The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#6161 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:02 am

..........the best health care access I know of ...........
If you can afford it.

Will probably cancel our planned trip to California in June, even if we are allowed to fly again, my "Worldwide" health insurance specifically restricts the value of any USA treatment to little more than a 5 minute talk to a doctor on the telephone. ( from a previous experience.)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6162 Post by OFSO » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 am

I had (and have) a mandatory health insurance which is sufficient to cover expenses anywhere in the world. Except the USA. When I was at work, staff members on mission to the USA were recommended to take out their own medical insurance.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6163 Post by llondel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:17 pm

We're already having events cancelled for June, so people around here don't think we'll be clear by then.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6164 Post by BenThere » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 am

California venues are justified in extending their cancellations further out as the people come to the realization that they are on a sinking ship regardless of Coronavirus. If California was concerned about Coronavirus it would clean up the Streets of San Francisco.

California is burdened by a monolithic single party dominance that has misruled and misdirected the entire state for the last 30 years. Back then it was a beacon, offering climate, natural beauty, a casual culture, thriving and dynamic economy, the epicenter of the digital age, and so much more. Now it has totally lost its luster. You can't blame Republicans for that, they are a small minority. No Republican has held a statewide elective office for a decade or so.

I'm from Detroit, and currently live on its outskirts, though I lived in Northern California for 26 years - I know the process well. You shake your head at each new political affront, but the peeps keep voting Democrat like they do in Newark, Chicago, LA, Sam Fran, St. Louis, Cleveland, New Orleans, and most miserable big cities in the USA.

The productive people move out to the suburbs and vote Republican. Life is generally very good in those areas still, like where I live, in the green belt where Detroit becomes Ann Arbor - safe, serene, bucolic, surrounded by picturesque lakes - I'd call it almost a country club environment, but that label would trigger some folks, so I won't. That's the same logic as why I don't wear my MAGA hat or have a Trump bumper sticker on my car - I don't want to get beaten up by a younger, stronger leftist or have some social justice warrior run the point of his car keys along the paint of my nice, late model Mercedes SUV. I can't put a Trump sign in front of my house for fear of having a rock thrown through my window. That's how many Democrats roll. Carrying this thought further, polling data shows President Trump at slightly under 50%, but I think there may be up to 10% more pro-Trump voters, but they are afraid to say so.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6165 Post by llondel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:33 am

BenThere wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 am
Carrying this thought further, polling data shows President Trump at slightly under 50%, but I think there may be up to 10% more pro-Trump voters, but they are afraid to say so.
Yes, the unpopular often poll higher in the real contests because supporters find it easier to avoid trouble by not saying stuff. that's how the Tory Party in the UK (or in England, at least) do better at election time than their poll numbers leading up to it might suggest.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6166 Post by John Hill » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:48 am

BenThere wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 am

California is burdened by a monolithic single party dominance that has misruled and misdirected the entire state for the last 30 years. Back then it was a beacon, offering climate, natural beauty, a casual culture, thriving and dynamic economy, the epicenter of the digital age, and so much more. Now it has totally lost its luster. You can't blame Republicans for that, they are a small minority. No Republican has held a statewide elective office for a decade or so.

Why is that Ben?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6167 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:18 am

Is there any hope that Chump might lead from the front and try eating fish tank cleaner as per “Darwin Awards” post # 389?

He seems to have carried out considerable research into the beneficial effects of anti-malarial drug chloroquine so best leadership example would be demonstrated by him publicly consuming the said drug, or indeed anything with a similar sounding name.

It’s a really important development in the Covid-19 battle, a really important development (repeat ad nauseam at the end of every statement).

‘Twud be funny if it wasn’t so serious!

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6168 Post by John Hill » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:18 am

I think it may be best if the US 2020 elections are postponed or even cancelled, just for the good of the world you know?

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6169 Post by brickhistory » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:56 pm

John Hill wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:18 am
I think it may be best if the US 2020 elections are postponed or even cancelled, just for the good of the world you know?
It's Make America Great Again. Not be a patsy for the ankle-biter countries anymore. Do try and keep up. You solve your own problems. Better for everyone.

BenT's (Hey again!) description of suburban/rural Michigan is echoed in nearly all areas of the nation. Even the liberal states have vast swathes of rural where the tide runs conservative, they are just outnumbered.

Here in Texas, we are solidly still conservative and like self-reliance. With some notable exceptions of Austin (Democrat run/controlled) and a few other very urban areas. I simply don't understand those that fled poorly run places like California come to Texas (welcome!) but then start behaving/voting in the same manner that led them to flee their last place. Short-sighted in the extreme. But par for the course of human behavior.
What's his plan? A Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6170 Post by John Hill » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm

brickhistory wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:56 pm
It's Make America Great Again. Not be a patsy for the ankle-biter countries anymore. Do try and keep up. You solve your own problems. Better for everyone.
Hey! Does that mean you will no longer be interfering and molesting every damn country in the world?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6171 Post by Woody » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 pm

Hey! Does that mean you will no longer be interfering and molesting every damn country in the world?
Going to leave that to the Russians B-) B-)
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Seenenough

#6172 Post by Seenenough » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Going to leave that to the Russians B-) B-)
and China

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6173 Post by John Hill » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 pm

They have a lot of catching up to do.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#6174 Post by prospector » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 am

Just refresh my memory, where does China and Russia have military bases outside their own borders??

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6175 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 am

prospector wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 am
Just refresh my memory, where does China and Russia have military bases outside their own borders??
They're working on it - watch the Chinese in Africa over the years. It took the US a while to build out its network, expect the others to take time too. Although they're building islands i the South China Sea and claiming it all belongs to them.

Seenenough

#6176 Post by Seenenough » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:02 am

prospector wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 am
They don't need them as they have bought off the African Governments(and a few others, NoKo,Venezuela and Cuba spring to mind) long ago

prospector
Capt
Capt

#6177 Post by prospector » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:46 am

Of course, Cuba, is that what the Bay of Pigs was all about, to get rid of foreign military bases in Cuba

https://www.britannica.com/event/Bay-of-Pigs-invasion

An invasion of Cuba had been planned by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) since May 1960. The wisdom of proceeding with the invasion had been debated within the newly inaugurated administration of President John F. Kennedy before it was finally approved and carried out.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6178 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:35 am

admin
Chief Engineer

#6179 Post by admin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 am

India has just put 1.4B people in lock-down, Japan has just postponed the Olympics, Italy has long since run out of fingers to count their dead, and just heard that Trump wants America open for business by Easter - in three weeks time. Also telling people that they should celebrate Easter by attending church services. Has his last brain cell given up and died? Has no one there the courage to contract the disease and pass it on to him, for God's sake? Need to know whether he can still twitter whilst on a ventilator?

prospector
Capt
Capt

#6180 Post by prospector » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:39 am

And China gor on top of the virus by being very tough on the populace, and even their boss got flack thrown at him for being a communist dictator who got on top by being tough.

How does anybody win???