Black Lives Matter

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BackToAllNightLights
Capt
Capt
Black Lives Matter

#1 Post by BackToAllNightLights » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:07 am

Sure, but kind of a racist statement isn't it?
Should be "All Lives Matter".

However the American black community is feeling badly done to and slogans seem to be an easier way to go than addressing some core problems.
Guns, gangs, high prison population, generally dismal educational achievement, poor work ethic, high proportion of "baby daddies".

Yes, the cops have to be more, let's say - careful, but only the black community can fix the problems within that community that are contributing to this mess. If they showed more inclination to do just that, more assistance from the rest of the population would surly be forthcoming.
History does Not repeat itself through time. It does however, sometimes rhyme.

Capetonian

Re: Black Lives Matter

#2 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:15 am

In the same way, they can have : "Black music day", 'Black Pride Day" .......... etc, but if we were to have the equivalent for whites we'd be 'racist'.
As we all know, only whites can be racist.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:05 am

When Blacks hate Whites, it isn't racism, it's "reverse racism", apparently, according to Obama.
Guess reverse racism doesn't really count.
BLM, apparently,"We can’t dismiss as a symptom of political correctness or reverse racism."
Well, to quote yourself Mr Prez
"Yes We Can!"
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/07/ ... se-racism/

Alton Sterling was reported for threatening someone with a gun, was armed, resisting arrest, and made a move which would have enabled him to access his gun having been told specifically not to. Watch the video. I'd have shot him; and if you wouldn't, you'd probably be dead.

What is totally unacceptable is the rubbish that passes for journalism these days. Naff all research, blatant misuse of statistics, and no attempt to look for alternative explanations - and that goes for both sides of every argument. I have not been able to find a decent news source for 5 years now. I can live with biased, with interpretations and explanations which are dubious, but there is no longer any complete reporting of the correct basic facts. Whole events are ignored, or only partly reported, and even then a lot of the so-called facts are just plain wrong. And corrections only follow, rarely, when there's a threat of legal action. Shameless is the best word for the media these days, right or left.

And as for the President making a speech like that at a memorial event. Well, I can't see him being invited to the next one. Memorials have one purpose, the relief of grief for the bereaved, and that speech has done the exact opposite.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:29 am

And whilst we're at it

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/07/ ... attendees/

5 people shot at a memorial service for a rapper who had recently been shot dead. No suspects found in either case.
Have a guess at the race of everyone involved?

#BlackLivesDontMatterIfItsABlackDoingTheKilling

Baltimore's homicide stats.
http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/police/homicides/

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by 500N » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:19 am

The stats don't support the "Black lives matter" argument but I don't see that published much in the media.

And as someone else said, All lives matter.

Capetonian

#6 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 am

When it come to races, do facts and statistics matter?
It's all about emotion and playing the victim card.
Have you ever watched those 'fly on the wall' programmes filmed at Customs and Immigration in various countries?
Fellow gets stopped with obviously forged passport, or the sniffer dog goes into orbit as it smells cocaine, then they open his bag and find a kilo of cocaine concealed in a false lining........
"You is pickin' on me because I is black."

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by 500N » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:24 am

Capetonian wrote:When it come to race, do facts and statistics matter?

When they are saying more blacks than whites are killed, yes, because the facts are incorrect.

Agree re emotion / victim card.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Capetonian wrote:In the same way, they can have : "Black music day", 'Black Pride Day" .......... etc, but if we were to have the equivalent for whites we'd be 'racist'.
As we all know, only whites can be racist.

You forgot "Black History Month." (In the US anyway.) The uproar over a corresponding "White History Month" would be deafening.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:12 pm

500N wrote:The stats don't support the "Black lives matter" argument but I don't see that published much in the media.

And as someone else said, All lives matter.

Nice to see you here again, buddy. :-bd

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:14 pm

500N wrote:
Capetonian wrote:When it come to race, do facts and statistics matter?

When they are saying more blacks than whites are killed, yes, because the facts are incorrect.

Agree re emotion / victim card.

Because those same statistics prove, time and time again, that more White/Caucasian people are shot and killed by cops than blacks. But how often do you see white people demonstrating when this happens?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Major study by Harvard on NYPD interactions seems to show racial bias by Police against blacks, allowing for the situation, in every kind of interaction EXCEPT Shootings.

Use of mild force, such as pushing against a wall or handcuffing is typically 16% more likely.
Using of moderate responses such as pepper spray, batons or pointing a weapon is 25% more likely.
But Shootings are dependent solely on the threat, not the race.

The Harvard prof who authored the study is black. It included analysis of 1,332 Police shootings.

A more detailed analysis was done of the shootings in Houston, TX. It showed Blacks were 22% LESS likely to be shot, but the 95% confidence interval includes the No Bias 0%, so is not statistically significant (small sample size).

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upsho ... .html?_r=0

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by 500N » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 pm

This is just one article showing the real stats.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2 ... otings.php

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Says enough. 92% of the black homicides by gun are done by other blacks.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by 500N » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:46 pm

These 3 paragraphs just about sum up my linked article.

"What was the racial breakdown of those who were shot by police in 2015? The largest number, 494, almost exactly half, were white. 258 were black, 172 were Hispanic, and the remaining 66 were either “other” or unknown. (Interestingly, Asians are rarely shot by police officers.)

The 258 blacks represent 26% of the total. That is about double the percentage of blacks in the American population. Is that prima facie evidence of racism on the part of law enforcement? Of course not. It is common knowledge that blacks have an unusually high rate of contact with the police, both as victims and as perpetrators. In 2012-2013, the Department of Justice found that blacks were the perpetrators of 24% of all violent crimes where the race of the perpetrator was known (in 7.8% of violent crimes, it was unknown).

So the percentage of blacks fatally shot by police officers (26%) is almost exactly equal to the percentage of blacks committing violent crimes (24%) [to be clear, that is the percentage of violent crimes committed by blacks, as stated above, which is the relevant comparison]. Indeed, given that the black homicide rate is around eight times the white rate, it is surprising that the portion of blacks fatally shot by policemen is not higher."

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:48 pm

It would take cops 40 years to kill as many black men as have died at the hands of others black men in the year 2012 alone.

University of Toledo criminologist Dr. Richard R. Johnson examined the latest crime data from the FBI’s Supplementary Homicide Reports and Centers for Disease Control and found that an average of 4,472 black men were killed by other black men annually between Jan. 1, 2009, and Dec. 31, 2012. Professor Johnson’s research further concluded that 112 black men died from both justified and unjustified police-involved killings annually during this same period.

So where does "Black Lives Matter" stand on this, and other, statistics? The sound and uproar is..... silence.
Basically, BLM accepts black men killing other black men as the status quo and just fine and honky-dory. However, if a white man kills a black man well then, the demonstrations and riots kick into overdrive. How do you spell, h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?

BackToAllNightLights
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by BackToAllNightLights » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:17 pm

News out of Baton Rouge indicates 3 police officers shot dead by three suspects in black camouflage at a convenience store. 1 suspect dead, two on the run. no descriptions of the perps so far.

Meanwhile Black Lives Matter Vancouver organizers have asked the Vancouver Police to withdraw their float from the Pride Parade in a sign of solidarity. They say it is insulting. A sign of exclusion, intolerance and small thinking from BLMVancouver.
History does Not repeat itself through time. It does however, sometimes rhyme.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 am

OK, US Police Forces: this is your chance to please everyone. Stop patrolling black urban areas in the big cities. Then you won't get shot and the black population will have what they want: freedom from police oppression.

Six months should do it, I reckon.

Capetonian

#18 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 am

I'm tempted to say that that's probably the most sage piece of wisdom and advice that I have read on any forum anywhere for a long time.
Of course admitting this makes me 'racist', well, I'd like you to see the T shirt I'm wearing.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Tall Bird » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:49 am

What about the rights of the gay officers in the VPD? The BLM halted the Pride Parade in Toronto and presented the organisers with a list of demands including the removal of police floats in future. The organisers gave in but later said they did so in order to get the parade moving again. :D No demands will be implemented without further consultation.

A BBC reporter interviewed two Dallas BLM reps. The two claimed the police were already at war with blacks. Any talk of the police having a difficult job protecting citizens was met with 'yea, that's the rhetoric they use.' The reporter tried to discuss black on black crime but that topic was blanked with 'that's not a primary issue.'

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 am

at the risk of repeating myself...

#BlackLivesDontMatterIfItsABlackDoingTheKilling

OFSO - that's what's partially happening in Baltimore. The Police have stopped being pro-active, and the murder rate is up by 50%, and it's almost all black-on-black. And it's been going on for over a year. So, six months isn't going to do it. With complete Police withdrawal, what happens is that gangs take over completely and start running their own security, which is generally better than rival gangs+cops. The homicide rate would probably drop in the medium term. It's just a small dictatorship, so a lowish death rate, but of course zero justice or liberty..

I looked in detail at the Baltimore records. The pattern of 40 black-on-black killing for every cop-on-black killing was what I found there also. I looked through the circumstances of each killing that I could find (which was most of them). There were about 10% where the Cops' actions were questionable, of which about a quarter of those were definitely negligent behaviour by the cops and probably killings (my assessment, about half were actually judged as such)). So, roughly 400 black-on-black murders for every cop-on-black murder in the worst case (assuming all the questionables were Police murders ).

Looking through the US Police killings list at the Guardian, At least 50% recently involved the victim firing first, and most of the rest involved a weapon which the victim disobeyed clear, repeated orders to drop.
Looking through the murders of US Police, many involve a very rapid escalation from an initially typically harmless encounter.
My conclusion is that the Police are obliged to treat every single encounter with the public as potentially lethal, and are in fact remarkably justified in almost all their shootings, even at considerable risk to themselves.