BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#4481 Post by om15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am

A Scottish Court has now ruled that Boris has behaved illegally by closing down Parliament.
I return to my earlier position that it would be much better for the English if both Scotland and NI were to go their own way, almost every day we see evidence that the Union is no longer working, now we have Scottish Courts ruling on UK matters, can English Courts overrule the Scottish Government, no, thought not.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4482 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 am

Please, please, please Boris - pull the rabbit out of the hat! Maybe you have something hidden up your sleeve...PLEASE!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4483 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:14 am

FD - are you sure it is up his sleeve? :))

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4484 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 am

om15 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am
A Scottish Court has now ruled that Boris has behaved illegally by closing down Parliament.
I return to my earlier position that it would be much better for the English if both Scotland and NI were to go their own way, almost every day we see evidence that the Union is no longer working, now we have Scottish Courts ruling on UK matters, can English Courts overrule the Scottish Government, no, thought not.
Yes, a London court can overrule the Edinburgh one. I suspect that it probably will when the appeal is heard.

Sisemen

#4485 Post by Sisemen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:53 pm

The Queen signed the Assent. So when did a Scottish judge trump the Queen of the United Kingdom?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4486 Post by om15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm

They reckon that Boris "misled" the Queen.

I don't have a lot of time for Boris, but he has the whole establishment against him, the media, Judges, everyone except the 52% that voted leave. All while Gyppo Corbyn, Red MacDonald and Jumbo Thornbury are rubbing their hands at the prospect of redistributing my wealth into their pockets and Sturgeon is seething about stirring it up in the background.

The foreigners in the EU can't believe their luck, their effective 5th columnists in Parliament are doing their job for them, we are being stitched up and the EU don't even have top take their hands out of their pockets.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4487 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:53 pm

If he's capable of misleading the Queen then that puts him head and shoulders (with no dandruff) above the rest of the political pack.

When it comes down to it, the courts have no business here, because the monarch will prorogue Parliament on the advice of her ministers (i.e. the PM goes to her and says "please do this"). Nothing misleading in that. He asked her to pull the plug and she duly obliged, as precedent says she should.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4488 Post by Ibbie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

There is ONLY ONE Supreme Court for the whole of the UK, which sits in London.

That is why this appeal from a decision of the highest Scottish Court has to go there.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4489 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:17 pm

I am reading that this has zero chance of passing the Supreme Court.
It's just another propaganda trick, where this result will be widely reported, and the Supreme Court decision relegated to page 94.
The Guardian seems to have most of the documents submitted
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ing-brexit
There's no smoking gun; nothing that shows Parliament was prorogued for anything other than the given reason.
Worth pointing out, as the PM's lawyers will, that Parliament is only suspended for 4 sitting days, whereas the remoaners keep presenting this as five weeks.

If anyone knows of any document that is a smoking gun, please link to it.

To me, the only things to come out of this is that the Cabinet Office civil servants cannot be trusted (which I suspect Boris already knows, from the content of the documents), and the Law Lords in Jockland are idiots.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4490 Post by om15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Law Lords in Jockland are idiots.
I don't think they are idiots, it is just that we don't fully understand how parts of the establishment are politically skewed in Scotland. My son serves in Police Scotland and it is rife in the Police, so no surprise that the Judges are anti UK.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4491 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm

I understand that.
What I mean by idiots is that making this political judgement doesn't help their cause in the long run. It is what is known these days as Intellectual Yet Idiot - IYI.
https://medium.com/incerto/the-intellec ... 211e2d0577
These judges are undermining their own position for supposed intelligence in interpreting evidence. It's the same thing in the US with the 9th Circuit, and on our own little island with the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission. In the long run, they will all find themselves with a lot less power, and therefore influence.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4492 Post by Woody » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35 am

Looks like Boris has ordered these to please his masters at the DUP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-49670332
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4493 Post by Ibbie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 am

But why has Babcock won the order, when their build consortium includes fFrench firm Theales, UK subsidiary?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4494 Post by Woody » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:56 am

Ibbie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 am
But why has Babcock won the order, when their build consortium includes fFrench firm Theales, UK subsidiary?
Even better Harland and Wolff and Ferguson Marine are both in Administration :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4495 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 pm

A NyaZillunner took an emotional support clown to an HR meeting where he knew he was to be fired.

How can Boris top that?

How could Boris ever be anything other than his own clown.

Chump will have the same problem when his time comes.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4496 Post by llondel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Boris gave them the chance to fire him but no one has taken it yet. I think he'll write to the EU the day before the deadline and tell them that they should reject the request that will come from him the following day as it will be written under duress and therefore should be regarded as invalid.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4497 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:37 pm

I see that dePiffle is inviting all those MPs he threw out of the Parliamentary Conservative Party to appeal against their dismissal.

I still can't believe that dePiffle threw Churchill's grandson out.

I well remember a glorious pissup with Nick Soames and Nicky Fairbairn in London. Nick told some very funny stories, including one which is retold here by Jim Davidson:

I suspect that Nick thinks of dePiffle much the same as Nick's RSM at Sandhurst thought of Nick.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4498 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:41 pm

RAF Drill Instructor
"Just remember that whilst all enlisted ranks will call you Sir, some of them may be spelling it C - U - R"

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4499 Post by BenThere » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 pm

I have a lot of time for Boris - he has the whole establishment against him, the media, Judges, everyone except the 52% that voted leave.

I find refreshing parallels between Boris and Donald all the time. They both face withering opposition, fight back, and don't give up. And their base support loves them. Brexit was the will of the people and the establishment has done its best to deny the mandate. President Trump won his election by the rules, outmaneuvering the Hilary campaign, surprising all of us. His opposition has done everything they can to overturn the result, but he's still standing - and winning.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4500 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Both Nick and Nicky fancied themselves as cocksmiths.

Nicky was inordinately proud of having porked Esther Rancid and Nick was delighted to have humped the most senior woman in Whitehall's First Division. She is said to have described the experience as being like being fallen upon by a wardrobe, with the key still in the lock.