The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#5221 Post by AtomKraft » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:13 am

Ben.
Your arrogance is breathtaking. Surpassed only by your ignorance.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5222 Post by BenThere » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:44 am

our arrogance is breathtaking. Surpassed only by your ignorance.
So is yours.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5223 Post by John Hill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:44 am

Ben, some of the very many things that America invented include: The wheel, fire, bows and arrows, stone tools......the list is endless.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5224 Post by llondel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 am

BenThere wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 am
Funny how all these innovations seem to come from America.
It was a few years ago, admittedly, but I remember a report that reckoned that the US and Japan were each responsible for about 22% of good ideas but that over 40% originated in the UK. what gives the US bias is the number of UK inventors that had to get US funding because UK banks and other sources of finance wouldn't given them any. That's where the US scores big, people aren't afraid to fail because if you don't try you'll never succeed.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

He does't know his Bardeen from his Shockley

#5225 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 am

It is just as well that the adder circuits in the Intel series of chips are more accurate and retain their binary settings longer than the Benster, who seems unable to remember the true chronology and history of Intel's technology, American as that particular company may be.

Intel's Gordon Moore, he of Moore's Law fame, initially worked for the unpleasant William Shockley, formerly of Bell Labs, who, despite his attempts to write John Bardeen and Walter Brattain out of history, is noted with the two aforementioned men as the co-inventors of the transistor.

The truth, in fact, is even more fuzzy because many more people at Bell Labs were involved in the invention and their work was based upon earlier British and German research. Look up the history of German physicists Herbert F. Mataré and Heinrich Welker for the European perspective and a more nuanced understanding of this story than the Benster's rather garbled and parochial narrative might suggest.

While he is driveling on, our flower pot man Ben might want to look up the history of the Ferranti Mark 1 computer, designed and built in rainy Manchester (yes that's in England Mr Ben) which was was the world's first commercially available general-purpose electronic computer, beating the American designed UNIVAC 1 into operational service by some months.

If Bill (or Ben) looks at his cell/mobile phone which is likely to have been built in Korea or China, on behalf of some rapacious US multinational, it is highly likely that it will be using a chip set invented at Cambridge (the British Cambridge Mr Flower Pot man) University, the patents now owned by ARM Holdings who are based in the good old UK.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5226 Post by John Hill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 am

Lets see now, 22+22+40 =16%

Yes 16% to share between countries and civilizations such as India (pioneers in metal working), Greeks and Romans who gave us so much, Germany for the development of so much not just jet engines and liquid fueled rockets even the humble motor car first saw the light in Germany, then there was Russia which gave us such things as the caterpillar tracked vehicles and the combine harvester. Arabs for our understanding of numeracy. Not to forget the French of course, just why do you think so many aircraft parts are given French names?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5227 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:07 am

And tyres were invented by Mr Dunlop. not Mr Goodyear.

I started to write a list here of Scottish inventions, but when I looked up Wiki (not invented by a Scotsman or Al Gore, but never mind) to check my facts I found that the list is too long to post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_ ... iscoveries

I learned that in Scotland Irn Bru outsells CocabloodyCola and Pepsi combined. The Irn Bru marketing wonks also do a good job of ripping the piss out of the Septics in some of their ads:

Oh yes, and then there's the Glescae Kiss.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: He does't know his Bardeen from his Shockley

#5228 Post by ian16th » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:23 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 am

While he is driveling on, our flower pot man Ben might want to look up the history of the Ferranti Mark 1 computer, designed and built in rainy Manchester (yes that's in England Mr Ben) which was was the world's first commercially available general-purpose electronic computer, beating the American designed UNIVAC 1 into operational service by some months.

Mustn't forget the product of corner shop tea rooms; Lyons Electronic Office.
Cynicism improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5229 Post by ian16th » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 am

BenThere wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 am
Foolishly, IBM sold off its personal computer operating system franchise to Microsoft, who worked it up to build a company that turned out to be much, much larger than IBM.
IBM never owned the DOS operating system.
The big mistake was they bought a licence to use it from Microsoft, but the didn't buy and exclusive licence, which Microsoft were willing to let them have.

The IBM people involved simply did not understand the personal computer market.
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5230 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:36 am

ian16th wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 am
IBM never owned the DOS operating system.
The big mistake was they bought a licence to use it from Microsoft, but the didn't buy and exclusive licence, which Microsoft were willing to let them have.

The IBM people involved simply did not understand the personal computer market.
Absolutely right!

The story of Microsoft's purchase of the rights to DOS from Seattle Software Products is fascinating ...

Seattle Software Products

The story also includes how a spam can flight might have cost one of the parties a fortune when the big wigs at IBM were kept waiting and flounced out of Digital Research's office and visited an unknown little company known as Microsoft.

How Microsoft got the IBM DOS contract

The other aviation related link to the IBM PC is that its primary advocate at IBM was sadly killed in an aircraft crash.

Remembering 'Don' Estridge

All part of US corporate history.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5231 Post by BenThere » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Okay, so all these great innovations came from other than the US. How is it then, that the huge corporations selling the stuff to the world, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and such, are American? Life is so unfair!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5232 Post by llondel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 pm

John Hill wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 am
Lets see now, 22+22+40 =16%

Yes 16% to share between countries and civilizations such as India (pioneers in metal working), Greeks and Romans who gave us so much, Germany for the development of so much not just jet engines and liquid fueled rockets even the humble motor car first saw the light in Germany, then there was Russia which gave us such things as the caterpillar tracked vehicles and the combine harvester. Arabs for our understanding of numeracy. Not to forget the French of course, just why do you think so many aircraft parts are given French names?
It wasn't an all-time list, I think it reflected the few years prior to the study. I doubt if the UK is up there now though.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5233 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Ben wrote:Okay, so all these great innovations came from other than the US. How is it then, that the huge corporations selling the stuff to the world, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and such, are American? Life is so unfair!
You have to ask? As before, Ben this merely reinforces my suggestion that you should get your money back on your MBA, wherever you bought it.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5234 Post by BenThere » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 pm

I don't need degree anymore, and never really used it for career purposes anyway - I made my living flying airplanes for USAF and Delta. I did use it to build my estate however, and manage the finances of my close relatives, and I consider that investment to have yielded a fair return.

You don't need a degree, and I don't know if you have one, to google the world's largest market cap corporations. The list you will read is mostly American companies. That's essentially the point I was making all along.

I got a kick out of John Hill thinking the US existed when the wheel, fire, etc. were developed. Talk about historical cluelessness, his post may be the most egregious example I've ever encountered.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5235 Post by John Hill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:15 pm

I am pretty sure Ben that if you ask around you will find that everything was invented in the USofA.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5236 Post by BenThere » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Stop digging!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5237 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Now Chump tells us that the reason why he looks orange is because of energy-efficient lightbulbs.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5238 Post by llondel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:31 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 pm
Stop digging!
Sorry Ben, I think you're playing well into the British stereotype that Americans don't understand our sarcasm.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5239 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:16 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 pm
Now Chump tells us that the reason why he looks orange is because of energy-efficient lightbulbs.
Whereas any fule kno his strange unnatural glow is due to more spray tan than is to be found on the average Essex slapper's arse!

His excuse is more flimsy than the broken filament in a Swan lightbulb! Perhaps they can rewire his brain in the same way they resew his dubious yellow wig hairs.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Bob
Capt
Capt

#5240 Post by Bob » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:39 am

I see the arsehole is going to save bio-diversity in the rain forest by encouraging private investment into developing the rain forest

Either the arsehole is truley deranged and needs help or he is truley an uncaring thug who sees the world as a commodity, I tend towards the second appraisal.

BenT, have you been advising the arsehole?
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access