The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#4721 Post by Alisoncc » Tue May 07, 2019 2:30 am

You to can get one of these if you let Trump win.

woods.jpg
woods.jpg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 727 times

Meanwhile Trump's personal lawyer has started his three year prison term. That's what happens if you don't let him win.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Seenenough

#4722 Post by Seenenough » Tue May 07, 2019 3:01 am

Give it up Alison-Tiger has to only win one more tournament to match the best of all time.

I was fortunate to be there watching Tiger win again.

I could not stop my tears.

If you understand the game of Golf you will comprehend that Tiger Woods is the only player in the history of the game to have had all four major trophies on his mantelpiece at the same time.One can never say never but it is a historic sporting feat that will take some matching which I suspect we will not see happen again in our lifetimes.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4723 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue May 07, 2019 10:54 am

...Suspect Alison is very familiar with the game of Golf Seenenough....though rather certain she doesn't cry about it....:)
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4724 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue May 07, 2019 11:26 am

Except it's not accurate, Boac.

I used to regularly read the New York Times back when it was the 'newspaper of record', much like The Australian, which is better written and edited, and offers in-depth journalistic assessments of current issues.

I could debate that The Australian is at minimum one of the five best newspapers in the world. The New York Times was there once, but it fell prey to politicizing, becoming a tool of the Democrat party. It sold its credibility on the alter of taking an advocate rather than journalist path over 40 years ago. It's a shell of its former self.

That is an extraodinary statement to make Ben There.....30 odd years ago I used to read the Australian and was accused of being a 'Communist'! Last Saturday Mrs FLiegs wanted me to take her to the Pub for lunch...so I bought the Australian on the way to sit in the lounge and peruse whilst sipping beers and awaiting lunch..My God!!! What a paper it is today!!...FULL of far right commentators (Bolt, Albrechtson, Shanahan et all) posting opinion as though they're writing news items, incredible!...but I suppose if you "read what you want to hear", reading what you believe to be correct, you're going to like it eh?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4725 Post by BenThere » Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Maybe it boils down to what you label 'For Right' I regard as common sense. I agree the editorial and op-ed pages should be sequestered from news reporting. The best news reporting is when you can't determine the political slant of the reporter from reading the article - you just get facts. That seems to be quite a high bar for most of today's journalists.

Perhaps I like the Australian newspaper partially for it's center-right disposition, but I like it also because it's comprehensive, and well-written and edited.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4726 Post by Woody » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Another stunning success story in US Military History

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48134881
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4727 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu May 09, 2019 10:47 am

Don't know what that is Woody....surely many other militaries make mistakes as well....but it seems curious that the US should do so, and with seeming regularity...

Ah, anyway, as I say don't know....who coined the term 'collateral damage'?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4728 Post by Boac » Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm

How far do we think the chump will let KJU go now his bluff has been called?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4729 Post by llondel » Thu May 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm
Another stunning success story in US Military History

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48134881
That's one of those where there is doubt about whether it was genuine incompetence or merely a way to send a warning with a plausible reason as to why it was an embarrassing cock-up. The US does appear to have more such apparent cock-ups than most nations though.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#4730 Post by Stoneboat » Fri May 10, 2019 1:12 am

That's one of those where there is doubt about whether it was genuine incompetence or merely a way to send a warning with a plausible reason as to why it was an embarrassing cock-up.
Bill Clinton was C in C, so I'm guessing the former. :D

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4731 Post by Boac » Fri May 10, 2019 6:36 pm

I see the chump is bragging again that the new Tariffs on China will bring in shed-loads of money to the US. I am still waiting for one of the self-avowed financial expert chumpers on here to explain how that will work and when they do, explain it to the chump - Ben? There has been an ominous silence since I asked a month or two ago :)) I think we can assume they (and he) don't know!!

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4732 Post by BenThere » Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Heretofore, President Trump's strategies have played out well, like the tax cuts, EPA deregulation, handling of the Mueller report, nudging of NATO to fork up support for itself, and others.

If you look back and review with an unjaundiced eye, he's been two steps ahead of everyone else since he announced his candidacy for president. That gives me confidence that he has also thought through his strategies for Iran, China and N. Korea. He knows the pressure he applies is appropriate to achieve his objectives.

His major objective, from the beginning, was to 'Build That Wall'. The consensus has been building in favor of that policy stance as control of the US Southern border has been lost. He was right all along.

So far, America is in better shape than it has been for some time. The economy is strong, prosperity abounds, we're not involved in major war/conflicts, and we have a fighter at the helm. I'm liking it.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4733 Post by llondel » Sat May 11, 2019 4:09 am

BenThere wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 pm
Heretofore, President Trump's strategies have played out well, like the tax cuts, EPA deregulation, handling of the Mueller report, nudging of NATO to fork up support for itself, and others.
Seriously? Handling of the Mueller report has been botched from the start. If it completely exonerated him then why didn't he parade all 400+ pages of it to show his innocence? And why, if not guilty, did he try to get his ex-counsel to write a letter stating that he didn't obstruct justice?

Tax cuts haven't been that great a success, I think many of us discovered that they were negative cuts, especially in states that didn't vote for him. EPA de-regulation will backfire at some point. The Flint water supply issues are a warning as to what else may happen when toxic crap is allowed into the ecosystem.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4734 Post by Boac » Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 am

..and still Ben doesn't understand economics!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4735 Post by Boac » Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Come on, Ben - this is what your idol says:
"Tariffs are NOW being paid to the United States by China of 25% on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods & products. These massive payments go directly to the Treasury of the U.S....."

That's my emphasis, Ben, in case you are further confused. I do need to know - is the world wrong and the chump right? Is he talking out of his orange arse?

This was one response from an American observer on the chump's twitter feed:
"*****. As always, you have ZERO idea what you’re talking about...and you LIE. “China” doesn’t pay tariffs. Consumers pay tariffs. US consumers are the ones who are ultimately going to be paying. You’re hurting your base and your economy..."

Are there no people here with a knowledge of how tariffs work? The truth is, I would have thought, fairly crucial to the economy of the US?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4736 Post by BenThere » Sat May 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Perhaps ironically I have a bachelors degree in Economics. My masters degree, was Management but with emphasis on Economics. Economics is a subject I always liked, and think I have a pretty good feel for.

In that light, what qualifies you to call me ignorant in the discussion of Economics?

So far the impact of Trump-imposed tariffs has been generally positive, the negative impacts experts projected to impact the US economy not materializing.

So who pays tariffs? Hopefully American workers will once again make some of the stuff China sends to us, earning wages, generating profits, etc. My feeling that if China goes toe to toe with its biggest market, led by a lion like President Trump, China will regret it.

Also, American manufacturers, who once sent every productive resource they could to China, are now sending their investments back home. Detroit actually now has a shortage of industrial sites available, after 30 years of their abandonment. We're starting to make things for the world again and it will continue at least two more years until the next election.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4737 Post by Boac » Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Well, flash my degree! (hopefully not at the Chump university...)

what qualifies you to call me ignorant in the discussion of Economics?
- basically that you have been unable or unwilling to answer a very simple economics question. You got dangerously close, however
So who pays tariffs?
- but it was a premature ejaculation, I fear. Let's try again. What is m'lud's learned opinion on

"Tariffs are NOW being paid to the United States by China of 25% on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods & products. These massive payments go directly to the Treasury of the U.S....."

Is it *****? Be good to hear your qualified opinion.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4738 Post by John Hill » Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 pm

I should begin by revealing that I do not have a degree in economics but I do see some contradictions in our modern Trumpic world.

For example, tariffs tend to reduce imports by making those who import pay a penalty to their government whereas sanctions also tend to reduce imports but by different means.

Apparently tariffs are good for a country but sanctions are bad.

I am confident those educated in economics will explain this to me.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

nomorecatering
FO
FO

#4739 Post by nomorecatering » Sat May 11, 2019 10:43 pm

It used to be that Ben had a degree in finance, now it's in economics. Either way, Trump still has no clue when it comes to tariffs, it seems Ben has to pretend he has neither.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4740 Post by llondel » Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 am

It's protectionism. Your own people can't compete, often because their costs are much higher, possibly due to higher wages, more regulations, subsidies for the other lot, etc. You impose tariffs on the other lot to make their effective price the same as what your locals can produce the same stuff. Ultimately that's self-defeating because the locals will need to be paid more in order to buy the more expensive goods, which will make the local stuff even more expensive.

The EU has this down to a fine art to protect its indigenous industries, to cross briefly with the Brexit thread, if the UK, on leaving the EU, chose to have low tariffs on a lot of foodstuffs then food prices would potentially go down, and the UK would be buying a lot of non-EU foodstuffs.