BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Capetonian

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#2141 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:01 pm

Sorry...bit way off topic but I've noticed for a while the discourse between Cape and K&C on a couple of Ops-N threads, and in every case I can't help being reminded of this old clip if the two should ever meet
Fat chance! I'd rather have root canal surgery without anaesthesia.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2142 Post by BenThere » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 pm

I always liked the Jack Nicholson quote, forgot the movie:

"I'd rather stick needles in my eyes."

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2143 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:22 am

For those who understand what irony means, sadly there are several on here who don't, here's Boris.......standing in front of JCB's and digging a very deep hole for himself.

https://www.channel4.com/news/boris-joh ... ion-claims

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2144 Post by probes » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:15 am

Yeah, politics and practicalities... it would probably be too much to expect them to think about what the 'not sure' means for just 'daily life'?

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2145 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:47 am

There's no sign of leadership in sight.

Best thing to do is to declare we will leave on March 29, and devote the little time that remains to try and minimise disruption.

While it's easy to blame May, her deal was an impossibility. A bit like stating to the salesman that you'll definitely buy his top of the range BMW, then having trouble getting him to agree to your offer.

The 27 Countries made the offer to the UK on terms that were favourable to the 27. Unfortunately the terms are so favourable to the 27, that it's impossible for the Brits to ratify it!

We need to leave with a clean sheet. We can then negotiate everything with the EU without their gun pointing at our head.

It's the only way.

If it's done as I suggest, we will eventually end up with the Brexit that we need. I can't see any other way of getting there.

Capetonian

#2146 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 am

We could do a lot worse than Gove as PM if May is forced out :

The nightmare, Armageddon, Doomsday scenario is Labour in power with that Corbyn in number 10.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2147 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am

What a speech! That was impressive.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2148 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 am
We could do a lot worse than Gove as PM if May is forced out :

The nightmare, Armageddon, Doomsday scenario is Labour in power with that Corbyn in number 10.
Oh man ! would this be the same Gove who screwed up in spectacular fashion at the Dept.of Education, who had a "Eureka ! " moment when he woke up and decided he was going to be the next PM, who suddenly became an environmentalist....possibly because his wife writes for a rag that has removed the scourge of the plastic bag from the planet ....Hoorah for a Mail crusade !..who has promised the farmers they will still receive subsidies, if, and when, we leave the EU.

He's one stage below Boris when it comes to self serving duplicity and second equal to Grayling when it comes to incompetence. But, he clearly appeals to the gullible members of the electorate.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2149 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am

BOAC, indeed. I thought the reaction by some of his targets was good too with Cable having the wit to smile. Corbyn however didn't even dare to shake his head.

Capetonian

#2150 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Corbyn looked like a rabbit (rat might be a better analogy) caught in the headlights of an approaching juggernaut. As well he might.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2151 Post by ricardian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 pm
Loved it ! Brilliant series, dark humour and satire combined perfectly.....Hadfield isn't that bad actually...when the sun shines.
I was brought up in Hayfield, just a few miles from Hadfield. From the senior class in primary school we were taken to Glossop baths once a week but I never learned how to swim until I joined the RAF in 1959. Other memories of Glossop include weekly trips to the indoor market where there was a very popular pork butcher who only opened his market stall on Saturday mornings, a queue began to form long before he opened the shutters
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2152 Post by probes » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:27 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:47 am
We need to leave with a clean sheet.
If there is one?

Bob
Capt
Capt

#2153 Post by Bob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:33 pm

Gove is a backstabbing little prick whose only interest is himself....a sort of super politician, I'm quite surprised at the number of people falling for it
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Slasher

#2154 Post by Slasher » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:50 pm

probes wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:27 pm
AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:47 am
We need to leave with a clean sheet.
If there is one?
Good question. With all the wanking going on by both Houses I dunno if there is one.

Good sentiments expressed by Atomcraft BTW.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2155 Post by Woody » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2156 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 am

Hands up those who believe in fairy stories, apart from those on here who write about themselves and numerous events in their life as they did on TOP that is, because here's what you might say is a contemporary fable...

Unfortunately, it's not going to be a myth....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... it-cartoon

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2157 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 am

Krystal.
It's that cartoon that's a fairy story.

Brexit, hard or otherwise is nothing to do with hedge funds or the NHS.

Why is it hard to understand that some people just want to regain, and then retain, control of their own country?

After all, isn't that the de-facto position of most countries? Is it so hard to grasp?

I understand that fear of change is normal. It IS fear though, and not something to be proud of.

We are LEAVING the EU soon, to stand our own two feet again. It will probably bring some pain in the short term, and some good that will last for centuries.

Thank goodness, not everyone is afraid.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2158 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 am
Krystal.
It's that cartoon that's a fairy story.

Brexit, hard or otherwise is nothing to do with hedge funds or the NHS.

Why is it hard to understand that some people just want to regain, and then retain, control of their own country?

After all, isn't that the de-facto position of most countries? Is it so hard to grasp?

I understand that fear of change is normal. It IS fear though, and not something to be proud of.

We are LEAVING the EU soon, to stand our own two feet again. It will probably bring some pain in the short term, and some good that will last for centuries.

Thank goodness, not everyone is afraid.
Thanks for that clarification...you may, it seems, have missed a well publicised photo, or two, of, erm, " A BIG RED COACH " with something about £350m and, erm, the NHS scrawled across the side ?....next unfortunate misunderstanding, on your part that is....we do currently have control of our own country, lets call it the UK to be all inclusive shall we.....and if, and when, we leave, the pain as you put it won't be minimal....it will be extensive and affect most of the population ......apart from Mail / Torygraph readers of a certain age demographic who are retired with what George would call a "nice little earner " in the form of their pensions....and so quaintly immersed in the past and under the delusion the UK is somehow going to emerge like a butterfly from a chrysalis and once again be the focal point of the known world ......get real baby.

Remind us all again of those lucrative trade deals Treeza, Boris, David and Liam have secured on their various junkets around the globe....the one's that will put those damned foreign chaps in Brussels in their place ?.....take your time over this question please.

Oh, and some spacious "deal " involving the UK consumer being offered "good wholesome, all-Americun fare "....such as chlorine blasted chicken and other meat infused with numerous chemicals...doesn't actually count.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2159 Post by AtomKraft » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:12 am

Look Krystal.
About half voted to go, and half voted to stay. One half isn't ever going to agree with the other.
The finer points of the debate are, as you'd say, 'debatable.

The outcome on the other hand, is clear.

We're leaving. Accept it, and let's get on with it. So you were on the losing side? Big deal. It doesn't mean you are an idiot, or everything you said or thought is wrong. It's just you supported the side that lost.

If you believe in Democracy, as I'm sure you do- then sometimes you will be on the side that loses.

You should accept the result as gladly as you do when your side wins. If not you are a hypocrite.

There isn't going to be a second vote. There isn't going to be much we can, all of us, agree on.
There might be an extension to art. 50, or there might not. It won't resolve the problem in any case, any more than a second vote wouldn't.

Let's just leave, then start negotiating.

It won't be as bad as you fear.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2160 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:12 am
Look Krystal.
About half voted to go, and half voted to stay. One half isn't ever going to agree with the other.
The finer points of the debate are, as you'd say, 'debatable.

The outcome on the other hand, is clear.

We're leaving. Accept it, and let's get on with it. So you were on the losing side? Big deal. It doesn't mean you are an idiot, or everything you said or thought is wrong. It's just you supported the side that lost.

If you believe in Democracy, as I'm sure you do- then sometimes you will be on the side that loses.

You should accept the result as gladly as you do when your side wins. If not you are a hypocrite.

There isn't going to be a second vote. There isn't going to be much we can, all of us, agree on.
There might be an extension to art. 50, or there might not. It won't resolve the problem in any case, any more than a second vote wouldn't.

Let's just leave, then start negotiating.

It won't be as bad as you fear.
I am aware of the voting percentiles and I'm also a believer in democracy. Hence, the reason I, and a few million others, are so opposed the damage to the future of the UK this seminal vote will induce.

As for negotiating when we leave, and in theory we have been "negotiating " for the last 2.5 years, please tell us how you negotiate from a position of weakness with nothing to offer in return. Whilst we are still a member of the EU, we can influence decisions. Outside ?.....no chance.

And, presumably, these contingency plans we hear about are just paperwork exercises are they ?...being drafted to keep civil servants gainfully employed let alone the many interviews with people whose occupations are going to be directly affected and whose perceptions of theirs, and the UK''s future is acutely concerning. This on the basis they understand reality.