The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#8541 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:32 pm

BM:
I'm still here and cringing as we await the results.
The rise and potential takeover by The Cult of Trump (formerly known as the Republican Party) is sickening.
Their leader (Idol) has been exposed as a criminal, a fraud, a dishonest and corrupt politician, a liar, and many other unsavory things. Their slavish devotion to him is appalling and the depths that they are sinking to is revolting.
At least, worrying about this helps distract me from thoughts about rising prices, other crime, racial tensions. etc.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8542 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:59 pm

I didn't see the point in saying much up to this point, although if the House switches sides, they're going to spend the next two years trying to impeach people for revenge rather than trying to run the country. Probably because they've been happy to pan the current government but have carefully neglected to put forward any viable alternatives.

At this point I see the key issue as trying to make sure I have a meaningful vote in a couple of years, most other stuff can be fixed, but given the way various parts of the country want to clamp down on who can vote and reserve the right to throw it all out if they don't like the result, that's way more important than current prices (which I don't blame on the government, that's corporations raking in profits).

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8543 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm

PHX, many thanks for your response as I feared the Royal Navy had cut the wrong undersea cable whilst practising for gas pipelines in the Baltic!

Alas over here in Blighty we'll be asleep shivering under the extra dog atop of the duvet when the first results are announced but I hope you get for what you wished and have been careful in that choice?

Please open up the 2024 bunfight to more capable, less financially endowed but maybe more intellectually equipped hominids. :((

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8544 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:00 am

Looks like the orange one is using the Gavin Williamson approach :-o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63563862
When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8545 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:00 pm

Republican finger-pointing begins as control of Congress still in the air
Some Republicans blamed former President Donald Trump for endorsing poor candidates.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-e ... -rcna56366

As the political world settled in for a long wait to know who will control Congress, Republicans began finger-pointing about whether former President Donald Trump was to blame for their lackluster election night.

Republicans could still take control of both the House and Senate, but their predictions of a massive red wave sweeping the country fell short as some major Trump-backed candidates like Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania were defeated while key races in Arizona, and Nevada were still too close to call on Wednesday.

The Georgia Senate race is headed to a December runoff, NBC News projects, making it increasingly likely control of the upper chamber won't be decided until then.

"Now that it’s obvious the @gop should expel the Trump family from its future lexicon," Trump critic and Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger tweeted Wednesday morning.

Georgia’s Republican Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan told CNN that the rejection of so many of Trump's candidates shows that “this is a time that Donald Trump is no doubt in the rearview mirror, and it’s time to move on with the party, it’s time to move on with candidate quality.”

"I think it sends a message to the country, along with some other states, that this is truly a pivot point for the Republican party," he said.

Duncan made the comments after his state's Republican governor and secretary of state — who Trump had campaigned against during the primary for not backing his bid to overturn election results in 2020 - both won re-election by comfortable margins. Trump's handpicked Senate candidate Herschel Walker, meanwhile, was trailing incumbent Sen. Raphael Warnock in a race that is now headed for a Dec. 6 runoff.

But NBC News projects Duncan, who did not seek re-election, is being succeeded by Burt Jones, a Trump-endorsed state senator who acted as a fake elector in Georgia after the 2020 election.

Other Trump-picked candidates had big nights as well, including author J.D. Vance, who defeated Democrat Tim Ryan in the Ohio Senate race Tuesday night.

Trump hosted an election night party at his Mar-a-Lago estate that was expected to be an opportunity for him to take credit for many of his endorsed candidates scoring big victories. Instead, Trump gave a very short, lackluster speech and then quietly watched the returns while eating dinner with a small group of close aides.

In an interview with NewsNation on Tuesday, Trump said he was only responsible for the party's successes, not its failures.

"I think if they win I should get all the credit, and If they lose, I should not be blamed at all, ok? :-o But it will probably be just the opposite. When they win … I’ll probably be given very little credit, even though in many cases I told people to run and they ran and they turned out to very good candidates," he said.

"If they do badly they’ll blame everything on me.” [-X ~X( :(( :ymdevil:

On social media, Trump maintained the election had been a huge success for him.

“174 wins and 9 losses, A GREAT EVENING, and the Fake News Media, together with their partner in crime, the Democrats, are doing everything possible to play it down. Amazing job by some really fantastic candidates!” he wrote on Truth Social.

While several Republican candidates who denied or questioned the results of the 2020 election lost their races for positions that oversee, defend and certify elections in battleground states, one key Trump ally managed to hold on to his job Wednesday — NBC News projects Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., defeated Democrat Mandela Barnes in a close race.

Another Trump ally, Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Col., was trailing Democrat Adam Frisch by a small margin Wednesday morning.

A top Democratic congressman was ousted as well. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, the chairman of the House Democrats’ campaign arm, conceded defeat to state Assemblyman Mike Lawler in New York.

Will Hurd, a former Republican congressman from Texas, tweeted of the election results, "It’s the candidates, stupid."

"Americans have made it clear that candidates matter. Character matters. The way we treat those with whom we disagree matters," Hurd wrote.

"We need strong leaders with integrity that can tackle the challenges of the future and lift people up. We have some that won big last night, but we need a helluva lot more if we want to win moving forward."

Former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton credited the her party's success in fending off a red wave to women who were motivated by the U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of the Roe v. Wade ruling that protected abortion rights nationwide.

“It turns out women enjoy having human rights, and we vote,” she tweeted Wednesday morning.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8546 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:01 pm

I see Tony DeLuca was re-elected as a State Representative for Pennsylvania, despite the minor handicap of dying a month ago.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8547 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:20 pm

He would still be better than the majority of politicians.
Also, he wouldn't lie; lips not moving. :ymdevil:

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8548 Post by llondel » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:15 pm

I remember a poster from many years ago of a cat and the caption "What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility". Sums up a few prominent politicians quite well.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8549 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:28 pm

Sums up the entire civil service, everywhere.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8550 Post by barkingmad » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:23 pm

Warning: this article contains references to the “C” word and is liable to offend those many in O-N who have a delicate disposition;

https://unherd.com/thepost/the-u-s-midt ... -election/

I wonder if the so-called ‘leaders’ in EUrope and elsewhere will see this as a warning and begin to engage reverse-ferret gear and come out with all the usual pathetic excuses (emergency blah blah) as their own elections loom uncomfortably close in the rear-view mirror.

That’s assuming any of the 21st Century crop of TPTB are checking their rear quarters and actually know any history or are prepared to learn from it... :-\

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8551 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:43 am

An article in today's South Australian paper asked, '....isn't it about time Trump was told, "You're fired!" ' :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8552 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:21 am

He went on to complain that Mr DeSantis - whom he is nicknaming "Ron DeSanctimonious" - was "playing games" by refusing to rule out a presidential bid.
"Well, in terms of loyalty and class, that's really not the right answer," Mr Trump added.
The former president is widely expected to announce his own plan for a White House comeback as soon as next week
From this side of the pond, that seems a touch sanctimonious from The Donald!
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8553 Post by llondel » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:30 am

It appears that the Democrats have retained control of the Senate. If they manage to win the Georgia run-off, the VP might not have to stick around to break ties.

My general prediction for the next couple of years is that the GOP-controlled House will keep trying to impeach various people, and will probably try to do it to Biden three times just so it's one more than Trump, and they'll all get laughed out of the Senate. Apart from that, no legislation of note will get passed.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8554 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:25 am

It's not as if any of them can fix the economic mess their covid madness created anyway.
Nor can any of my lot.
Inflation will continue until the recession takes over!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8555 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:19 am

Well, this should be fun.

The US has been invaded!

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has invoked the Invasion clauses in both State and Federal Constitutions to take action over the migrants crossing the border.

Check your popcorn stocks and reach for a beer. This should be very entertaining.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8556 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:36 am

Good to see aviation taking its part in mocking Trump in his own Mar-a-Lago backyard in Florida, over his announcement that he intends to run for President again.

TrumpDeSantis.JPG
Trump mocked as pro-DeSantis banner flown over Mar-a-Lago

Donald Trump was mocked as a pro-Ron DeSantis banner reading “You lost again Donald!” was flown over Mar-a-Lago ahead of his expected presidential campaign announcement.

The banner also carried a “#DESANTIS2024” hashtag and circled over the former president’s Florida home on Tuesday afternoon.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8557 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:11 pm

I didn't see any actual video from Trump's announcement but the media did report that his 30 minute scripted speech turned into a one hour ramble. It was also reported that people who tried to leave before the ramble ended were stopped by security from leaving the venue. [-X

NY Post's front page (See bottom of page) =))
Article on page 26. =))
https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/s ... &strip=all
https://nypost.com/cover/november-16-2022/
NY Post's Headline Writer wins the internet for today. :YMAPPLAUSE: ^:)^

PP

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8558 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:00 am

Ooops, has Sleepy Joe seen and grasped an opportunity to make him look better in the eyes of the peasants as the ‘24 election looms large?

And might this mean he might throw the hero Dr Fauci under the bus in order to bolster his own popularity, if that is measurable;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... igins.html

But at least it displaces the attention from UNC Chapel Hill and Peter Daszak and back across the pond to the land of bats shagging pangolins in or near wet markets... =))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8559 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:27 am

If it turns out that Fauci deserves to be under a bus then so be it. Al Franken jumped under a bus when something less than savoury tripped him up. Meanwhile, I see plenty of bus avoidance from many other worthy subjects who are crying about political persecution when it's more a case of applying the law equally to all.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8560 Post by barkingmad » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:46 am

I'm sure I detected some vibrations through my armchair recently re seismic events in the USA on the topic of the Hamster Wheel.

I like Sky Oz as they appear to talk about the topics and in a way which the MSM in the Northern hemisphere tend to avoid, so here's something to kick off the discussion in the correct thread;

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/outs ... d620dc3164

What are the chances that this soap opera will backfire against those nice Democrats who've never done anything so immoral and outrageous as has the Orange man.

And there are a lot of licensed and unlicensed weapons at large in the continent which bodes ill for a population who feel they've been conned bigtime! X(