The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Seenenough

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#4621 Post by Seenenough » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am
Ben wrote:One of President Trump's strengths is that he is accustomed to doing battle with, and dispatching, snakes.
- that's what Snake Oil is for.

I see $1billion goes out of the defence budget to build the beautiful wall.

........ and the Congress was not able to overturn Trump's Veto.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4622 Post by BenThere » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Yet another snake dispatched. Today the Pentagon sent $1 billion to the wall fund.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4623 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:35 pm

It's just another billion dollars of puff-money, pissed against a wall.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4624 Post by Boac » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 pm

First quarter GDP guesses, Chumpers? (and others, of course). I'm shooting for just over 2.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4625 Post by Boac » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 pm

On March 26, President Donald Trump signed an executive order aimed at preparing the US to withstand an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack. "Human-made or naturally occurring EMPs can affect large geographic areas, disrupting elements critical to the Nation's security and economic prosperity, and could adversely affect global commerce and stability," Trump's order stated. "The Federal Government must foster sustainable, efficient, and cost-effective approaches to improving the Nation's resilience to the effects of EMPs."

I'll vote for that, Don.

Seenenough

#4626 Post by Seenenough » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 pm
First quarter GDP guesses, Chumpers? (and others, of course). I'm shooting for just over 2.
Very much better than Germany,France,Italy,Spain and the UK will do ,is my guess Bo

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4627 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:31 am

The new Chump plan has been launched by half-pence. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/put- ... -rn2rpqpts

The White House is denying reports that the first mission is to be crewed by Democrats and that the Chump has had to opt out due to a recurrence of those darned 'Bone-spurs'.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4628 Post by BenThere » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:48 am

Excellent point, Seenenough.

The US GDP did slow last quarter, and at least some of that slowing must be attributed to the House of Representatives, where the money is spent, flipping to Democrat control, reducing expectations, expansion plans, and optimism among the elements that drive economic growth. Further, economic growth lulls commonly occur even during robust expansionary eras. While it is characteristic for Boac to seize on the few economic data points that might diminish the Trump administration, I suggest not coming to conclusions based on one quarter of economic data but allow a rolling annual accumulation to reveal itself to avoid jumping to erroneous conclusions.

As Seenenough points out, 2.1% growth is comparatively not that bad among advanced industrial economies, a fact that seems to have eluded Boac's scrutiny.

https://tradingeconomics.com/european-u ... rowth-rate.

The fact is that US economic performance is remarkably better than we have seen so far in the 21st century, and includes substantial improvements in unemployment, increased labor participation, and a substantial majority of voters approving of the administration's overall economic performance. And the administration didn't have $1 trillion a year of quantitative easing and close to zero interest rates to goose the results and hide a continued recession so as to look like an expansion. Today's US economic performance is the real deal. Times are good. Another consideration is that with a roughly $20 trillion GDP, moving the needle even 2.1% means over $400 billion in increased economic activity.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4629 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 pm

Hmm. No-one else prepared to forecast. We will then, wait for the economic miracle. Incidentally, Ben 'the price of tea in China' is of little relevance as they say (but don't mention 6%+ en passant...) - I thought this thread was called 'The US Hamster Wheel', not "The Germany,France,Italy,Spain and the UK Hamster Wheel? However, since you are touching on that, no, the GDP growth rate is poor in Europe, but I'm not aware that we brag about it.

It is all about purse-making and Sows' ears.

Seenenough

#4630 Post by Seenenough » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:42 pm

It would seem that Hillary Clinton has vanished as the press are unable to find her to hear what she has to say about Mueller's findings that no collusion took place.

Also this morning we heard Karl Rove calling for Trump to leave things and move on which no one should be surprised to hear.Rove and his cabal of Never Trumpers (McCain,Romney and Crew) were as thick as thieves in the distribution of the dossier to try and stop Trump from winning the election and then later to unseat him from the Presidency.

I think that the documents that Trump will declassify will leave us with no doubt that a Coup was attempted by Obama,the Clintons,lynch, the heads of the major intel agencies and the Never Trumpers in the GOP.

Slasher

#4631 Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 am

As an aside, I thought this was quite interesting - especially if one looks at America in 2019 with Dem commie rats like Sanders, Occasional Cortex et al currently 'in vogue'. Fox3, Ben and Seen may recall the interview.

Link was sent to me by a Yank at my old mob in the ME. The whole vid is good, but especially take note from 7.00 onwards, with the view of 2019.

Remember the interview was made 34 years ago in 1985.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4632 Post by John Hill » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 am

Communist takeover? Whatever happened to the imminent invasion by blood lusting followers of Islam?

I do wish he could pick one bogeyman before inventing (or resurrecting) more!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Slasher

#4633 Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:56 am

Dunno what you wrote* Hill but I'm sure it's something diversionary and not directly addressing my post.

Another snippet. This time sent from my Texan mate....

* I peeked. And yep I was right. :))

Seenenough

#4634 Post by Seenenough » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Should we be worried-Caco has had nothing to say on several threads for days now which is not like him.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4635 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Hmm - a bit out of touch? Try a search for 'Caco'?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4636 Post by BenThere » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm

So when I woke up this morning and began my usual routine of scanning the news and checking in here I was quite surprised to come across this article published by The Nation, which I regard as America's equivalent to The Guardian along the political spectrum. It's left wing.

Surprisingly, the author takes a look at the Mueller investigation results with an unexpected clarity and insight. Who'd have thought?

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-r ... ussiagate/

Perhaps this points to the real scandal of 2016, that ultra-senior government officials at the top of key institutions, conspired to interfere in the election, and after that endeavored to reverse it. Personally, I suspect the criminal subversion probably included AG Lynch,, Clapper and Brennon, candidate Clinton, and likely even the former president, and I would love to see an examination equal to the Mueller inquiry to take a long, hard look at it. Senator Graham seems to be on it.

Slasher

#4637 Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:31 pm
Should we be worried-Caco has had nothing to say on several threads for days now which is not like him.
Caco announced he was leaving a couple of weeks ago Seen. Have emailed each other since. He's left for good unfortunately.

Seenenough

#4638 Post by Seenenough » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:27 am

That is sad-I did not see that he had said he is out of here.

Slasher

#4639 Post by Slasher » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:49 am

Yeh me too Seen. He's a leftie to a degree but he always presented his case properly and accepted constructive criticism, and never really insulted the criticiser. He never dodged the critique but squarely responded to it.

Although he rubbished Ben a lot he did tell me it was mainly to get a debate started with him. He has no hatred towards Ben at all.

I might Skype him tomorrow.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4640 Post by BenThere » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:22 am

I wasn't aware Caco had checked out. Sorry to see that. We were adversaries, and at times he strayed out of line, but he did provide stimulating discourse. I hope his leaving wasn't due to health, dementia or somesuch, and hope he comes back.

This site is good, but we need all the participants we can get to keep it viable. When we lose one it hurts.