The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#6481 Post by barkingmad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 am

On reading CPTN’s post # 6477 and then going on to peruse this snippet referred to in Woody’s BBC reference in post # 6478, I feel compelled to ask whether the upper reaches of the US Administration and the nation in general have been tested for symptoms of fever;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52012049

Are we soon going to see the heavily-armed US public out shooting at suspected airborne Covid-19 droplets or are they discreetly preparing for the ultimate breakdown of law & order when the pan(dem)ic really takes hold?

Whatever the reason I’m relieved there’s a stretch of water separating them from me but I suspect the ‘Canajuns’ are feeling somewhat nervous about their southern neighbours. There has been a long-term suspicion about the military intentions of the US when the chips are down when water and oil and other resources are running scarce south of the 49th parallel.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6482 Post by brickhistory » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:03 pm

Living in the #1 oil producer in the world and blessed with an abundance of fresh water, I fail to see your point.

Your formerly green and pleasant land has suffered through the generations of being at the end of a very vulnerable supply chain. I seem to remember reading about a couple of those where our manufacturing prowess, not to mention blood and treasure, were required to keep the food coming in.

But do carry on...
What's his plan? A Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan.

Seenenough

#6483 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:20 pm

"But do carry on..."

Brick -I susect they will carry on .A few of us have reminded those living in the Great Empire that what is left of the Empire only remains largely as a result of the people and the production power of the USA but as usual it is one of those uncomfortable and undeniable facts the they ignore and pretend does not exist.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6484 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:31 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:20 pm
"But do carry on..."

Brick -I suspect they will carry on .A few of us have reminded those living in the Great British Empire that what is left of the Empire only remains largely as a result of their own people and the current production power of the USA China but as usual it is one of those uncomfortable and undeniable facts that they, and the USA also, ignore and pretend does not exist.
There fixed that for you.

The war was a long time ago now folks. Using your own befuddled logic, perhaps, you should be thanking Britain for setting up a colony for you midst the savages there in North America, all those years ago.

Thank us for fire, the wheel and teaching you to wear underpants while you are about it.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6485 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:11 pm

Granted a spelling error or two but none the less their fact altering response is always very predictable, Brick.

Seenenough

#6486 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:24 pm

The Allied casualties figures for D-Day have generally been estimated at 10,000, including 2,500 dead. Broken down by nationality, the usual D-Day casualty figures are approximately 2,700 British, 946 Canadians, and 6,603 Americans.Jun 6, 2016.-as reported.

The forces were landed in majority by US manufactured Higgins Boats.

Just a bit of trivia.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6487 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:38 pm

You underestimate US deaths on D-Day.

I post this video as it is superb and gives a very good view of the statistics covering all nations in WW2. Not meant as a specious response to anything here but out of respect for all that fell, even the enemy.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6488 Post by ian16th » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:24 pm
The Allied casualties figures for D-Day have generally been estimated at 10,000, including 2,500 dead. Broken down by nationality, the usual D-Day casualty figures are approximately 2,700 British, 946 Canadians, and 6,603 Americans.Jun 6, 2016.-as reported.

Just a bit of trivia.
What are we to read into your numbers?

It could be said that seeing as the US only supplied about 40% of the troops going ashore on D-Day they did a very bad job of it!
Yes, the landing craft were built in Noo Orleans, but the US built 0% of the Mulberry Harbours and made a mess of tying down the one they did use.

I respectfully suggest that you read and digest a copy of 'Crusade In Europe by Dwight D Eisenhower', he was slightly involved in the planning and execution of events.
Cynicism improves with age

Seenenough

#6489 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Financial Cost of World War II
1 U.S. $341 billion
2 Germany $272 billion
3 Soviet Union $192 billion
4 Britain $120 billion
5 Italy $94 billion
6 Japan $56 billion
Total $1.075 trillion in 1945

Gob ,these numbers would indicate that Britain would likely not have survived on her own.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6490 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 pm
1 U.S. $341 billion
2 Germany $272 billion
4 Britain $120 billion
5 Italy $94 billion
6 Japan $56 billion

Gob ,these numbers would indicate that Britain would likely not have survived on her own.
Would be interesting to engage on those numbers but am on conference call discussing this at the moment... will revert.

currently.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6491 Post by ian16th » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Seenenough wrote:
1 U.S. $341 billion
2 Germany $272 billion
4 Britain $120 billion
5 Italy $94 billion
6 Japan $56 billion

Do you have any numbers of how much of what the UK spent in WWII, ended up in the pockets of US companies? Such as North American for P-51's?
Do you have any numbers of how much of what the Germany spent in WWII, ended up in the pockets of US companies? Such as General Motors for Opel trucks?

Do I have to go on?

The debit column on its own is meaningless. It has to be put in context.

Seenenough

#6492 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Ian -The Numbers are given as costs not debt and clearly the UK could never have continued the war financially against the Germans if the US had not stepped in both with Armed Forces and loads of money and equipment.

Have you ever wondered where Stalin would have stopped advancing if there were no well equiped and funded Allied Forces that were present on the Western lines when Germany finally collapsed?

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6493 Post by brickhistory » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:47 pm

ian16th wrote:
Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:24 pm

Just a bit of trivia.
What are we to read into your numbers?

It could be said that seeing as the US only supplied about 40% of the troops going ashore on D-Day they did a very bad job of it!
Yes, the landing craft were built in Noo Orleans, but the US built 0% of the Mulberry Harbours and made a mess of tying down the one they did use.

I respectfully suggest that you read and digest a copy of 'Crusade In Europe by Dwight D Eisenhower', he was slightly involved in the planning and execution of events.
About that Market-Garden thing...

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6494 Post by ian16th » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm

brickhistory wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:47 pm
If it had come off, VE Day would have been in 1944.

Edited to add, Eisenhower's words on the matter of Market Garden.
Clipboard01.jpg
Maybe your sources are Hollywood?

Seenenough

#6495 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Ian-I have seen may a game of Cricket and Rugby end not as planned as a result of the sun being in the wrong place or the the ball bouncing the wrong way after it was kicked.

Even if VE day occured in 44 it would have still required massive input from the US to have been make to help British and Allies force surrender.History records that it did not work out that way.

The story of the Liberty Ships jumps to mind.The US shipbuilders were able to build the cargo ships faster than the U-Boats could sink them which facilitated some desperately needed supplies to get through the blockade that the Germans held over Allies.

The story of the Liberty Ships is no Hollywood Tale as you should well know.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6496 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Well, blow me! How did I guess that? You need to go back to post #6430 (a bit before the recent knicker-twisting)

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..............
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/07/donald-t ... -12522903/

Boy Jared will be in there somewhere, mark my words.

PS I see "Less common side effects can include skin rashes and hair changes." - must be on it already?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6497 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:07 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:55 pm
Well, blow me! How did I guess that? You need to go back to post #6430 (a bit before the recent knicker-twisting)

PS I see "Less common side effects can include skin rashes and hair changes." - must be on it already?
Quelle surprise! ;)))

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... ri18n=true
The financial news site MarketWatch and The Washington Post later estimated Trump’s stake to be worth between about $100 and $1,500, though the Post noted his trusts may have amassed other investments since his most recent disclosure. “He does look to have more than that modest sum invested in Sanofi, because, unmentioned in the Times report, his trusts also hold broader European stock-market index funds,” MarketWatch pointed out.

A chorus of Trump supporters with no medical expertise have backed the president’s urging of doctors to treat COVID-19 patients with the drug, including his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and Fox News host Sean Hannity.

In the face of warnings from top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci that the drug’s safety and effectiveness are uncertain in treating COVID-19, Trump has continued to laud its supposed benefits.

“What do you have to lose?” he asked at a press briefing this week urging those sick with the virus to take the drug.

Turns out plenty.

“There could be deaths,” American Medical Association President Dr. Patrice Harris said. “This is a new virus, and so we should not be promoting any medication or drug for any disease that has not been proven and approved by the FDA.”

Generic drugmakers also are gearing up to produce hydroxychloroquine pills. One of those companies was co-founded by Trump golfing buddy Chirag Patel, according to the Times.

The White House didn’t immediately answer HuffPost’s request for comment.

John Dillard, a spokesperson for Fisher Investments, called the Times article a “false report” and said Sanofi “is neither a material holding of Fisher Investments nor of Ken Fisher personally.” He also took issue with the characterization of his boss as a Republican donor, saying Fisher also had contributed to Democrats in the past.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6498 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Bo here is what Forbes reports

Trump’s three family trusts have investments in a Dodge & Cox mutual fund, with Sanofi as the largest holding, according to the Times.
Forbes estimates the value of Trump’s Sanofi holdings to be less than $3,000; for context, Forbes estimates Trump's total net worth at $2.1 billion

You wet your pants again reading the Tabloids

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6499 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:05 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... oronavirus
None of the treatments the four US “genius” drug companies that Donald Trump claims could help Boris Johnson recover from Covid-19 are clinically tested for coronavirus or available on the market, it has emerged.

Trump said he had spoken to four companies working with the US government on Monday and had asked two of them to “contact London immediately” about assisting with the prime minister’s treatment.

Downing Street has indicated it does not wish to take up Trump’s offer of experimental drugs.

Nonetheless, one of the companies, Gilead, which made the drug Remdesivir that was used in trials for Ebola treatment, confirmed that the president had spoken to its chief executive. But it said its therapeutic drug had not yet been clinically tested, a process that was under way.

“He did call our our CEO in the day yesterday but we cannot go beyond that,” said a spokeswoman.

Trump implied that drugs that could help the prime minister were on their way to St Thomas’ hospital in London where Johnson remains in intensive care.

“I’ve talked to four of them today and they speak a language that most people do not understand but I understand something … they’ve really advanced therapeutics and therapeutically and they’ve arrived in London already, their London office has whatever they need and we will see if we can be of help.

“We’ve contacted all of Boris’s doctors and we’ll see what is going to take place but they are ready to go,” he said.

But on Tuesday a spokeswoman at Gilead’s London’s headquarters said its drug, Remdesivir, had not been tested yet and would only be available if a patient’s doctor specifically requested it.
The man is a lying loon!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6500 Post by brickhistory » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm

ian16th wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm
brickhistory wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:47 pm
If it had come off, VE Day would have been in 1944.
If...

Indeed