The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#7221 Post by FD2 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:28 pm

Elon Musk - brilliant but 'sensitive' soul. He was the one who accused one of the Thailand cave rescuers of being a paedophile when the chap dared to point out that Musk's 'torpedo' rescue capsule would not fit through the cave system. When the 'pedo guy' tried to sue him in California(? where the Tesla factory is :-o ) the case was dismissed out of hand, rather like the FBI case against a very, very rich but real paedophile with chums in very high places called Jeffery Epstein, was initially dropped when the big dogs began to get worried. The great god called money talks, apparently. :ymsick:

He's very similar to another 'sensitive' one who doesn't like being contradicted or having his stupid Twatter twits dissected , but at least Musk has a functioning brain. 8-}

Of course the American defenders on this thread will, rightly, condemn the looters who, like the scum in the London riots take advantage of the situation to upgrade to the latest TVs and computers, but it seems to me that ordinary people in the States are finally fed up an inbuilt racially biased system which sees black people being killed by the 'law' with impunity. They are probably also fed up with their demos being taken over by rioters but rather like the Tsars in the early 20th century the 'proles' will only take so much inequality before revolting. I'm not usually completely in agreement with Grauniad pieces but I think this one sums up the situation 100%. :YMAPPLAUSE:

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7222 Post by FD2 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:32 pm

Remember 'defenders' - deflect the narrative away from the condoned murders of black people to the rioters, or anything else, rather than address the core issue.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7223 Post by Undried Plum » Sun May 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Musk does sometimes say some *****. Sadly.

Nevertheless, he does make some **** brilliant cars. I've got one.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7224 Post by Undried Plum » Sun May 31, 2020 8:38 pm

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7225 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:53 am

I guess this is not the first time the Chump has been in a bunker?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7226 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:27 am

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7227 Post by llondel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:56 pm

nomorecatering wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:06 pm
There is virtually nothing true in BenThere's last post. It does however perpetuate the right wing narrative that there is massive voter fraud in the United States and that it is at the behest and to the benefit of the Democratic Party. They offer no proof and neither does BenThere. The current chronically aggrieved racist POS occupying the White House even disbanded his own commission on voter fraud without it producing any systemic evidence of fraud.

If there is a problem with voting in the United States it is because of gerrymandering and voter suppression. The GOP knows they have an ever decreasing base and they are doing they best to disenfranchise everyone else.
I had a bit of a poke around and there's a site (heritage.org) that documents this sort of stuff. I make no claim as to the bias of the site one way or another, but it had 1285 cases on record. About 200 of those were related to absentee ballots, the biggest category seems to be ineligible voting, around 270. False registrations came in at around 200, which were presumably those who would have been in the ineligible category had they not been caught first. About 120 in the "Duplicate voting" category, usually voting in two states. So yes it does happen, but it's not the worst type of fraud and when you consider how many votes have been cast in the past 20 years, it's all at a very low incidence.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#7228 Post by Dushan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm

And yet in 2000 the election was decided by 550 votes, so 1285 can make a huge difference.

And this was at the time when absentee ballots were considered an exception. If you, suddenly, make every ballot a mail-in ballot the numbers will skyrocket.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7229 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Great to see that magnificent 'president', C-in-C - in name only, hiding in a blacked out White House and Twatting. At least in the bunker he can carry on playing golf (fiddle while the US burns?) and try to 'drive' his way out of this, controlling 'the jerks'.

This is what you have produced, guys. Well done. I will be amazed if the USA recovers from this disaster. Don't say you were not 'warned'.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7230 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:32 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm
This is what you have produced, guys. Well done. I will be amazed if the USA recovers from this disaster. Don't say you were not 'warned'.
You have to consider what the alternative would have been.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7231 Post by llondel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Dushan wrote:
And yet in 2000 the election was decided by 550 votes, so 1285 can make a huge difference.

And this was at the time when absentee ballots were considered an exception. If you, suddenly, make every ballot a mail-in ballot the numbers will skyrocket.
That's 1285 in the past 20 years and is for all forms of electoral fraud (including altering the count, and ballot measure fraud), so the average number per election is a lot lower, and the number of absentee ballot frauds is about 200 across that time frame, so 20 incidents per election. You'd probably manage to reduce the other dubious practices because if you're checking eligibility of each one as it arrives, they'll be filtered out, so the overall rate could well decrease.

ETA: I just looked it up, Oregon was exclusively vote by mail in 2000,thanks to a ballot measure in 1998, so it wasn't an exception there.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7232 Post by John Hill » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:27 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:32 pm
Boac wrote:
I don't know what the alternative would have been so maybe you can educate me?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7233 Post by boing » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:53 pm

Fraud happens. In the last election a self appointed monitoring group took video of the same bus load of people voting at two different locations. I will see if I can find it.

They were very careful to take video that showed it was the same bus and the same passengers.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7234 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:58 pm

John Hill wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:27 pm
G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:32 pm
Boac wrote:
I don't know what the alternative would have been so maybe you can educate me?
Hilary Clinton - with or without her husband pulling the strings?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7235 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:09 pm

Would it have been worse? The unanswerable question.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7236 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:21 pm

Good to see there are some decent people in the Facebook business.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7237 Post by John Hill » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:25 pm

Yea, just what is the big, bad, deal with Hillary? Please tell me all the truth about Hillary..

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7238 Post by boing » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:29 pm

More than 50 percent of Americans say they have a negative opinion of Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton. Keith Srakocic/AP

Hillary Clinton's speaking fees have been the subject of much political debate.

After she resigned as secretary of state, Clinton joined the speaking circuit, raking in millions for paid speeches at about $200,000 a pop.

An investigation from the Associated Press ties those fees to government influence. Of the nearly $22 million Clinton made in fees, most was from groups that had recently lobbied the government.

AP

What's more, the investigation revealed that many of the groups had federal contracts or lobbied the Clinton State Department. Some even had direct contact with Clinton or her top aides while she was secretary of state.

See all the fees the AP discovered in the graphic below:
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/20 ... aking-fees

Perhaps she just likes people.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Seenenough

#7239 Post by Seenenough » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:29 am

"I will be amazed if the USA recovers from this disaster"

Many have felt the same before and have been wrong.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7240 Post by John Hill » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:12 am

Maybe tomorrow someone will be able to tell me what is so wrong with Hillary.