BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#3481 Post by Smeagol » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:43 pm

I did recommend a few days ago that any utterance by K&C was best ignored as comments only encouraged him.

(I may have raised my profile approaching that of Cape in K&C's eyes which could mean much vitriol coming my way. Oh dear. Never mind.)
We hates Bagginses!

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#3482 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:33 am

om15 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:25 pm
He obeys the party whip and keeps his head down.

Ditto with mine.

K&C, your constant links to the Gaurdian reinforces our low opinion of the standards and content, however it appears that the child columnists and the whey faced Trot feminists that inhabit it's dismal portals are indeed running scared of Nigel, not used to facts being presented in a clear and unambiguous manner they are becoming unsettled, but please do continue with the links.
Thank you for the positive feedback. I am aware, that, sadly, the educational standards in the UK have been in decline for some years now, hence my altruism in offering a lifeline in the form of the Guardian, in order to reverse the adverse effects which have clearly blighted the lives of so many poor souls not only on here but in the real world.

Thus I am delighted to read your request to continue.

As we know, thanks to privatisation, the water utilities are not spending much on infrastructure ( true, there is a big new shiny sewer being built under London ) and the system is already overstretched without the addition of UKIP and it's members. I am sure therefore, that, there will be universal, on here, applause for the party however.....Nige also gets a mention you will be pleased to learn.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ard-batten

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3483 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am

Smeagol, being stalked is an offence. Being stalked on the internet is no lesser extent. How to deal with an internet stalker is, as you say, starve them of oxygen.

Someone here, can't remember who, knew this one during training, doesn't know why he turned out as he has.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3484 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:04 am

Since he joined here I've found K&C's posts to be perfectly acceptable.......
ignore.JPG
ignore.JPG (13.47 KiB) Viewed 379 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3485 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:59 am

I see the enchanting Ms Abbott got caught drinking alcohol on the London Overground. A mojhito of all things, pre-mixed in a can, purchased from M&S. Absolutely no class...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3486 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:39 am

They make these laws, but feel no obligation to observe them.
I was always taught that the primary method of leadership was example.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#3487 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:07 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:59 am
I see the enchanting Ms Abbott got caught drinking alcohol on the London Overground. A mojhito of all things, pre-mixed in a can, purchased from M&S. Absolutely no class...
Aww, bless her.....clearly shadowing Boris for faux pas and embarrassment then.....mind you, George when he was Chancellor, did thoughtfully remind a mere train employee of their respective status when he boarded a train at Macclesfield .....without that bit of card that applies to the rest of us.....called a ticket

Transport, of any form, and politicians, any hue, has always been an area prone to political embarrassment

" I was always taught that the primary method of leadership was example "

I assume you are basing this hypothesis on your time in the RAF where the above was non existent, ?......likewise "management "....the Air Force Act and Q.R's negating any requirement for either to be required.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3488 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:52 am

Can't resist it can we?

I managed, clearly someone else can't😇

Sisemen

#3489 Post by Sisemen » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Ditto.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3490 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Do you think it possible for someone ex-RAF to sue (the RAF) for the obvious damage done to their ability to cope with life outwith the service environment?

Maybe that person was unsuited to life anyway?

When you try to put a square peg in a round hole there's bound to be chips produced.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3491 Post by boing » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 pm

I have often observed that I did not have to relate to the "average" citizen until I retired. Grammar School, followed by RAF, followed by the airlines. All this time, considering only the people I had close contact with, working with above averagely intelligent individuals among whom the dumbest would rate above average in civilian life. T'was a surprise when I retired and actually tried to hire people.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3492 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Likewise. Public school, collegiate university (Durham), RAF, teacher in west country boarding schools. Tried a midlands day school for a year - total nightmare (the area, not the school). Left for rural Canada.

I did work at a big Woolies department store as my teenage Saturday job, in the kind of surburban town outside London that features a lot in songs by The Jam. My oppo and I would go drinking at lunchtime, aged 16, in the boozer outside the store. We were not the youngest people in there. It got shut down a few years later and razed to the ground. I've also seen the rough end of Sheffield - all of them ;))) So I know what Pulp were on about with 'Common People'.

In fact, whilst my choice of careers was guided solely by my passions, I would have done anything to avoid a 9-5 job in a boring suburban town - I'd seen the Gates of Hell, and steered well clear.

I will finish with 2 songs by the aforementioned that sum it all up much better than I can.

Slasher

#3493 Post by Slasher » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:13 am

In fact, whilst my choice of careers was guided solely by my passions, I would have done anything to avoid a 9-5 job in a boring suburban town - I'd seen the Gates of Hell, and steered well clear.
Yep same here. No way could I do 9-5 in some frigging office. I'd go nuts!

One of the advantage of expat airline flying (as one has a globally marketable skill) is one got to experience a few countries by actually living there. Though I'm not flying now, I'm getting familiar with living in Honkers, how everything works and what the locals are really like.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3494 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:50 am

One of the advantages of .........airline flying.......... is one got to experience a few countries
Agreed, BTDT, which is a source of difference between the second Mrs. ExS and myself now, as we married not long before I retired and shes till wants to "travel". I wouldn't mind "being there", it's the "getting there" that fills me with dread, there was only one seat on the aeroplane bearable - top left hand corner, and the thought of being squashed into some tin can - aka Cruise Liner - with 3,000 others fills me with total dread.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3495 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:35 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:50 am
aka Cruise Liner - with 3,000 others fills me with total dread.
To a point I agree, even flying, black hole in a Vulcan was much better. You knew you would get out after 5 hours.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3496 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 am

Listening to golfing acquaintances after a match, and there is hardy a week goes by when someone won't pipe up about their intended travels - Vietnam, China, Canada, etc.. Seems like most have waited until retirement to see the world. Personally can't think of anywhere that I would really really like to go. Got to the age where the prospect of having to sit in an aeroplane for hour after hour would be a real PITA. As an engineer - avionics and computer never had a problem finding employment anywhere in the world. Always a demand.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3497 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 pm

60% of Conservative party members will support the Brexit Party at the EU elections, apparently.
This is the same panel who supported TM's deal last month, by the same proportion.
Times have changed.
The Mail on Sunday has a survey showing 40% of Tory councillors will support the Brexit Party.
My Party right or wrong appears to be out the window. TM will likely go down as the worst PM anywhere, ever.
https://www.conservativehome.com/thetor ... tions.html

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3498 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Fox, I think we never believed in our MEP anyway and for those elected next month they should be out of a job 6 months later. Perfect opportunity, with no risk, to give the Government a kicking.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3499 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm not at all sure it will work. I would imagine TM & cronies have already dismissed the impending EU results for that reason. Mind you, it still needs doing. The local elections are probably the only place to get the message across, as this loses them real power, and shows that her assumption that people will take anything instead of Corbyn is wrong.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#3500 Post by Krystal n Chips » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:02 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:51 pm
Do you think it possible for someone ex-RAF to sue (the RAF) for the obvious damage done to their ability to cope with life outwith the service environment?

Maybe that person was unsuited to life anyway?

When you try to put a square peg in a round hole there's bound to be chips produced.
Allow me to quantify matters for you.

Actually, the reverse is the case. Many served for 22 yrs and thereafter returned to normality without any adverse effects. Those that spent / spend their whole life in the RAF are the ones who cannot / could not adapt to being a civilian again. When you become institutionalised, the psychological transition is nigh on impossible to make. Equally, they are unemployable in the private sector, hence some gravitate to the M.o.D purely because they won't be confronted with a paradigm shift in working conditions and culture. Both this site and TOP have several classic examples of those described and trust me, there are numerous others in the real world.

Back to Brexit and good old Nige. Caution, this contains satire....however, it's not unsurprising to read that one of the founders of Nige's happy throng has the perfect pedigree for its birth.....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-election

Personally, one suggests there are many more enjoyable ways to spend your time on in Nottingham ....one recommends the "French Living " restaurant at the top of King Street. Not only does the venue serve authentic French food, they also allow anybody to be a patron.....even those who are not really South African, and with a pathological hatred of the French for example, would be welcome.