BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#81 Post by 500N » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:11 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Yup. No trade barriers, minimal restrictions on travel, even a joint military force, all between Commonwealth countries. Free travel between Commonwealth countries but can't stay for extended periods of time. Wouldn't want the UK over run with Ozzies would we?

If you think about it, the basis is already there.

ANZUS and Five Eyes.

With the exception of NZ, the others exercise / go to war with the other 4 so often it is almost a joint force
so building on this would be easy.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:31 am

Alisoncc wrote:Personally I would like to see the emergence of a trading block based on shared values not just proximity.

Might one suggest Brexit followed by some real work being done on the Commonwealth as an entity in it's own right. There are 53 member countries who represent one third of the world's population. Imagine what the Brits, Ozzies, Canuks, Kiwis, those from the Indian Sub-Continent, a sprinkling of African ex-colonies could accomplish if they united. Might even allow the Americans in if they ask nicely. :D

Alison

The African former colonies are a waste of time and resources for the commonwealth. They're a spent force militarily and you'll find they use up resources and aid at an alarming rate with no discernible return on investment. Unrestricted travel would severely bite the first world commonwealth members in the arse as well.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:03 am

Alisoncc wrote:Free travel between Commonwealth countries but can't stay for extended periods of time. Wouldn't want the UK over run with Ozzies would we?

Note ALC I did suggest "can't stay for extended periods of time" as in cannot become permanent resident. Some minor restrictions like having to have enough funds to support oneself for length of stay might be appropriate as well.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

#84 Post by Capetonian » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:40 am

I have a friend (in fact I have several .....) who feels that Brexit would be a disaster for him. Here a few words from a couple of his latest emails to me on the subject. I agree with some of his points but disagree in general, just posting to show the other side of the coin.

The FT article you sent is a very sensible one. There’s also a front-page headline “Expats quit Europe” in today’s Times.
I did some preliminary work on my own Plan B while in SA. There’s a good chance I could get a private health insurance cover there despite my pre-existing cancer condition, and although it would be seriously expensive the cost would be offset by having to pay no tax on my pension there, as long as the existing rule remains in force, and of course by the low general cost of living.

Not that I’m panicking, but there has to be a Plan B. Many pro-Brexit commentators say “Oh, don’t worry, something will be done” without having the slightest idea what could or might be done. And my experience as an ex-CEO suggests that you don’t trust people who say “Oh don’t worry, something will be done” !!!

I started chatting to the British woman next to me who said she was a "passionate" Brexiteer and would put up with any amount of inconvenience to "stick two fingers up to Schengen". I smiled and asked her to keep her distance from me, as Brexit would probably kill my life in France and I might start a fight with her, and she said yes, her brother lives in France and thinks the same way.

I asked her why she was so passionate about Brexit, and she trotted out all the usual stuff about immigration and bureaucracy, to which I said yes, but if you're so passionate about it, tell me how your own life is going to change for the better once we're out. More platitudes, and I pressed the question as to how EU membership had impacted her own life negatively, to the extent that she was prepared to sacrifice her brother's existence in France in order to overcome the problems EU membership was causing her. She went quiet.

Then on the plane, it turned out that she was sitting directly in front of me ! So I jokingly asked the stewardess if she could be moved, as I have a Brexit allergy and if the woman talked about Bexit I might end up vomiting, to the inconvenience of other passengers !

Another British lady, sitting next to me, asked why I was so firmly against Brexit, and I said that the trouble with going backwards is that you leave behind the people and companies who have gone forward and can't go into reverse. She asked about my situation, and I said it was all about medical care (not quite true - my partner's residence status depends on being the spouse of a European citizen, which I would no longer be). I said I would have to think of moving to SA, and she said why not back to Britain ? And I said firstly because I wouldn't want to live with people who had voted to mess up my life, but also because of the poor quality of NHS care. Whereupon it turned out that she was a GP in the UK ! However, by the end of the flight I had told her the horror stories of my friend who died while (major UK city) General Hospital held meetings to decide which of their departments should be responsible for his treatment, and then lost his file for 3 weeks, and another who was left in such squalor in (another major UK city) General Hospital that his wife finally had to take bedsheets with her and change his bedding herself. When I compared this with the total professionalism of my French cancer care, the total lack of bureaucracy, and the personal warmth of the medical staff, she went quiet !

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:53 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Alisoncc wrote:Free travel between Commonwealth countries but can't stay for extended periods of time. Wouldn't want the UK over run with Ozzies would we?

Note ALC I did suggest "can't stay for extended periods of time" as in cannot become permanent resident. Some minor restrictions like having to have enough funds to support oneself for length of stay might be appropriate as well.

Alison

Sure. How's that working out for them so far?

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt

#86 Post by Tom Joad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Still voting to leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by OFSO » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Wouldn't want the UK over run with Ozzies would we?

Well, if the UK HAS to be over-run with someone, I'd take the Ozzies over the present recent arrivals. A few Sarf Africans wouldn't hurt, either.

Haven't changed my opinion of the voting, either, Mr Joad.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by om15 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Tom, nice to see you back in the fray, glad you are still voting to leave, always knew you were a closet kipper. How's the world up in claggy Caledonia, any thoughts on this bit of news?

The Scottish Government is facing fresh pressure today over its “secret” £10 billion deal with a Chinese consortium about potential economic growth and investment links.
Labour now want guarantees that it won’t mean buying in cheap Chinese steel to fund Scottish infrastructure projects at a time when the industry is in crisis throughout the UK

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/s ... z44tHg5YQw
Follow us: @TheScotsman on Twitter | TheScotsmanNewspaper on Facebook

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:11 pm

The Scottish Government is facing fresh pressure today over its “secret” £10 billion deal with a Chinese consortium about potential economic growth and investment links.

Is it true the £10 billion deal is being handled through the Panamanian firm Mossack Fonseca. And if so how can I get a part of the action? :D

Alison

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt

#90 Post by Tom Joad » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:31 pm

om15 wrote:Tom, nice to see you back in the fray, glad you are still voting to leave, always knew you were a closet kipper. How's the world up in claggy Caledonia, any thoughts on this bit of news?

Labour now want guarantees that it won’t mean buying in cheap Chinese steel to fund Scottish infrastructure projects at a time when the industry is in crisis throughout the UK

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/s ... z44tHg5YQw
Follow us: @TheScotsman on Twitter | TheScotsmanNewspaper on Facebook

Seems reasonable, after all what else are we to do with all the dosh the rest of the rUK sends our way. Only so much you can spend on free university education, free prescription charges, free elderly care and free state funded deep fat fried mars bar. As an rUK taxpayer om, I'd like to thank you for your contribution fella :-bd You know it makes sense.

How you getting on me ole in the overcrowded south Britain? I understand you have been finding it difficult getting hold of a decent NHS dental practice. Shame, nothing worse than sucking your gums over something that should be freely available from all that tax you pay. :YMHUG:

Tom

msdad2
Snr FO
Snr FO

#91 Post by msdad2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:51 am

BenThere wrote:Reports I'm reading, and I'm quite interested in this issue, is that Brexit is leading by about 4 points or so with 15-20% undecided. Does this comport with what you UK posters are sensing?

Massively underestimated IMHO. Every poll I have seen on forums or local online polls (local newspaper websites) Leave has been way out in front by a lot more than 4 points. I have only see it neck and neck in polls carried out by national polling organisations. I think the leave campaign will win by a fair margin.
Add in the bonuses that will come with it, Cameron getting the boot and Scotland getting another crack at independence its a win win win.
I hate Signatures!

Capetonian

#92 Post by Capetonian » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:08 am

I fear that the 'leave' will not be a majority, much as I would like it be. Polls are invariably biased and misleading, and people often think they'll jump one way but at the last moment will jump the other way.

I also fear that even if 'leave' is a majority, and it's likely to be small one, there won't be a Brexit, there will be all sorts of concessions which will allow Cameron and his Brussellian cronies to put lots of BandAid over the cracks until it comes undone again.

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt

#93 Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 am

Capetonian wrote:I also fear that even if 'leave' is a majority, and it's likely to be small one, there won't be a Brexit, there will be all sorts of concessions which will allow Cameron and his Brussellian cronies to put lots of BandAid over the cracks until it comes undone again.

One can only hope that does not happen.

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#94 Post by Dirk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 pm

Look to the Bookies, always more knowledgeable than the pollsters.

Unfortunately there are way too many sniveling sheeple in the UK today for an out vote

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by OFSO » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:59 pm

See my post on the Is it anarchy in what is left of Europe? thread for the continuing fiasco of the Western European Union and the inability of the idiots in Brussels to do anything properly.

If the 'Leave the EU campaign' is successful, don't think it will happen, or if it does, it won't be for years. If the campaign is unsuccessful, the UK will be permanently wounded, or if not permanently, then for years. As will the EU (note this doesn't not in any way, shape, or form constitute an opinion on my part that the EU is successful at present or ever has been, because it doesn't. As with an injured animal found at the roadside, the correct treatment now for the EU is to wring its neck.)

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt

#96 Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:50 pm

It has a long neck.

MoreAviation

#97 Post by MoreAviation » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:33 pm

You guys are weak. ! English I guess...

MA

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt

#98 Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:56 pm

MoreAviation wrote:You guys are weak. ! English I guess...

MA

Only by an act of admin error, not in frame nor soul,thank God. ;)

In any respect I was misquoting Churchill when he addressed the Canadian parliament - "some chicken, some neck". Now there was an Englishman.

Tom

MoreAviation

#99 Post by MoreAviation » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:11 pm

I trust you guys...

Please, whatever you do. Think!

MA

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRK6QpajpXQ&nohtml5=False[/bbvideo]

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:18 pm

It's all too late. The vote will be about whether or not to close the stable door after ..... The damage is done. Europe is destined to become part of the quagmire that constitutes the Middle East and Africa. Western civilisation as we know it will cease to exist in Europe. RIP.

Alison