The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Seenenough

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#6461 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:38 am

John Hill wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:32 am
Not this *sh*t* again!
No -Just making sure the correct facts are stated.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6462 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 am

John Hill wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 pm
I doubt the majority of people of the DPRK have a knowledge of the outside world either so that is another thing they share with Americans.
:YMAPPLAUSE:

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6463 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 am
John Hill wrote:
I doubt the majority of people of the DPRK have a knowledge of the outside world either so that is another thing they share with Americans.
Touché John, a hit, a very veritable palpable hit!

(If one is going to compliment somebody it is worth getting the Shakespeare right)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6464 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:32 am

The Three Amigos are riding again-Bo,Plumb and Caco's replacement ,all the way from"Little Moscow on the hill",Gob.

Seenenough

#6465 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:36 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 am
Undried Plum wrote:
John Hill wrote:

(If one is going to compliment somebody it is worth getting the Shakespeare right)
Gob,did you leave the US on your own accord or were you instructed by USCIS to remove yourself?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6466 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:40 am

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:36 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 am
Undried Plum wrote:

Gob,did you leave the US on your own accord or were you asked by USCIS to remove yourself?

Left, with a Stetson bought as a thank you to me by a grateful senior executive at Texas Commerce Bank, like the true corporate visionary and hero I was, seenough! ;)))

My infernal descent into aviation hell came later...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6467 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 am

What visa were you admitted on?

"like the true corporate visionary and hero I was, seenough! ;)))"I will pardon the error as I know it is very early in the morning over there.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6468 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:51 am

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 am
What visa were you admitted on?
I was admitted on a temporary work visa arranged by Chase Manhattan (well actually Chemical Bank at that time), my employer, who had bought Texas Commerce Bank. Why do you ask? You don't work for the IRS do you? If so I categorically deny that the money was doing anything, but temporarily lying in my account, and you can speak to my attorney! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6469 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:53 am

What class of Visa?

PS-I think the Amigo you replaced also studied at Little Moscow.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6470 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:00 am

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:53 am
What class of Visa?

PS-I think the Amigo you replaced also studied at Little Moscow.
Oh God, I can't remember seenenough, Chemical sorted all that ***** out for me. I was only out there for a year with 2 weeks R&R in the UK and then back again. I wasn't looking to relocate permanently to the US. Who at UCT do you know that worked for either TCB/Chemical or Chase?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6471 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 am

Gob -

About a quarter of my Matric Class went to Little Moscow in the 80s and many of them appear to have been taught well how to promulgate the liberal and progressive agendas that they were educated (brain washed) with.You seem to me to be to be no exception.

Caco ,who departed this forum a while ago also went to Little Moscow and he was well "educated " too.Like you he now hangs out in the confines and grayness of the UK and still has family on the seaboard side of the hill.

PS-for a man like you who is so sharp with numbers it should be easy to recall your visa class.

PPS-What has the IRS got to do with it?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6472 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:27 am

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 am
Gob -

About a quarter of my Matric Class went to Little Moscow and many of them appear to have been taught well how to promulgate the liberal and progressive agendas that they were educated (brain washed) with.You seem to me to be to be no exception.

Caco ,who departed this forum a while ago also went to Little Moscow and he was well "educated " too.Like you he now hangs out in the confines and grayness of the UK.

PS-for a man like you who is so sharp with numbers it should be easy to recall your visa class.

I am sure it would have been the Visa with the H letter and number associated with a man of extraordinary, ability or achievement seenenough. UCT produced many talented people of different political persuasions, one of whom, an old school friend, being a total fascist, who ended working up in South America (as all good fascists do).

The Caco fellow you mention sounds like a nice chap and clearly an educated man having had the distinct advantage of the superior education that UCT would have afforded him.

Where did you read? =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6473 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:30 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:27 am
Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 am
Gob -

About a quarter of my Matric Class went to Little Moscow and many of them appear to have been taught well how to promulgate the liberal and progressive agendas that they were educated (brain washed) with.You seem to me to be to be no exception.

Caco ,who departed this forum a while ago also went to Little Moscow and he was well "educated " too.Like you he now hangs out in the confines and grayness of the UK.

I am sure it would have been the Visa with the H letter and number associated with a man of extraordinary, ability or achievement seenenough. UCT produced many talented people of different political persuasions, one of whom, an old school friend, being a total fascist who ended working in South America (as all good fascists do).

The Caco fellow you mention sounds like a nice chap and clearly an educated man having had the distinct advantage of the superior education that UCT would have afforded him.

Where did you read? =))
The University of the Pavement

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6474 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:35 am

Seenenough wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:30 am
The University of the Pavement
I don't knock it. We are all graduates of life's university of hard knocks...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#6475 Post by Seenenough » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:05 am

Another story Gob-We had a little company that a big JSE listed company decided that they wanted to acquire (Bit of a lottery moment it was for us).

In the due diligence the team of accountants and lawyers representing the buyer asked me what my qualifications were.

I gave them - F.M.T , N.S.I.

Few weeks later I got a call from the CEO of the acquiring company saying to me the they were having a bit of trouble finding my qualifications.

I eventually helped them-Failed Matric Twice and Now Selling Insurance.

The sale still concluded and the CEO and I have been firm family friends ever since.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6476 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:19 am

My earlier immodest air was tongue in cheek (as I am sure you know) although factually correct seenenough. Some of the most able and capable people I know, abandoned the boredom of school at an early age, one of whom I know, who having failed matric, after having being temporarily expelled for having got his 16 year girlfriend pregnant, is now the esteemed head of the Philosophy Department at a well known University.

I also worked in the USA subsequently as part of a different career path, but let's not bore the good people here with personal anecdotes... although I suspect you and I might have much in common, even if not, politics...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6477 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:36 am

In an extraordinary broadside punctuated with profanity, the Navy’s top leader accused the fired commander of the coronavirus-stricken Theodore Roosevelt of being “too naive or too stupid” to be in charge of an aircraft carrier. He delivered the criticism to sailors who had cheered the departing skipper last week.
Hours after the remark was widely reported in the news media, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly issued a written public apology, saying he does not believe Capt. Brett Crozier is stupid or naive.
“I apologize for any confusion this choice of words may have caused,” Modly wrote late Monday evening, referring to his speech aboard the Roosevelt on Sunday. “I also want to apologize directly to Capt. Crozier, his family, and the entire crew of the Theodore Roosevelt for any pain my remarks may have caused.”
According to a person familiar with the conversation, Defense Secretary Mark Esper’s staff told Modly he must apologize. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a private conversation.
Modly had flown to Guam over the weekend and went aboard the carrier to deliver a lengthy and passionate speech. Crew members are being taken off the ship to be tested for the coronavirus. At least 173 sailors aboard the ship have tested positive, as of Monday, and about 2,000 of the 4,865 crew members had been taken off. The Navy has offered no estimate of when the ship might return to duty.
While skewering Crozier, Modly also admonished the crew. He suggested that by cheering Crozier when he departed the carrier last week, they were overlooking their most basic duty to defend U.S. interests.
“So think about that when you cheer the man off the ship who exposed you to that,” he said. “I understand you love the guy. It’s good that you love him. But you’re not required to love him.”
President Trump on Monday said he may get involved, agreeing that Modly’s criticism of Crozier was “a rough statement.” He said Crozier made a mistake when he sent a memo to several people laying out his concerns about the crew and the virus. The memo was leaked to the media.
Trump said Crozier had a good career prior to this incident, adding, “I don’t want to destroy somebody for having a bad day.”
Modly relieved Crozier of command of the ship last week, saying he had lost confidence in him for having shown “extremely poor judgment” in widely distributing the memo pleading for an accelerated evacuation of the crew to protect their health. The dismissal quickly turned into a hot political issue, with Democrats saying Crozier was wrongly fired for defending his sailors, and Trump denouncing Crozier and backing Modly.
In his apology Monday night, Modly said he believes Crozier is “smart and passionate.”
“I believe, precisely because he is not naive and stupid, that he sent his alarming email with the intention of getting it into the public domain in an effort to draw public attention to the situation on his ship,” Modly wrote.
Speaking on the ship, Modly urged the crew to stop complaining about their predicament, which he said made the Navy look weak. He suggested that some aboard the Roosevelt, including Crozier, had forgotten what matters most.
“It is the mission of the ship that matters,” he said. “You all know this, but in my view your captain lost sight of this and he compromised critical information about your status intentionally to draw greater attention to your situation.”
U.S. officials said Navy leaders, including Adm. Mike Gilday, chief of naval operations, argued that an investigation should be done before taking action. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.
The Sunday comments by Modly added fuel to the political fire, with at least one member of Congress urging he be fired.
An unofficial transcript of Modly’s remarks, as well as an audio recording, circulated widely on the internet Monday — demonstrating the slippery landscape that Modly accused Crozier of failing to navigate.
Modly, a 1983 Naval Academy graduate, became the acting Navy secretary in November after Richard Spencer was ousted from the position. Trump last month nominated retired Rear Adm. Kenneth Braithwaite, the current ambassador to Norway, to be the next Navy secretary.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6478 Post by Woody » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:42 am

So who’s going to responsible for more fatalities, Coronavirus or the Second Amendment?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52189349
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6479 Post by Boac » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:45 am

I believe failure to action the 25th, Woody.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6480 Post by Woody » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:50 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:45 am
I believe failure to action the 25th, Woody.
Good one :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.