The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#6441 Post by ian16th » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:36 pm

I have to admit that at one time, due to uncertainties here in Seth Efrica, I applied for the US Green Card Lottery. This of course was when Englishmen still could.
It took the US civil service, 18 months to make me an offer. By which time things in SA were such that we decided not to accept the offer.

My wife and I have never regretted the decision.
Cynicism improves with age

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6442 Post by brickhistory » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:36 pm
I have to admit that at one time, due to uncertainties here in Seth Efrica, I applied for the US Green Card Lottery. This of course was when Englishmen still could.
It took the US civil service, 18 months to make me an offer. By which time things in SA were such that we decided not to accept the offer.

Pity that we lost out. Legitimate comment and sentiment. You, no doubt, would've made a fine addition to our melting pot.

But par for the course for government. Any government.

And people want more of that...
What's his plan? A Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan.

Seenenough

#6443 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:17 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Ian-with the floods of applications that the US Customs and Immigration have to process 18 months would be halving of the current process times.I am waiting for finality on an issue from them but will need to wait another 18 months beyond the 18 that I have already been waiting.The .gov web is now warning about further delays because of Covid.

The silly thing about it though is my family and I will qualify to apply for US Naturalization in 14 months time.

PS I have a very good friend who lives down your way in the bananas at Pennington.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6444 Post by brickhistory » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Welcome and thank you for putting up/gutting through the ludicrous bureaucracy to get to your goal via the legal means.

Seenenough

#6445 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:05 pm

brickhistory wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:59 pm
Welcome and thank you for putting up/gutting through the ludicrous bureaucracy to get to your goal via the legal means.
If there is a will brick, there is a way.

We are very grateful for what the US has shared with us.

It still gets more cranky.We first have to apply to the SA Government to be allowed to apply to the US for Naturalization but we can only apply to the SA Gov on the day we become eligible in the US in order to retain Dual Citizenship.I am warned that getting SAs approval can also take up to a year.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6446 Post by John Hill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 pm

None the less, I have been to only two countries where the inhabitants are firmly convinced the rest of the world envies them! The USA and DPRK.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Seenenough

#6447 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:43 pm

John Hill wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 pm
None the less, I have been to only two countries where the inhabitants are firmly convinced the rest of the world envies them! The USA and DPRK.
Can think of a few others,German Engineering,French Cuisine and Wine,Swiss Perfection,Belgian Beer,British Craftsmanship to name a few,assuming that you have visited these countries that no boby dies trying to leave.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6448 Post by John Hill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Your mind is beginning to wander.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6449 Post by BenThere » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:46 pm

The difference is that the USA can document that sentiment, though I'm not sure whether you would prefer DPRK if confronted with such a choice.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6450 Post by John Hill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:55 pm

I will say it again and perhaps and you will get the point
... only two countries where the inhabitants are firmly convinced the rest of the world envies them! The USA and DPRK.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6451 Post by brickhistory » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:09 pm

But the difference Is, I truly do not care.

And that has made all the difference...

USA (and DPRK apparently but I see no thread) gets all the comments, so it must be something to somebody.

I spent the day clearing cedar (actually juniper) from my little spread here in Texas. And gave not a care in the world to those outside the States.

Although I admire your Queen's longevity and her love of country. Pity those call to prayers interrupted her speech...

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6452 Post by BenThere » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 pm

John Hill,

You might consider surveying the countries of the world as to what countries the population envies or wishes to emigrate to. I'm fairly certain USA would rank quite well.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6453 Post by Woody » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:30 pm

I spent the day clearing cedar (actually juniper) from my little spread here in Texas. And gave not a care in the world to those outside the States.

Although I admire your Queen's longevity and her love of country. Pity those call to prayers interrupted her speech...
If you have “not a care in the world to those outside the States “ , this must count as the most uneducated post on this thread.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6454 Post by John Hill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Are you sure the USA would not have top ranking?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6455 Post by John Hill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 pm

not a care in the world to those outside the States
I doubt the majority of people of the DPRK have a knowledge of the outside world either so that is another thing they share with Americans.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6456 Post by brickhistory » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:23 pm

Enjoyed tremendously the nicely-marbled ribeye and the adult beverage accompanying it.

Superb.

Seenenough

#6457 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:05 am

John Hill wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 pm
not a care in the world to those outside the States
I doubt the majority of people of the DPRK have a knowledge of the outside world either so that is another thing they share with Americans.
Once again the poor people of the DPRK have little knowledge that there is an outside world that even exists while Americans know there is an outside world that exists that spends much of its day trashing the US very often pretending that their own countries have no problems of their own to worry about.

I can assure you that the opinions of several old ,when we were pensioners, sitting in the grey north of UK will have absolutely zero effect on the outcome of how the US gets on with its affairs.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6458 Post by John Hill » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:17 am

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:05 am

Once again the poor people of the DPRK have little knowledge that there is an outside world that even exists while Americans know there is an outside world that exists that spends much of its day trashing the US very often pretending that their own countries have no problems of their own to worry about.
That would be another similarity between the two countries as North Koreans who do hear about the outside world learn about the USA which has been at war with them since 1952.

Seenenough

#6459 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:22 am

John Hill wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:17 am
Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:05 am

That would be another similarity between the two countries as North Koreans who do hear about the outside world learn about the USA which has been at war with them since 1952.
Last I read was that the declaration of war was between North and South Korea and not the USA-Little Phat Fuk kept telling us that the US have declared war on him but I cannot find any proof of it.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6460 Post by John Hill » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:32 am

Not this ***** again!