Brussels with mine, and they debited me with 'x' million Spanish Potatoes, instead of 'x' million Belgian Waffles. At that time the Belgian waffle was worth roughly, and inexplicably, 3 times the Spanish Potato. So I was up on the deal, well up. After a month or so they picked up their error and rang me, leaving a message, which I ignored. Repeat, many times, over weeks. Eventually they rang while I was there and I answered, and told them I didn't understand and would call them back. giving them a dose of their own medicine, I didn't. Over a period of weeks.

I remain convinced, and recent experience has done nothing to change that view, that Spanish banks are the most useless on the planet.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5192 Post by barkingmad » Thu May 28, 2020 7:41 pm

No warnings, no commiserations, no apologies for using a ‘black cab driver’ to inform youse, just pin back your lugholes and observe the disaster which is Brexit.
So far we (Africa and maybe South Asia) have had the plague of locusts, we’ve got pestilence I gather from avoiding MSM, there’s a plague of Frog matelots helping an illegal invasion force to land future Da’esh operatives who may already be infected with Covid-19 and the ceiling of the world will fall in if we go for Brexit having been advised against it by that unknown dickhead one Mr David Cameron.
So some years down the line and the following takes place;

Living not a million kilometres, or miles as they soon will be, close to the Nissan factory maybe I’d better start taking Spanish lessons. But are they as much fun as French lessons were rumoured to be...? :))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5193 Post by G-CPTN » Thu May 28, 2020 7:57 pm

The workforce at Sunderland already communicate thusly:-
"How hinny, hoya hamma ower hear"

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5194 Post by Undried Plum » Thu May 28, 2020 8:46 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Living not a million kilometres, or miles as they soon will be, close to the Nissan factory
That makes me feel so old.

I remember when that place was a grass strip with a visciously nasty varying slope (not of the Clarkson variety). I damn nearly killed four people in an extremely heavily overloaded first generation 172 (the one with the manual flaps and no rear window and a very tired old donkey) on takeoff from that turf when I woz young and stupid.

It gives me shivers to remember that.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5195 Post by G-CPTN » Thu May 28, 2020 8:54 pm

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5196 Post by barkingmad » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:25 am

For those in O-N who can't cope with our well informed 'blackcab driver', here's some updates on Brexit from very recently as an alternative to the "Hancock's HalfHour" which has kept us spellbound for the last few weeks.
The CG voice is not particularly easy listening but the content indicates the EUSSR is beginning to panic as time runs out.
The very suggestion that Barnier & the 27 will "walk away" seems too good to be true, but if/when they so do, then it's done and we can concentrate on getting on with recovering from the serious foot wounds resulting from Covid-19 hysteria.

I and a few others will be sooh relieved when the curtain finally drops on this 'negotiation' farce and we can stream out of a stuffy theatre into the fresh air of freedom, Covid-19 permitting.... :-w

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5197 Post by llondel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:02 pm

I'd open the door for him to help him out.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5198 Post by barkingmad » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm

Just in case we all thought that thanks to Covid-19 and BLM demos there was nothing else to worry our little selves about?

Fill yer boots, things have been happening, if you’re a Brexiteer, or not if you’re a one-man band acting for 27 other nations;

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCE3181Md ... gNw/videos

Things are cranking up towards the end of this month, the 30th, by which time progress towards capitulating to the Eurocrats must be made otherwise we’re out and away come New Year without some sort of crappy deal. GOOD ! !

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5199 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am

Can anyone update me on where we are in the 'negotiations'? I believe Bojo said he would 'walk away' if there was no deal - has he, or do we have to wait until 30/6 to find out? Is he 'weakening'? Is this why the 'political pirate' Farage is fluffing up his feathers?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5200 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:08 pm

My understanding is that Gove confirmed in the past few days that the UK would not be seeking an extension. This effectively means the UK will walk away with no deal at the end if the year if there isn't a good one on the table. The next danger is that they'll still try for a deal even if it's worse than walking away, although I have more confidence in the current negotiating team than their useless predecessors.