Congrats to Lancashire

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Congrats to Lancashire

#1 Post by BenThere » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:45 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-37567866

You rejected the anti-job, anti-economy, anti-energy independence Left and authorized the large scale energy production horizontal drilling and fracking offers.

Those Luddites who oppose responsible energy development need to be sent off into the woods. They damn near killed nuclear power, along with hydro the cleanest energy sources ever developed. And then they got behind the coal-fired Prius, the bird killing windmill, and the bird frying solar array. And don't forget the sorrow sown by dooming millions with the banning of DDT. I think some eco-warriors are well-meaning, but their movement has proven to be a plague on humanity.

Lone Ranger
Snr FO
Snr FO

Re: Congrats to Lancashire

#2 Post by Lone Ranger » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Oh Blimey

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:22 pm

This thread title is heresy.

I say this with all the self righteousness that being a 6th generation Yorkshireman, I can muster.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Quite agree, my son is an eco warrior. Happy to drive my diesel VW though, despite the 'pollution scandal.'

I'm not a great proponent of nuclear, I appreciate that it's clean and non-polluting but the result when something goes wrong is catastrophic and the potential for disaster is scary.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by BenThere » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:30 pm

But history has shown that nuclear casualties have been minuscule, while those of coal and offshore drilling, particularly when you take account of China and third world endeavors, and have been significantly costly, and you must conclude that nuclear energy is essentiallly benign, productive, and cost=effective if the eco-warriors could be contained.

More Aviation

#6 Post by More Aviation » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade again Ben (honestly I don't mean to pick on you) but let's get some facts straight. Lancashire has not chosen to allow fracking. Indeed the local area where the fracking is mooted has been resolutely against the idea and the local council voted against the proposal but central government has overruled local democracy and no doubt the issue will end up in the courts. Now if this is not an example of heavy handed meddling and overreach by central government then my name is Clifford Bundy and you are about to vote for Hillary Clinton!

MA

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by BenThere » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Lancashire has not chosen to allow fracking.

Oh. So sorry. Our news resources are spotty and admittedly unreliable as regards the UK. I was hopeful Lancashire had chosen a wise energy policy but if they haven't I lament with them.