Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#3261 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:40 pm
he has boosted the economy.
The trajectory of the economy he inherited is clear:

Hard to see how even the most adulatory of his acolytes can ascribe any of that to their hero

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3262 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm

I think you would be surprised (not). Don't forget that in fairyland the 'crash' of 08 was created by the Democrats and the current 'boom' by the Trumpet - I mean - just look at the huge jump in the lines after he was elected.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#3263 Post by Jetex Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:41 pm

I spotted this in the NYTimes comment stream.
A Republican canvasser came to my house yesterday. He was an elderly gentleman, I'd guess about 75. I said hello to him, but he didn't reciprocate. Instead, he launched into a stream of matters that I should be concerned with - "the immigrants are coming to get us", "the world is taking advantage of us", "we're a laughing stock", "the mainstream media is lying"... I was appalled by his comments, but I also felt very sorry for him. He seemed to sincerely believe everything that was coming out of his mouth, and he was frightened.

When he reached the end of his speech, I looked him in the eye and said, "This is the United States. We may have problems, but we're the most powerful nation in the world. Don't be afraid." He stared at me, speechless and confused. I repeated, "Don't be afraid."

To the President, and all of his enablers, you should be ashamed for what you've done to this man.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3264 Post by BenThere » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:23 pm

My wife and I got up early today to go vote. She had to be at work at 9 AM while I, being retired, only had taking out the trash and sweeping the autumn leaves from the driveway on my schedule for the day. She was just about out of time when we finally got to the front of the line.

The polling station is two blocks from our house at the Canton, Michigan Village Theater, and polling was open at 7 AM. We figured if we were there at 7 AM we would beat the crowd and waltz right through. However, when we got there at 7:10, there was already a long line of people waiting to vote. I cast my vote at 8:10 after waiting in line for an hour.

The Village Theatre is the polling place for two precincts. Mine, Precinct 38, is mostly made up of nice homes, a strong community, lots of kids - generally a great neighborhood. The other precinct, 10, is the apartment district, its demographic is young, more transient, much more Democrat. While Canton, MI votes about 70% Republican as a rule, Precinct 10 tends Democrat. There was no waiting line to the Precinct 10 polling station. Is that an indicator? I hope so.

I'll be staying up late to see how this election goes. I'm reminded of 2016, watching from Australia as the returns came in. I was totally surprised by the outcome, having resigned myself to a Hillary Clinton administration. I'm hoping for a similar surprise tonight. Standing in line, waiting to vote with fellow Republicans, gives me hope. Nevertheless, the odds right now call for a slight Democrat majority in the House, and a slight Republican majority in the Senate - gridlock.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3265 Post by Magnus » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:27 pm

The results should be coming in on UK news about breakfast time. I'll be watching with interest.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3266 Post by BenThere » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Also watched the Trump rally at Cape Girardeau, MO - birthplace of Rush Limbaugh. The part that sticks with me was when a member of the audience was stricken and passed out. President Trump stopped the program until she was taken care of by medics. The crowd spontaneously started singing 'Amazing Grace' - they all knew the words.

CNN says it was a staged event. I don't think so. How could you instruct 10,000 people to start singing a hymn when an attendee has a medical event? It was fairly easy for candidate Obama to have a woman feint in his presence when he was on the campaign trail, but as I recall, no one in his audience broke into singing hymns.

nomorecatering
FO
FO

#3267 Post by nomorecatering » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Remember when a tan suit, golf and campaigning while in office was an outrage. Now nothing matters.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3268 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:34 pm

I think it's so funny that people feel obliged to 'register' their voting intentions.

That doesn't happen in democracies.

When Zimbabwe became a democracy the UK gumment hired a bunch of UK helicopters (mostly Jetbangers) to fly the ballot boxes to Salisbury (as it was still called by the white folk) from the bush polling stations. It was the only time I ever flew with a loaded pistol on my hip.

The British Army set up the tented polling booths arrays. There were two huge tents at each station. The CSM who was showing me around one of the stations during the rehearsals a couple of days before the vote drily remarked that there were two: one for the Zanu voters; and one for the Zapu voters.

Slasher

#3269 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:04 am

Investment-wise a gridlock isn't a bad thing Ben. The Dems can't really screw the system nor dismantle any of Trump's business friendly initiatives. But at the same time the Republicans won't be able to successfully introduce new reforms. Thus the present status quo will remain in place at least until 2020 where I've been informed the Democrats can begin winding back the Presudent's initiatives and wreck the economy. That's a 2 year breathing space, so I'll stay in the Dow for the time being (which I think will pick up) but I doubt now the S&P 500 will make up for lost ground.

At this point I'm assuming a severe recession towards the end of 2020 unless Italy and the EU and/or Brexit causalities bring it on earlier.

BTW...not that I GAF but WTF is wrong with Pelosi? She's an idiot but last night she's more idioter than usual.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3270 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 am

Also watched the Trump rally at Cape Girardeau, MO - birthplace of Rush Limbaugh. The part that sticks with me was when a member of the audience was stricken and passed out. President Trump stopped the program until she was taken care of by medics. The crowd spontaneously started singing 'Amazing Grace' - they all knew the words.

Oh the emotion! =))

Some of them might have known the words but singing about "grace" at a Trump rally is like praying for virginity in a brothel.

Knowing the words is vastly different to understanding the context and meaning of that song.

Caco

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#3271 Post by Jetex Jim » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:20 am

As of 2:00am ET the Democrates have 210 seats, gained 26 seats and the GOP has 191, lost 26 seats.

Let the impeachment procedures begin...
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3272 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 am

in # 3251 I wrote:Yes, Atom. I feel fairly sure he will retain both houses this week.
- and believe me, I'm VERY happy to be wrong. Thank the Lord there is still hope for the majority of the American people. As a commentator said today - "The US is a democracy, not a monarchy".

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3273 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 am

The fallacious meme that the US is a democracy is amazingly tenacious.

The US is a fascist country whose structure, both in form and in function, is firmly based on that of Rome.

The founding fathers would have been appalled at democracy breaking out. That's why you won't find that Athenian word anywhere in the constitution or in the declaration of independence.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3274 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:22 am

The Democrats have managed to poke a stick into the spokes of Trump and the Republican's obscene bicycle, but without clear leadership will they be able to take the handlebars of power in the next election?

Caco

Slasher

#3275 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:24 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 am
The fallacious meme that the US is a democracy is amazingly tenacious.
I have to agree with you Mr Plum. Americans are tricked into 'volunteering' to pay Federal taxes whether a 'US person' or not, and whether living overseas or not. You only have to look at W-8 W-9 and other IRS forms through devious wording that would cause one to be guilty of perjury.

On the 4th July this year my fellow Yank expats in the Gulf didn't give one iota of sh!t about it. They regard the 'celebration' as a sick joke. Most there are US nationals (i.e. no longer 'US citizens') and about four of them have held Panama passports since the pre 'Papers' era.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3276 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am

There are a surprising number of US nationals living in South Africa these days, or Cape Town anyway. My ex-wife's neighbours are American and she house sits for them in the winter when they are either living in their other place in Belize or in Florida! Both nice folks with a complex tax arrangement that is best not discussed! ;)))

One of my best friends in Cape Town has become hugely serious about a young, very good looking, American lady who spends most of the year with him in Cape Town these days. I should get her to post here, she is BenThere's nightmare, liberal, intelligent, she has a doctorate in history and is Californian and likes Cape Town because it has similarities to where she lives in terms of weather and geography. What's not to like about such folks! ;)))

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3277 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 am

Oh the emotion! =))

Some of them might have known the words but singing about "grace" at a Trump rally is like praying for virginity in a brothel.

Knowing the words is vastly different to understanding the context and meaning of that song.

Caco
Talking of Republicans and brothels...
A deceased brothel owner and reality television star has won a state assembly seat in Nevada in the midterm elections.

Dennis Hof, who owned seven legal brothels in the state, died last month during his 72nd birthday celebrations.

His body was found on 16 October at his Love Ranch, in Crystal, Nevada.

Brothel owner and reality TV star Dennis Hof dies, aged 72

The aspiring politician called himself "the Trump of Pahrump”, after the town he hoped to represent.

He also wrote a book called The Art Of The Pimp, playing on the title of Donald Trump's own book The Art Of The Deal.

Hof posthumously defeated Democratic school administrator Lesia Romanov on Tuesday, according to The Nevada Independent.

"My man Dennis Hof crushed his opponent from the great beyond," Chuck Muth, his campaign manager, wrote on Twitter.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 21461.html

The best little whore house in Lyon County.JPG
The best little whore house in Lyon County.JPG (33.67 KiB) Viewed 249 times

Only in America! =))

Caco

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3278 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:46 pm

=))

Americans are always at their funniest when they don't know how funny they are!

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3279 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:34 pm
When Zimbabwe became a democracy the UK gumment hired a bunch of UK helicopters (mostly Jetbangers) to fly the ballot boxes to Salisbury (as it was still called by the white folk) from the bush polling stations. It was the only time I ever flew with a loaded pistol on my hip.

The British Army set up the tented polling booths arrays. There were two huge tents at each station. The CSM who was showing me around one of the stations during the rehearsals a couple of days before the vote drily remarked that there were two: one for the Zanu voters; and one for the Zapu voters.
You and I probably know each other Mr Plum. I was flying one of those 10 JetBangers in 1980 - my allocation was the NE corner of the country from Salisbury out to the Mozambique border. I sometimes had an armed soldier in the back but never had a pistol. I did sit on my flak jacket on occasion to protect the family jewels. :))
Rhodesia-009.jpg
Rhodesia-009.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 228 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3280 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Veldskoene with socks! @-)
Veldeskoene.JPG
Veldeskoene.JPG (4.46 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Oh the shame!

=))

Real Rhodies don't eat quiche or wear socks with their velskoene

I have given myself a klap for the veldskoen thing. Velskoene.

;)))

Caco