Well it happened.

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Capetonian

Re: Well it happened.

#61 Post by Capetonian » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 pm

There were some postings earlier in this thread about Frida Boccara. I've been watching a Dutch TV channel called 192TV this evening which shows music videos from the 70s and 80s, all the classic stuff and some rarities too, including a couple of her tracks. Wonderful talented singer who died too young, aged just 56.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by Woody » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am

Well will this happen before or after his Airport, what a pr**k ~X(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42743909
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#63 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 am

I think he's doing a Michael O'Leary here, looking for the limelight. He's not so stupid as he would seem. Why the f... would anyone want be closer to the bloody frogs and their crap, and make it easier for the invaders to get over?

Anyway Boris Island seems to me like the best solution to the runway problem.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 am

As long as we use Boris for one of the supporting piers for the bridge I think it is an exellent idea...............

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:59 pm

The channel tunnel was the selected method of a France / UK link for many good reasons which rendered a bridge impossible - shipping, weather, idiot drivers and poorly-maintained vehicles. These reasons have not changed. Boris is nuts.

Finis.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Ibbie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:02 pm

The Maybot woman is mad as a hatter.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Disagree ! Mad Hatters usually have character. The May woman is as dim and devoid of character as a TOC H lamp.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by Ibbie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:17 am

I don't know why there is such a fuss about Sir Vince Cable's speach yesterday.

It is quite true about the way many older people voted in the Brexit Referendum.

Even some younger people, friends of my daughter voted to leave simply on the fact that at their children's junior school, there child was one of the few white faces and they wanted their children to have the same as in their school days.
Similarly I couldn't believe people of my age, voting to leave on the mistake that Britain would roll back to how it was in the 60/70s when out of the EU. Industry and manufacturing restored, strong and larger armed forces, nationalised railways, shipbuilding, gun boats up rivers etc.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by ian16th » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:26 pm

I see that the remaining EU Heads of Government are suggesting that the UK holds a second referendum.

Can someone, please enlighten them that the UK did just that on 23 June 2016.

The first referendum was held on 5 June 1975!
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#70 Post by Capetonian » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm

I am amazed that people think that leaving the EU will make a significant difference to the number of non-white 'refugees' in the country. It may enable the government to reduce immigration from the EU, but that is not the problem.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by OFSO » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 pm

The only segments of immigrants who will be affected by Brexit - if what is promised is actually implemented, and that might be asking a lot - are those tens (?) of thousands of documentless immigrants who landed in Germany, thanks to Saint Merkel were handed German IDs,and thus became EU Citizens. Noises being made by HMG suggest the UK will be more selective in filtering incoming EU travellers than non-EU travellers. Although frankly they could not do less...

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#72 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:24 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 pm
The only segments of immigrants who will be affected by Brexit - if what is promised is actually implemented, and that might be asking a lot - are those tens (?) of thousands of documentless immigrants who landed in Germany, thanks to Saint Merkel were handed German IDs,and thus became EU Citizens. Noises being made by HMG suggest the UK will be more selective in filtering incoming EU travellers than non-EU travellers. Although frankly they could not do less...
So OFSO, just how many of those immigrants do you understand to have received German IDs?

Genuine question.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by OFSO » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Personally I do not know. From my friends in Aachen and Pforzheim, an estimated 40% of immigrant families were granted full German ID. Incidentally since 1968 to my knowledge in Hessen, of persons arriving from eastblock countries claiming ethnicity with minimal proof, 100% were granted German nationality.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#74 Post by Jetex Jim » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:09 am

Below are the conditions of German citizenship. As stated by the BAMF. And in order to apply for citizenship one must first be granted asylum.
Conditions
You have a right to naturalisation if you fulfil the following conditions:

you have an unrestricted right of residence at the time of being naturalised,
you have passed the naturalisation test (knowledge of the legal and social system, as well as living conditions in Germany),
your habitual, lawful place of residence has been in Germany for eight years (this period can be reduced to seven years if you attend an integration course successfully, and can be reduced to as few as six years in the case of special integration measures),
you have independent means of securing a living (including for family members entitled to maintenance) without resorting to welfare payments and unemployment benefit II,
you have adequate German-language skills,
you do not have any convictions on account of a criminal offence,
you are committed to the free democratic constitutional order of the Basic Law of the Federal Republic of Germany, and
you have lost or given up your former nationality (exceptions apply with regard to this point, depending on the country of origin; please contact the naturalisation authority).
You'll notice that a minimum of 7 years residence is required after being granted asylum before citizenship will be granted.

I think the issuing of tens of thousands of German passports is rather fanciful.

I'd be very interested to see an authoritative link with some proper numbers.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 am

Absolutely. We all exist on rumours and word of mouth. Trouble is the Great German Welcome was done on such a massive scale and so quickly that on Landes level few records were kept. However: I had an American working for me who had been born in Darmstadt, left as a baby, returned to Germany and took German nationality then. Even she thought the tests she had to undergo were, in her case, ludicrously easy and she received her papers in three weeks, not years. Of course her parents were originally from Darmstadt and would have known people.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#76 Post by Jetex Jim » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:04 am

In order to get my citizenship I had to take the required language tests, prove my years of residency, ( of course I was registered to even be there as an EU citizen) take the civics test and prove income and the ability to support myself in retirement. It was anything but trivial.

Now I have an Ausweis and can apply for a Reisepasse when I want. As a citizen I can also vote. I voted last October.

The suggestion that few records were kept during the Great German Welcome is, to put it bluntly, BS.

In Germany citizenship cannot be awarded without records, loads of them.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 am

When my assistant did the test she was handed a copy of the Darmstädter Echo and asked to read one paragraph out loud from the editorial. That satisfied language, society, politics and history tests.

Seenenough

#78 Post by Seenenough » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 am

Jetex Jim wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:04 am
In order to get my citizenship I had to take the required language tests, prove my years of residency, ( of course I was registered to even be there as an EU citizen) take the civics test and prove income and the ability to support myself in retirement. It was anything but trivial.

Now I have an Ausweis and can apply for a Reisepasse when I want. As a citizen I can also vote. I voted last October.

The suggestion that few records were kept during the Great German Welcome is, to put it bluntly, BS.

In Germany citizenship cannot be awarded without records, loads of them.
Come on Chuksie,come out of the closet.You are and will always be American with dual Citizenship.There is nothing unique about you.

Whether or not you are a proudly born US Citizen is a separate debate.I happen to be be proudly SA born.

It all about '"whatism"as you describe.

I also will have to face the Citizenship Test in the US at some point and trust me the Attorneys here have made sure my loads of records are in place also , at the cost of a lot of Dollars I might add.

Debating here and on Flyafrica has actually taught me a lot about US civics-and best of all things being is that freedom of thought is free.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by BenThere » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Seenenough, the Citizen test is not much of an obstacle. Spend a few hours with the study booklet and you'll sail through it.

The swearing in ceremony, which I attended when my wife became a US citizen many years ago, is a heartwarming event for everyone in the room.

Seenenough

#80 Post by Seenenough » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:23 am

Ben-We look forward to the privledge of taking the test and we have heard from some that going before a Federal Judge to swear the oath is a very emotional and joyous event.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Father.