BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

‘Nuff talkin’, We’re walkin’!

#5141 Post by barkingmad » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:41 pm

If this is true there’s going to be trouble at ‘t Brussels Mill?

Sounds like the sort of noises which should have been made 3+ years ago!

It should certainly concentrate the minds of the EUrocrats and distract them from the ominous creaking noises from the rest of the doomed ship.

Best news I’ve heard for a long time, I just hope the Johnson doesn’t waver. We have to presume if he does he’ll find Rottweiler Cummings’ teeth wrapped around his much vaunted cohones?

PS, the other 2 J T vids of today also worth a look! Chinese computer components affecting one of her Maj’s gunboats bodes I’ll for Huawei?!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#5142 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:14 am

Yes, I'm looking at what's happening now and thinking that if they'd started like this then the whole thing would have been settled, probably with a reasonable deal, by now.

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#5143 Post by sidevalve » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:26 am

Yes, Mrs May has much to answer for.
I admit to being taken in by her fine words immediately after the Referendum - and I was willing to cut her some slack.
If nothing else, the turbulent 3 years that followed demonstrated that we have a democracy in the UK. Yes, it may be imperfect - but we got there in the end.

Sabo
First Solo
First Solo

#5144 Post by Sabo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:42 am

Yep we got there despite the actions of the majority of our corrupt MPs
But now we have the problem of a largely corrupt government lead by an Elitist thug tied to big corporate interests (Boris, despite his popularist rantings is no common man, like Trump he was born with a silver spoon up his arse)
Division is set to get worse

Leaving the EU is a step along the way to freedom and democracy, we now have to work hard on unseating our own corrupt empire.
Biggest mistake the British public made was believing the propaganda and voting no in the referendum for Proportional representation.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5145 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:57 am

Sabo wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:42 am
Biggest mistake the British public made was believing the propaganda and voting no in the referendum for Proportional representation.
Gotta disagree on that one.

My experience of living with such a system shows that it has bigger and evil problems.
Cynicism improves with age

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5146 Post by om15 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 am

largely corrupt government lead by an Elitist thug tied to big corporate interests
I missed that one, can you advise an example of this Government (barely a few months old) corruption, and can you advise of the advantages of not representing big corporate interests bearing in mind that is what employs, feeds and clothes most of us.
I haven't noticed any division, most of the population appear to be massively relieved that we have a seemingly competent government that will represent their best interests in the EU negotiations and will pursue policies that will benefit UK citizens, especially when the alternative is considered. The only division seems to emanate from the BBC, but for how much longer?

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#5147 Post by sidevalve » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:47 am

Another occasion when I wish I could up arrow.. :-bd

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5148 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:28 pm

om15, and there is that vexed immigration issue. The man who put Boris in wants immigration properly controlled. Putting Polish plumbers on a level with an African immigrant might exclude both but equally it might move that Polish plumber from the black economy.

That man's former political party wants free EU movement. Hard ball - Soft ball?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5149 Post by probes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Are there enough Brits to do the plumbing, btw?
(or, should it be: enough employers to pay enough for Brits to be willing to do plumbing?)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5150 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Actually I have yet to meet a Pole or any other non British plumber, or builder, or kitchen fitter, or plasterer or tiler, or painter, car mechanic etc. May be a problem in the M 25 bubble but not up north.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5151 Post by om15 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:51 pm

All plumbers, bricklayers, electricians and so on around here are local people, the only Poles are working on sub minimum wage agricultural jobs in chicken places and mushroom farms. When/If they go the locals will have to do it on a higher wage, but then at least the money will be circulating in the local economy and not be sent home to Poland.

If cheap foreign labour is needed then BJ will permit it to be supplied.

Capetonian

#5152 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 am

EU HOUSE SPEAKER INTERVIEW LÁSZLÓ KÖVÉR PARLIAMENT
House Speaker Kövér: EU May be Over by 2030
Fanni Kaszás 2020.02.27.

László Kövér, Speaker of the Hungarian National Assembly, talked to Katolikus Rádió (Catholic Radio) on Wednesday, when he said he would not dare to bet a great amount that the European Union will still exist in 2030.

Kövér said there are two sides that cannot be compromised which are clashing, with those who think that there can be a democracy based on unlimited freedom on one side, and those who think that democracy can only be based on the balance between order and freedom on the other side.

He added that democracy could not stand against the will of the majority, and it now seems that this is becoming a trend in Europe. The House Speaker called the future of the European Union questionable. He said:

I would not dare to bet a great amount that the European Union will still exist in 2030.
Kövér also talked about the Gyöngyöspata case, in which he says a small minority wants to put significant amounts in their pockets with the help of lawyers and the Soros network. He said that in his view, “law and justice cannot be confronted with one another.”

Kövér also talked about how he sees that there are MPs from a younger age group in the Parliament with serious shortcomings in their education- but there is an even more serious problem caused by the changing communication, which resulted in Parliament losing its importance as a stage for debate and the only thing they could get to the internet portals are scandals, and “the arguments, the opinion of the other does not matter” anymore.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5153 Post by Woody » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:03 pm

I know that there’s other factors involved, but Boris’s little outburst this week hasn’t gone down well in the fx market :(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5154 Post by llondel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:04 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:57 am
Sabo wrote:

My experience of living with such a system shows that it has bigger and evil problems.
If I was going to vote for a change from FPTP, the option presented in the referendum is not the one I would choose to replace it. Clearly enough other people agreed with me.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5155 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:41 pm

llondel wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:04 pm
ian16th wrote:
Sabo wrote:

If I was going to vote for a change from FPTP, the option presented in the referendum is not the one I would choose to replace it. Clearly enough other people agreed with me.
I don't remember the detail at this distance, but it was a classic of frame the question to get the result you want. The EU referendum was equally an example of doing it wrong and accepting a 50% plus one.

Of course they tried to weasel it by saying it was only advisory but . . .

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5156 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:55 pm

llondel wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:04 pm
ian16th wrote:
Sabo wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but wasn't the referendum about whether or not to have a transferable vote system?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5157 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:11 pm

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5158 Post by ian16th » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks for that.

It wasn't a referendum for a proportional system.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5159 Post by barkingmad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:42 pm

Sounds like Les Frogs are gearing up for war with the UK so expect we’ll see our (serviceable) tanks rolling to the Channel ports soon.
Also what’s left of the Royal Navy will have to deploy to break up their threatened blockade of the ports.

Audio only so’s you can peel the spuds whilst listening?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5160 Post by barkingmad » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:25 am

Further to my last it sounds like it's hotting up over the fisheries issue and we're desperately looking for fishery protection assets to protect our boys and girls out in the North Sea and North Atlantic? Hopefully the MRSA program will be rolled out with decent haste? (MRSA = Must Refurbish Shackletons Again!)

Pop across to Jeff Taylor YouTube Latest for the up-to-date take on the forthcoming "Cod War". Not mentioned is the flogging off of the UK Fishermens' quotas to the foreigners, by the big fisheries owners who presumably retired with their new RangeRovers and Porsches inside the gated compounds whilst the actual seafarers watched the boats being cut up on the beaches as a result of Edward Heath's sellout to BigCorp in the form of the EUSSR.

It will be interesting to see if Cummings/Johnson/Frost can hold their nerves in the face of a very angry economic bloc Southeast of Dover?