BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5081 Post by Woody » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:11 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5082 Post by barkingmad » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:36 am

Like a very bad toothache the pain goes on and on;

I’m sure I detected a palpable rise in my BP and heart rate at the behaviour of that awful po-faced Mairead McGuinness in the EUSSR parliament as she cut off the audio from Nigel on his last speech and demanded the flags be put away.

It is with relief I hope we’re moving away from the superstate of Europe and we can observe it’s decline and disintegration over the next few years. Like the perpetual motion machine the great project was a good idea initially but fatally flawed in it’s construction and execution.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5083 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:44 am

I saw an article by Macron yesterday much along those lines. He hopes they learn.

It is really like a super civil service guiding the EU in one direction and thwarting any attempt to deviate by mere elected MEPs. I have met one of our MEP dined with him once, in a group the second time, and at a meeting the third. What he actually could do for his constituents remained nebulous.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5084 Post by barkingmad » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Apparently 1,000 EU financial firms, including some of Varadkar’s lot, have applied for post-Brexit UK access. If so, what price Project Fear’s oft-quoted horror scenario of mass defections of companies from the Square Mile to the superstate mainland?

And also allegedly not only are THEY after our UK boundary fishing waters but they’re now afraid they’ll lose out on fishing for some exotic squid species off the Falkland Islands as well.

Pity the Vulcan isn’t still in service or we could wave the big stick at them again!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5085 Post by OFSO » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:09 pm

Scene: Sunday roast beef etc at the café Diem in Santa Margarida. All the expats getting stuck in, mounds of beef, veggies, gravy, emerging from the kichen. Meine host Peter emerges to announce he's missing one vegetable: "Sorry, but we're out of Brussels !" Loud Cheers....

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5086 Post by om15 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:18 pm

Nigel is pretty irrepressible, today he was hosting his LBC show and enthusiastically championing Frexit with a French caller and Grexit with a Greek caller, the drab and inconsequential remainers seem to be stunned into silence, even Bliar says that we must "accept" it, we have won.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5087 Post by barkingmad » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:54 pm

I suspect this guy probably voted LEAVE;

Some priceless comments follow the vid on scrolling down.

Do I detect a certain note of mild panic in the very recent utterances of the Verhofprat, Barnier, Macaroon and Van der Leyen set now that they’ve opened their eyes and got a whiff of the coffee?

Today week we should have some idea about the fate of Varadkar and how he’s impressed the Oirish voters. :-\

Slasher

#5088 Post by Slasher » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 am

Some surprise the quid didn’t fall (as I expected) on Jan 31st but actually rose. Given the propagandic nonsense of the MSM about Brexit I thought it would drop. Was hoping USD1.15 to the £. I was all set to buy a palletted truckload of the sterling Sterling at that price.

My Brit stocks are up. Not enough to retire on, but up.

IIRC in 1940/41 the word was ‘Britain can take it’. Now it’s time Blighty dishes it out in droves and shoves it right up the EUSSR’s arse. It’ll be hard work as I mentioned before, but economically speaking England will succeed.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5089 Post by barkingmad » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:19 am

Apparently, according to Jeff Taylor, because the UK economy has done so well over the last year and earnings are up, THEY want to up our tax bill payable to the Brussels elite by a mere 11%!! Anyone support that cheque writing? [-X

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5090 Post by ian16th » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:07 pm

I'm Confused.

When the UK joined the Common Market, part of our entry price was to let the rest of the members take fish from our territorial waters.

Now that the UK is leaving the EU, the EU want the right to take fish from the UK territorial waters, as part of the price for leaving.

Why am I confused?
Cynicism improves with age

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5091 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:18 pm

ian16th wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:07 pm
I'm Confused.

Why am I confused?
Because you are wrongly assuming that the EU are going to be fair. They are not. They will do their best to screw the UK as much as they can. I just hope that Boris really does have BIG BALLS ! :ymdevil:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5092 Post by Boac » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Mrs ex-A wrote:I just hope that Boris really does have BIG BALLS !
- I understand there are several mothers you could approach for detail....

An unintended consequence of Brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 16596.html

Interesting question - exactly WHERE will RyanAir recruit cabin-crew from? Do we assume all crew will be based now outside the UK?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5093 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm

As I understand it, Boris is putting sovereignty a big FIRST.

Trade will be a distant second. Very wise too.

Trade deals can always be arrived at, but sovereignty once lost is a bitch to recover.

There's one of those Jeff Taylor videos on the subject. Look it up if interested.

I predict that 'fishing' is coming home, and will NOT be included in trade talks. Further, I sincerely hope negotiations break down completely, resulting in a No Deal BrExit- as voted for by, ermmmm, those who voted.

Enough of farting around.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5094 Post by barkingmad » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:18 am

AK. +1. Further to that I sometimes wonder if Cummings & co are watching Jeff Taylor and Nigel’s LBC show as the noises emanating from Johnson often seem suspiciously like responses to those vids.

I’m finding it difficult to locate the full performance but this recent address by Johnson is probably one reason why the Eurocrats appear to be chewing wasps;

Boris in full flow, like a Spring tide. I just hope he can maintain it in the face of the EUSSR tsunami heading our way!

Obviously he’s too busy to visit a decent gents’ hairdresser but maybe that wild tousled image is deliberate?

Capetonian

#5095 Post by Capetonian » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:17 pm

This is real Alice in Wonderland stuff.

My son is a dual national, and has passports of, countries A and B. He lives in country C. He needs to get a certified copy of his passport (either of the two) and a proof of residence.
The local authority in country C, nor the police can do it. Nor can a lawyer unless he's a known client.

He went to the local authority, with whom he is registered as a resident. The woman took the passport, made a photocopy, and then said she didn't have the credentials to certify that it's a real copy.

In South Africa the police were so stupid (they are probably worse now) that you could go to them with a photocopy and they would certify it as true copy of the original without seeing the original.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5096 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:57 pm

The more a country depends on paperwork (Germany, Spain) the more willing authorities are to accept stamps......although thirty years ago in Germany we used to roll a hard-boiled egg across an original and transfer certification stamps that way. Really good embossing used to be done using a five Deutschmark coin and a rubber hammer....

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#5097 Post by k3k3 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:11 pm

In Germany the town hall copied an English language document of mine and then said they couldn't certify it was a true copy as they didn't know what it said...

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5098 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 pm

I am not sure if they are to put here or on the Friday joke thread

Diet

A paint over

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5099 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Make a fortune with adhesive England or Union flags.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5100 Post by barkingmad » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:36 pm

OH DEAR ! LET’S GET BREXIT UNDONE SHALL WE?

Not a very optimistic outlook, is it?

The 2-part TV show last week “Europe-Them & Us” was a fairly presented look back at the duplicity, lies and stupidity which got us into bed with a bad lot. I hope we’re not seeing a rerun of those awful times but I get that feeling we’re heading for the prison van preparing for the next long stretch inside...... [-X