A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#7841 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:55 am

prospector wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:49 am
" with my 5700 hours under my belt against your 10,000 hours plus I would be watching you like a hawk! Asking myself, is this **** delusional?"

Is that all you have got?? I would think the hawk would be in the left seat!!!.
Nah, I leave the rest to the old knobheads...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7842 Post by boing » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:58 am

Here you go GG. Please explain the numbers to me when you work it out. Notice how much real estate is involved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/us/t ... taxes.html

The take away is that on 15 million dollars of personal income he paid $750 tax and I would bet it was all absolutely legal under US tax law. Note how much using one loss to cover another profit is involved, just what I pointed out to you in my first post which you claimed was delusional.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7843 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:01 am

boing wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:58 am
Here you go GG. Please explain the numbers to me when you work it out. Notice how much real estate is involved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/us/t ... taxes.html

The take away is that on 15 million dollars of personal income he paid $750 tax and I would bet it was all absolutely legal under US tax law. Note how much using one loss to cover another profit is involved, just what I pointed out to you in my first post which you claimed was delusional.

You see boing, what I find shocking is how much, good men like you, will go to try and give your grifter his way...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7844 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:08 am

You know it is bad when the ultimate excuser wakes up there in Pearson.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#7845 Post by Dushan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:12 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:08 am
Caco are you referring to me?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7846 Post by boing » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:14 am

Actually Prosp. I must have well over 15,000 hours but I stopped counting at 5,000 because that was what I needed to get my UK ATPL or US ATP or left seat minimum whichever it was, there was something including that 5,000 hours. I have both licenses. After that there was no point in counting any more. 40 years of working in aluminum tubing, 20,000 hours would only be 500 hours per year so the number may be that much or more. Three Hong Kong flights a month would be 90 hours a month so even with vacations is was probably getting about 900 hours a year.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7847 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:24 am

Dushan wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:12 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:08 am
Caco are you referring to me?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7848 Post by boing » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:32 am

GG, I'm not praising Trump (likely his accountant) for being so clever. What I am saying is what he did was absolutely legal so all of this hot air that is being generated is pointless. Yes, he made a lot of money, no, he did not pay much tax but what he did was proper and what every person in the US would love to do - pay as little taxes as possible.

All of this choking emotion about his $750 tax bill is bogus, a) because he acted legally, b) because all of the accusations about him cheating on his taxes have, as far as we know so far, been shown to be false.

To be fair, instead of being accused of being a lousy business man because he only made $750 in a year many people would say he was a genius because he made so much money and paid so little tax. The shifting around of profits and losses will catch up with him eventually but it will be at a time of his accountant's choosing not the IRS.

I'm not giving him his way at all but I recognise the reality, what he did was within the law and so it is no use use acting as though he did something enormously wrong. He just played the rules to his benefit.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7849 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:34 am

Yeah, only the little people pay tax, eh boing...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7850 Post by boing » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:13 am

GG

You don't get it do you. Nobody in the US in their right mind pays more tax than they need to so what is the moral difference between Trump who apparently has a big income and pays as little tax as possible and the little people who earn less but also pay as little tax as possible. There is no moral or legal difference. Their paycheck at the end of the month may be different but nobody, except Marx, said that everyone should have the same take-home pay.

A little tit-bit for you.
Paul Francis XXXXXX Sr. was born on April 15, 1940 and he owns and operates Financial Leasing Services, Inc, which is a San Francisco-based real estate and consulting firm.
It is not clear how much Paul is worth, but in 2014 his wife reported between £34million ($43.4million) and £158million ($202million) in assets.
He runs a very successful firm in California called Financial Leasing Services, Inc.
He also invested in Russell Ranch LLC, a real estate company in California that reportedly increased his wealth by £3.14million ($4million).
The couple own a vineyard in California that is worth between £3.9million ($5million) and £19.64 ($25million).
The XXXXXXs hide the name Pelosi. Ring a bell?
his wife reported between £34million ($43.4million) and £158million ($202million) in assets
. What's a few million dollars in rounding, between $43M and $202M is close enough, why sweat the details? And this is the woman screaming about Trump's tax returns. I would love to go through theirs.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#7851 Post by Bob » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:12 am

If the great orange one loses the election it's clear he will try anything to void the result or simply deny it. (I think this is a widely accepted prediction and one endorsed by the great one himself, but please correct me)
...so in this situation I wonder how the US Population will react?, no doubt whatever form theinitial reactions take they will be along partisan lines, but after the first few mass shootings will they simply continue to fight amongst themselves as they have been doing for the past 4 years or could they possibly come together in the recognition that their country has become a **** of epic proportions?
I realise I'll only get one side of the debate from the regulars here, but can you regulars concieve that the latter could possibly happen?

It takes 2 to Tango
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7852 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 am

I used to think very little of Grayson Perry (qv) but having seen a few of his TV programmes I find he gives a refreshing and interesting view on things.

One thing to run by our USA members - in his latest film in which he tours the south, riding a delightful 'chopper', he says, I think, that the US will become a majority black country within 4 years. That is staggering. Did I hear it correctly?

The film was superb, I thought - he toured the poor black community and the incredibly wealthy, mixing and talking freely to each. Very interesting.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#7853 Post by Bob » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:47 pm

He is an honest sort of bloke and I think people can detect that
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7854 Post by boing » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:04 pm

BOAC
I don't think the projections on 4 years can be correct but some time in the future yes.
The Hispanic population is actually increasing faster than the black population and it already gives Hispanics a voting majority in certain areas. The Hispanics then elect Hispanic officials but this has been an improvement in some areas because the new officials are more focussed on solving problems than playing politics.
The Hispanic population is not homogeneous, there are Caribbean Hispanics, Mexican Hispanics etc.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7855 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:20 pm

From another forum that I subscribe to:
On Facebook, the Donald J. Trump ID was posting every 5 minutes during the debate:
The real Donald Trump only does Twitter, no email and no Facebook. Somebody else must be doing the posts on Facebook. Time for researchers to dig down.
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7856 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:25 pm

boing - forgive the ignorance, but do they qualify as 'blacks' in the US (ie are they 'included' in BLM) or does one have to be 'black' and not a 'shade of brown'? Is the 'issue' in the US primarily with (African?) blacks or does it include what I believe is now known (slightly ridiculously) as 'people of colour' eg Hispanics, Indians, West Indies, Arabs etc?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7857 Post by boing » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:17 pm

BOAC

BLM is an African American organisation with some support from sectors of the white population but a complete understanding of the group is greatly complicated because, despite claims of a leadership, there is no effective central control over the organisation or the message.

I have seen no support for BLM from any of the other minority ethnic groups. BLM is mainly driven by the descendants of the original US slave population and it seems to me that immigration to the US by black Africans is currently quite low so this is probably not a source of supporters. BLM has support from the general black population as a concept but it has many supporters who fear its present tactics may make their situation worse rather than better. Many blacks are disturbed by the fact that white supporters are fomenting violence in their name, this situation is quite obvious if you watch videos of the current riots. There are black people at the riots but not many.

Research by the Pew Research organisation shows that blacks and Hispanics get along quite well, in the 70% region, but that there is a large disparity in the attitude of the two groups in their views on repression. Roughly interpreted blacks claim that they are repressed, always have been, still are and always will be whereas Hispanics tend to think that they have a way to go but they are on the way to a more positive future. The surveys can be found on-line under pewresearch.org.

Here is a long article that may answer some questions about the voting implications.

https://www.pewresearch.org/2020/09/23/ ... lectorate/

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7858 Post by boing » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:23 pm

But the Times report was quick to note that tax filings alone can’t help determine someone’s net worth. And several experts told The Associated Press that, while the true state of Trump’s financial situation is unclear because of a lack of public information, he is probably not scrambling for money.

At issue is the often wide difference between what businesses report as profits and losses to the IRS and what they actually receive in profits they put in their pockets.
Can I rest my case now GG?

Yes, corporations probably have too easy a time, yes, $750 in taxes is a joke but the media claim that Trump was going bankrupt because he is such a lousy business owner (and hence by extrapolation that he is likely to be a lousy President) does not stand inspection.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/202 ... -fast.html

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7859 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:16 am

Once upon a time you’d be happy to say “there are no flies on this guy”!

Alas the wooden Mike Pence seems attractive to our favourite *****-eaters so what does that say about the US Elections and the ‘debates’?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/arts ... ebate.html

That was one helluva refuelling stopover, so what does the fly know that we don’t?! =))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7860 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:02 am

It is beginning to look as if the Chump just had a case of manflu, with possibly a false positive test, isn't it? If it was real C19 infection, and not a politically convenient one, then as John Campbell says, an urgent look at the antibody treatment he was given is called for.

It is estimated that his treatment may have cost nearly $1million - good of him to offer it free to all Americans.