A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#7501 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:18 pm

Dushan wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 pm
Is it because their first choice, Glasgow, was rejected?
=)) :YMAPPLAUSE:

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7502 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:42 pm

Wow! :-o
Just Wow! X(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics ... index.html

Too long to cut and paste. ~X( Hope the link works for everyone. If not, I'll cut it up into 4-5 posts.
I'm half way through Bolton's book and it tracks with this article.

PP

Edit:
More disturbing stuff! ~X(
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics ... index.html

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#7503 Post by Dushan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:56 pm
Glasgow was the local authority with the most dispersed asylum seekers (37412 or 60 per 10,000).

From:- House of Commons BRIEFING PAPER Number SN01403, 17 March 2020
You know what they call 37,412 immigrants at INS? Wednesday afternoon.

I guess the other 1,060,000 in 2018 were rejected and had to go to their second choice USA.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7504 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:29 am

Are they given a second choice?

That's weird.

Are they given some kind of a tick-list?

Does that really happen?

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7505 Post by prospector » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 am

Are there still people that believe what they get from CNN ??

"source says" that is so informative, as to whether the source is of any value they may as well say "Sauce said"

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7506 Post by FD2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:42 am

I'm only about 10% into Bolton's book, but what seems clear (if you take his word for it) is that he took the job as National Security Advisor feeling that he should present all the courses of action open to Trump over particular issues, not just the slanted ones to suit their own agendas that others in the White House circle came up with. It was noticed almost immediately after Bolton arrived that Trump made his mind up about situations without listening to his advisors. He thought Bolton was just going to support him come what may and not present him with any different courses than those he already thought he had. More specifics in due course.

I believe it is important to listen to as many 'versions' as possible and not blindly follow one's own 'beliefs' about how good or bad this paper or that papers' versions of events are. Because Trump may insult a particular paper's reporter at a news conference doesn't mean much more than that he or she has asked a question that has got under Trump's skin.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7507 Post by prospector » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:29 am

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12344262

"He clearly intimidated her and meant to," the source told Bernstein. CNN sources surely get around. I suppose if I rang them up and spilt some dirt on Trump, then I would be quoted as a "Source", whether the information is true or not is not open for confirmation, who can question an unkown "source" for any fact checking.??

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7508 Post by FD2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 am

Yes prospector - that's what all newspapers have been doing for years, as they know they are not likely to have to cough up the fact that they made the story up. If not the whole story then just embroidered it to fill in the gaps.

Seenenough

#7509 Post by Seenenough » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm

After living here in the US for a while I have learned that when a "breaking bombshell" story comes out that one should wait a week or two to gather a better picture of the initial report in proper and balanced context before drawing a conclusion.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7510 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:04 pm

This will not go down well in Chump Land https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-now.html

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7511 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 pm

It's not just the EU. ~X(
States requiring quarantines
. [-X

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/new-y ... index.html

NY, NJ and CT require travelers from states with high coronavirus rates to quarantine for two weeks
Eric Levenson
By Eric Levenson, CNN

(CNN)New York, New Jersey and Connecticut issued a travel advisory Wednesday that requires people arriving from states with high coronavirus rates to quarantine for 14 days.

The travel advisory applies to anyone coming from a state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents over a 7-day rolling average or a state with a 10% or higher positivity rate over a seven-day rolling average, according to a joint announcement from the governors of the three states.
"We have to make sure the virus doesn't come in on a plane," said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
"We worked very hard to get the viral transmission rate down, and we don't want to see it go up," he added.
As of Wednesday, the advisory applies to Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah and Texas. It begins tonight at midnight.
Washington state was originally in the list due to a discrepancy in their reporting, which has since been corrected, and the state was removed from the list, said Caitlin Girouard, a spokeswoman for Cuomo.
The announcement is a 180-degree flip from just a few months ago, when the tri-state area, and New York City in particular, was the epicenter of the pandemic.
The 7-day moving average of new cases has declined in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
The 7-day moving average of new cases has declined in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
In late March, President Donald Trump considered placing the three states under a quarantine, Rhode Island police stopped vehicles with New York license plates, and Florida directed all travelers from the tri-state area to isolate or quarantine for two weeks.
Months of strict lockdown rules, widespread testing and imperfect attempts at contact tracing have brought cases under control in the tri-state area and the region. New cases are on the decline this past week, compared to the week before in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
But now, states in the South and West are seeing what Dr. Anthony Fauci, a member of the White House coronavirus task force, called a "disturbing surge" in cases.
As of Wednesday, 26 states reported an increase in cases in the past week compared to the week prior, and that increase has been particularly stark in heavily populated states like California, Texas, Florida and Arizona.
How the restrictions will work
Each of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut will be responsible for its own enforcement of the quarantine. The states' health commissioners will pursue an aggressive public relations campaign at airports, highways and other locations.
In New York, Cuomo said, those violating the quarantine could be subject to a judicial order and mandatory quarantine, and fines are $2,000 for the first violation, $5,000 for the second violation, and $10,000 if you cause harm.
Texas governor urges people to stay home as states report surges of new Covid-19 cases
Texas governor urges people to stay home as states report surges of new Covid-19 cases
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said the advisory applies to everyone, including New Jerseyans returning home.
"This is not a polite recommendation, this is a strong advisory built on the back of the healthcare professionals," he said. "We are asking folks to take on a big amount of personal responsibility here, to do the right thing for themselves as well as for their families, communities and the rest of us."
When asked about the possibility of fines, he said the health commissioner "has within her powers to directly address an individual who is non-compliant."
The new rules will not apply to Trump when he visits his Bedminster golf club this weekend.
"The President of the United States is not a civilian. Anyone who is in close proximity to him, including staff, guests, and press, are tested for Covid-19 and confirmed to be negative," White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement.
Murphy said there is an exception for essential workers, which applies to the President, reiterating that people around the President are regularly tested.
"I think the bigger point here is we want folks to really be responsible in terms of thinking about not just themselves, but their family and their communities," he said. "And we've beaten this virus down to a pulp in New Jersey with an enormous loss of life. We've been through hell, and we don't want to go through hell again. And that's the spirit that underpins what we're asking folks to do."
Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont said the governors "reluctantly" decided to institute the travel advisory.
"The Northeast region has taken this seriously," he said. "But we're not an island. And as we look around the rest of the country, you know, we have seen not just spikes, but we've seen real community spread."
He described the advisory as voluntary but considered it "urgent guidance."
Lack of national infrastructure
The interstate travel restrictions are just another consequence of the federal government's inability to create a robust national public health infrastructure. The lack of nationwide rules and effective supply chains has largely left each state on its own and had the effect of pitting them against each other.
Even now, 19 states have no requirements for residents to wear face masks -- the simplest and cheapest layer of defense against a virus with no vaccine and no widely effective treatment.
Indeed, Cuomo has openly mocked other states that he said were acting politically rather than scientifically.
What's behind the surge of Covid-19 cases in Florida
What's behind the surge of Covid-19 cases in Florida
"New York went from one of the highest infection rates in the country to one of the lowest because we made decisions based on science -- not politics," he said Tuesday. "We're seeing in other states what happens when you just reopen with no regard for metrics or data. It's bad for public health and for the economy, and states that reopened in a rush are now seeing a boomerang."
As part of its phased reopening, New York required regions to meet certain metrics around testing, contact tracing, and hospital admissions and available beds. New York City, the final region to reopen, moved to the second phase of its reopening on Monday after seeing continued improvement in each metric.
Still, Dr. Richard Besser, former acting director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said no state has yet effectively reopened its economy safely.
"We have to figure out how to make that transition in a successful way, or every state that reopens, even those that have done a really good job at tamping this down, are going to see pretty dramatic rises and we're going to end up back to where we were," Besser said.
CNN's Melanie Schuman and Kristina Sgueglia contributed to this report.

Massachusetts will require all travelers to quarantine except those from northeast states
From CNN’s Taylor Romine

Gov. Charlie Baker
Gov. Charlie Baker Pool
All travelers arriving in Massachusetts, including residents returning to the state, will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days, Gov. Charlie Baker announced today.

The order goes in to effect Wednesday, according to a statement from the governor.

It does not apply to travelers from these states:

Rhode Island
Connecticut
New Jersey
New York
Vermont
Maine
New Hampshire
Essential workers also continue to be exempt.

Some context: The announcement follows a similar quarantine announced by Rhode Island Monday along with New York, New Jersey and Connecticut which announced their own quarantine last week.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7512 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm

I cannot understand why the Chump has cancelled the Alabama 'loonies' rally because of the virus? Surely all he needs to do is to ask the State to stop testing people?

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7513 Post by prospector » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 am

https://www.rt.com/news/493407-afghanis ... aign=Email

" Once again, the Times quotes anonymous sources – “three officials familiar with the intelligence” – so the claim is impossible to verify. No evidence of the alleged electronic transfer is provided, only a third-hand hearsay that “analysts concluded from other intelligence that the transfers were most likely part of a bounty program.”

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7514 Post by prospector » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:38 am

What is it with the adults?? who believe all the wisdom in the world now belongs to minor girls? Greta Thunburg, and now this minor, who must have collected a wealth of knowledge in her 15 years for her opinion to be quoted so readily by so called journalists

https://www.rt.com/usa/493415-kellyanne ... aign=Email

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7515 Post by FD2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 am

prospector - it's 'secret' and therefore unattributable. Could be true or could be false, like so much social media 'sensational' garbage the Russians, Koreans, Chinese etc feed in. I'm sure 'we' don't do it to 'them'... :D

I'd love to see the journalists forced to disclose some of their 'sources' in court.

As for Conway's daughter, it must be hard being verbally abused by her 'woke' fellow school children for what her mother does in the Whitehouse staff, that coming out as anti-Trump might be a way of diverting the bullying. Why anyone should bother listening to this child is another matter.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7516 Post by Boac » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 pm

“I think we’re gonna be very good with the coronavirus. I think that at some point that’s going to, sort of, just disappear — I hope,” Mr Trump told Fox Business on Wednesday.

What is this man on?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7517 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 pm

FD2 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 am
prospector - it's 'secret' and therefore unattributable. Could be true or could be false, like so much social media 'sensational' garbage the Russians, Koreans, Chinese etc feed in. I'm sure 'we' don't do it to 'them'... :D

I'd love to see the journalists forced to disclose some of their 'sources' in court.

As for Conway's daughter, it must be hard being verbally abused by her 'woke' fellow school children for what her mother does in the Whitehouse staff, that coming out as anti-Trump might be a way of diverting the bullying. Why anyone should bother listening to this child is another matter.

;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7518 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 pm
“I think we’re gonna be very good with the coronavirus. I think that at some point that’s going to, sort of, just disappear — I hope,” Mr Trump told Fox Business on Wednesday.

What is this man on?
I think he's on notice that his own supporters just ain't gonna support him in November if he keeps on saying stoopid stuff.

Even the die-hard nasties are beginning to row back from him.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7519 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:17 am

Now he has forgotten that a mask makes him 'look weak' and now it makes him look strong.
UP wrote:if he keeps on saying stoopid stuff.
Got a major handicap there, hasn't he?

God help us all!

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7520 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 pm

A quite fair take on the mounting excitement west of 30W which should entertain us until Christmas...

Relax, there are no incitements to buy neither mugs nor pillow-speakers;

Hope it gladdens the hearts of some in Europe but the US electorate here present will soon correct his assessment!? :-w