BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#2521 Post by Magnus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:17 am

Oh, dear, KnC the link provided by YOU referred to a 15% increase in profits (to £2.6bn) in Barclay's investment arm. You claim to have read it, you've been directed back to the link YOU provided, you claim to have understood it, yet you witter on about quails' eggs. I'm planning to buy shares in a garden implement company so I can benefit from the increase in shovel sales while you wear them out digging.

Quails' eggs with celery salt are delicious.

Capetonian

#2522 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:16 am

The sayers of doom will doubtless be bitterly disappointed at the news that even in the unlikely event of a no deal Brexit on 29MAR, flights between the UK and the EU will continue.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2523 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:50 am

...and Eurostar and Eurotunnel announced that a deal or no-deal Brexit will not affect operations in any way.

Looking back over the past two years I see numerous predictions that the pound would be at parity with the euro by the time a deal Brexit arrived. Yet here we are with no deal looking likely and the bank rate for the pound is at 1.15. Yesterday the actual exchange rate I got was 1.135.

Capetonian

#2524 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:32 pm

According to an article in the rag so beloved of Komrad Krystal, the UK imported nearly 100,000 tonnes of Cheddar cheese from the EU in 2016.
If trade barriers prevent this type of situation and make the UK self-sufficient, I'm all in favour of such barriers.

There's very little EU produce I would miss. Bratwurst, German beer, German cars, Polish girls, can't think of anything else.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2525 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:32 pm
According to an article in the rag so beloved of Komrad Krystal, the UK imported nearly 100,000 tonnes of Cheddar cheese from the EU in 2016.
If trade barriers prevent this type of situation and make the UK self-sufficient, I'm all in favour of such barriers.

There's very little EU produce I would miss. Bratwurst, German beer, German cars, Polish girls, can't think of anything else.
Always preferred Cheshire / Lancshire / Red Leicester and Gloucester...and Brie,with bacon and mushrooms, myself.

However, if limiting cheese imports is dear to your heart, as seems to be the case, this minimalism aligns neatly with your other perceptions of the EU.....what about French cuisine / wines. German wines, the geological diversity of mainland Europe, several centuries of often turbulent history, the wealth of culture, to name but a few....oh, and Bockwurst / Curryurst / Senf and Frikadelles .....there again, it's probably equally the case Europe and the EU won't miss you either.

And now, how to ruin a perfect sunny day in the UK. Some, no doubt, will support this piece of putrescence ...."stalwart yeoman of England, good chap ! tells it like it is ! should be knighted !." ....in contrast to those of us, which is a considerable percentage of the population who feel a convicted racist, fraudster and alt. right member should be locked somewhere safe and secure.....for a very long time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-47335414

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2526 Post by Magnus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Clearly, we never drank French, Italian or German wines or cheeses, ate pasta, sausage, vegetables or tomatoes prior to the Maastricht treaty. How did we survive?

Any progress on understanding the content of the beeb link you posted, or is someone still explaining it to you?

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2527 Post by Magnus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:28 pm

Now cooking what might be my last ever pizza before 29 March. Buy ingredients from Valvona & Crolla, Established 1934. Oh, hang about, that was pre-Maastricht, so might not exist.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2528 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Actually the UK exports more pasta to Italy then it imports from the EU. So it will be the Italians who will starve to death while British will be forced to eat their way through a mountain of their own un-exportable spaghetti. Look out for the difference between an elephant and an Italian wife, occuring locally. (50lbs and a black dress.)

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2529 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:28 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:33 pm
Actually the UK exports more pasta to Italy then it imports from the EU. So it will be the Italians who will starve to death while British will be forced to eat their way through a mountain of their own un-exportable spaghetti.
Probably need to take chainsaws to the forests of spaghetti trees.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Slasher

#2530 Post by Slasher » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:38 am

Dunno about spaghetti but the wops can get all their pizzas imported from the original master chefs who migrated yonks ago to Hong Kong and Vancouver.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2531 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:31 am

Well, as we are on the subject of fine cuisine, all I can say, is, should supplies of "Hollands " ( producer, not EU country....... to save the minimal cognitive developers on here any confusion ) steak and kidney puddings, with chips and mushy peas (gravy optional ) a Manchester staple diet, be threatened as a result of Brexit, then I can assure you the basis for a revolution will have been founded !

Back to Treeza, currently about to take in some rays in Egypt.....and harmony.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... be-blocked

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2532 Post by Magnus » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:52 am

That staple of the British table, HP Sauce, has been produced in the Netherlands for the past few years. Just as well I prefer Hammonds on my bacon roll.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2533 Post by OFSO » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:12 pm

According to the Sunday Telegraph (which one doesn't read but eats one's cod and chips out of) City bankers are hedging against a sudden rise of sterling against Euro. Have the NRs offed Theresa May this morning ?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2534 Post by Woody » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:18 pm

Parliament to have a final vote on March 12th, nobody’s got a clue what they’re going to vote on, but definitely having one :((

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47348610
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2535 Post by OFSO » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:22 pm

I revert to my earlier suggestion. Every UK citizen should decide, on an individual basis, whether they want to be in the EU or not. Would simplify matters greatly and nobody would be justified in complaining.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2536 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Magnus wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:52 am
That staple of the British table, HP Sauce, has been produced in the Netherlands for the past few years. Just as well I prefer Hammonds on my bacon roll.
Would that be Dutch or Danish bacon?
😋

A little known fact but there are more Dutch pigs than Dutch men.
Dutch pigs produce so much manure that pig manure had A major export. Seeking more outlets they tried exporting to India but India produces more of its own ***** than it needs.

I bet you didn't want to know that.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2537 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:41 pm

OFSO wrote:67678 time=1551032571 user_id=54]
I revert to my earlier suggestion. Every UK citizen should decide, on an individual basis, whether they want to be in the EU or not. Would simplify matters greatly and nobody would be justified in complaining.
No.

Every UK citizen should determine, on an individual basis, whether they want to identify as a citizen of the EU or not.

On receipt of a brown envelope from HMRC they could self-identify as a citizen of the EU, probably Luxembourg.😁

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2538 Post by OFSO » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:55 pm

Not Luxembourg. Never stops raining.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2539 Post by Magnus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:11 am

If this farce leads to a Corbyn premiership, I'm moving to Venezuela.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2540 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 am

Lots of people are interested in ZA and have been asking about Brexit, even with all the help and advice on this site, the best answer that I can think of is this :ymdevil:

When all else fails, read the instructions.