BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Sisemen

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#2081 Post by Sisemen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Read Private Eye regularly (when I can get a copy); don't read RAF News - old or new; have a very expansive range of reading material which I use to make a valued judgement on things (admittedly tempered by my upbringing, belief system, career, and world experience but guaranteed certified to see all points of view - and occasionally change that when believable facts warrant it). How about you?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2082 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Why is 'no deal' seen as unpleasant?

I want 'no deal'.

Capetonian

#2083 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Any 'deal' would clearly advantage the EU to the detriment of the UK.

No deal at this stage seems to be the best possible outcome, freeing the UK of the restrictions imposed upon it by the EU and leaving it free to negotiate with whom it wants.

A 'deal' would be like divorcing the wife, getting no conjugal rights, but having to pay for the divorce and maintenance, and still listen to her nagging.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2084 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 pm

I am impressed. Corbyn spoke very well just now. May contradicted herself several times:appears confused, not for the first time. And, when all is said and done, she has wasted two years and we are now, if not up, very near the entrance to sh*t creek. Yes, no deal please !

BTW, the debate tonight is on many TV foreign stations, with simultaneous translation/sub titled.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2085 Post by Magnus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 pm

No deal for me, please. I've yet to meet a divorced woman or man who was unhappy with being free of unpleasant matrimonial shackles. Walk away; get on with life.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2086 Post by llondel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:03 pm

No Deal breaks all sorts of things, including, in theory, the right of residency of all those on the wrong side of the English Channel (although both sides have pretty much said everyone can stay where they are as a general principle). However, by highlighting these issues, it puts the spotlight on the politicians to fix them PDQ. So there will be some pain and uncertainty while they sort it. The Remain crowd only see the pain, not the subsequent gain, and fail to see that a bit of pain now may well avoid a lot of pain later when the EU falls apart.

Cancelling Article 50 now would mean that no one ever gets to leave the EU (until it collapses) because it would have been shown that the UK failed to manage it and came meekly back to the fold.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Government defeated by 432 to 202!

#2087 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Faack!!!

Any Prime Minister defeated by such a collossal and completely unprecedented Majority on the Government's main plank of policy should immediately go to the Palace and say Goodbye to Her Majesty.

There should be an immediate General Election. No pissing about.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2088 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Yes yes and yes. But Theresa May has no shame. Her self-delusion continues. She claims Corbyns proposal - if he were Prime Minister - to go back to Brussels and renegotiate the agreement would be rejected, yet she now proposes to go back to Brussels, tail between her legs, to do just that. Her resignation is long overdue. Her incompetence shames us all.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2089 Post by Boac » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm

'May you live in interesting times.' I admire her, at least, for sticking with the will of the people of the country against her own personal wishes. For that she needs credit.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2090 Post by om15 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:40 pm

Yes I agree with that, she may or may not have screwed it up, but she has put 100% in, done the right thing by her own conscience, she has been defeated because shamefully Corbyn and his team would have voted down anything because their only aim is to get into power, together with the Remain Tories (aided by a completely biased Speaker who obstructed a helpful amendment today) and the hard Brexit supporters.
No one can win against that lot.
She is head and shoulders above Cameron who cut and ran, and Corbyn who doesn't have a shred of integrity, so she has my respect for her efforts.

Hopefully we can now leave without a deal and get on with it.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2091 Post by llondel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:17 pm

There's a degree of strategy behind putting it to the vote. Should she toddle off to see her EU masters tomorrow, she'll be able to point out how completely unacceptable their offer was and that perhaps they could do a bit better if they see fit to revise it. This assumes that it wasn't her plan all along to come up wtih a late, unacceptable deal and then say "sorry, we're not going to to leave after all".

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2092 Post by BenThere » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:18 am

I stand from afar as an American, and admittedly am totally unqualified to assess the Brexit status with any expertise whatsoever. But I do have an opinion.

I believe hard Brexit is the best course the UK could take. It would re-establish the sovereignty of the British Isles, a noble and great nation, over its domain, free to make its way in the world on its own terms. Should Scotland and Ulster wish or not, to remain, independent of England, that should be their warrant, though they should carefully consider and think through the consequences and features of being British. Betting on Britain has been a good bet in the past, and I continue to think it will be in the future. To me the key to the future is not so much tied to the EU as it is the demographics of Islamization and continued immigration that dilutes and reduces the native British culture that has positively influenced the world for centuries.

Aside: My wife and I spent four days at the Melbourne, Australia Intercontinental Hotel in Melbourne's CBD. The reception clerk was a French national, with whom I practiced my appalling French. The concierge was a young, handsome Brit, perfectly turned out in a crisp dress shirt, perfect tie, well-knotted, and excellent Brooks Brothers blue blazer. I'm talking GQ here. So after checking in, we stopped by the concierge desk for recommendations and I warned the Brit that there was a Frog lurking at reception. Without hesitation, and with the aplomb of James Bond, our concierge said, "We know about him and are tracking his every move. He has no chance of success, as Frogs well know." I loved that response, even though I am something of a Francophile myself (South of France version).

In a perfect world Brits would think as highly of Americans as we do of them.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2093 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 am

Back to the topic. Two views this morning interested me. Tusk has incorrectly interpreted the vote as a vote against Brexit, instead of the reality: a vote against May's form of Brexit. And the German MEPs said after years of ignoring the Lisbon Treaty requirements it is up to Brussels to make concessions to the UK.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2094 Post by om15 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am

In a perfect world Brits would think as highly of Americans as we do of them.
Twice in the last century America has saved Europe from itself, on both occasions at considerable cost in terms of people. Later provided vital support during the Cold War era, but unfortunately in the last 30 years or so the US has suffered from poor presidents, the current crack pot being a prime example. This has resulted in bad overseas policy which is directly and indirectly the cause of many of our current problems, particularly in the middle east, this has slightly tarnished the image of the US amongst those who don't remember what came before.
Other than not having the ability to make good television programmes I personally have the greatest respect for the American people.

The EU appear stumped this morning, I rather consider the current situation in a good light, in Europe (despite their pretence otherwise) there is little democracy, all decisions are made by corrupt self serving politicians behind closed doors, at least we are demonstrating to Europe how democracy works, or possibly in this case doesn't work, we should take pride in that.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2095 Post by AtomKraft » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 am

For pities' sake!
This is getting embarrassing....can we not just do as we said we'd do should the population vote to leave?
Pull up the drawbridge, and...

LEAVE!

Capetonian

#2096 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 am

No deal for me.
Up yours, Druncker and all of you evil conniving self-serving gravy-train snuffling pigs.

Slasher

Re: Government defeated by 432 to 202!

#2097 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:53 pm
There should be an immediate General Election. No pissing about.
Yeh but that's wots been Corbyn's agenda all along Mr Plum. You have your finger on the pulse better than us dumb buggers of Antipodean descent, but if a GE was called how big the risk of Labour gettin' in?

Yep I have investments in England. Yep those investments will stay put (with some minor tweaks) if there's a hard Leave. And nope I'll pull out every last bloody penny if there's even the merest hint of a whiff that Labour will occupy Downing St.

Also if you don't mind me asking mate what's wrong with a hard Brexit anyway? It'll mean hard work and some hard pain at first, but at least that 39 billion quid stays in Blightly and not in the pockets of those EU crunts.

Capetonian

#2098 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am

The thought of Corbyn or anyone of his ilk and political persuasion in Downing Street feels me with horror, and unfortunately the reality is that if an election were called, there would be enough misguided brainwashed idiots who would vote for him.

I completely understand why the electorate are disillusioned with the Conservatives, but the alternative is utterly abhorrent.

Teresa May had a poisoned chalice forced on her, and I do not think anyone else could have done much better than she has, bad as that may be. The EU was never going to make it easy or advantageous for the UK to leave, but leave they must.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2099 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am

Que sera sera . . .

Slasher

#2100 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 pm

C'est la guerre...