Petition to disallow Trump from meeting the Queen or Prince of Wales

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Cacophonix

Re: Petition to disallow Trump from meeting the Queen or Prince of Wales

#41 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:31 am

only second to Afrikaaners from the Vrystate.

Harsh, harsh, but not totally unfair! :)

I am not a great fan of Israel and her modus operandi either mind.

Still I am not keen to blanket ban people from any country from the UK (and anywhere else for that matter) because I believe that it is only by communication and dialogue that we move forward in this miserable, divided and divisive world of ours!

As far as I am concerned even Mr Trump, the 'divine' orange Naartjie, should be allowed to come to the UK if he must, but I cavil at the thought that he will be feted by this government and given a state honour in the great hall and his overblown ego further inflated by his meeting with the Queen.

Theresa May makes Britain look a desperate grey haired old trollop showing her knickers on a street corner in her desperate efforts for trade. Trump's invite is but one symptom of this unseemly desperation to ingratiate ourselves with the new bigoted US dispensation and demeans us all here in the UK.

Come the day, Her Majesty will no doubt grin and bear his odious company, she has met worse in the past (but not a lot worse) and the whole painful experience will be over in an hour or two which is more than can be said for the citizens of the USA (and the world) who may have to put up with this fool and his manifestly extreme, incompetent and unseemly regime for another four years!

Caco

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 am

....... she has met worse in the past (but not a lot worse) .......

There was a BBC Doco. some years ago about her life and times, in which she took some part, and there was a feature about a Presentation event, where she awaited those to be honoured and eventually announced by an equerry, who having seen the previous recipient out came back and said to H.M. quote .. the next one's an ape ... She went on to say ... then this ape appeared at the door ... apparently some African celebrity. She must have a lot of fun, sometimes !!

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Magnus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 am

Sorry, Chuks and Alison, bit of a brainfart there.

Sisemen

#44 Post by Sisemen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 am

Second that ^^^^

Capetonian

#45 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

My experience has been that Israelis are the one of the most arrogant and belligerent peoples there are, only second to Afrikaaners from the Vrystate. They didn't once call Jo'burg Jewsburg for no reason. Israel is also only second to Japan in the inherent racism of government legislation.

I'd agree with regard to the Israelis, awful bloody people (for the avoidance of doubt, I refer to Israelis and not Jews).

Vrystaat Afrikaners, I have found them to be wonderful generous people, but I'm white, which may make a difference, and I've made the effort to learn and speak a bit of Afrikaans.

The Japanese aren't racist as such, they prefer to keep their race pure and they tend not to cross breed. Nothing wrong with that. They don't treat outsiders badly, they just prefer to limit the numbers of them in their country.

Sisemen

#46 Post by Sisemen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:10 am

They don't treat outsiders badly ...... now.

There, fixed it for you!

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by Magnus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:24 am

Got a couple of Israeli mates; decent blokes, and one is the most capable physicist I've met.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 am

The Japanese aren't racist as such, they prefer to keep their race pure and they tend not to cross breed. Nothing wrong with that. They don't treat outsiders badly, they just prefer to limit the numbers of them in their country.

As someone who spends three months of every year there and has done so for the past four years, I would tend to agree.

they prefer to keep their race pure and they tend not to cross breed. Nothing wrong with that

Yes, but..... Some Japanese people I have met would not even think of being involved with a 'round eye,' although I have also met a few Japanese Ladies with whom the attraction was mutual. And I was once, to my great surprise on one memorable occasion, 'felt up' :ymdevil: by an elderly Japanese Lady, who had the most wicked grin on her face as she did so! :D

they just prefer to limit the numbers of them in their country.

[/quote]

I see no problem with that!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by BenThere » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:26 pm

And Japanese are polite as can be. At first I found it a bit unsettling walking into a shop to be greeted with heel-clicking "Hai!" and the clerk standing at attention. I don't like being made a fuss over by someone who has no way of knowing how great I am. But I figured out it was trait of Japanese culture that you respect others. Failure to do so is unmannerly.

I've written before about my first encounter with Japan way back in the old air force days. I flew into Kadina AFB in a KC-135, 1980 or so. After parking the aircraft, I stood at the cargo door as the air stairs were wheeled up. The first two up the stairs were Okinawans, about five feet tall, there to service our 'honey bucket' latrine. On the way over the Pacific I had been reading the state department pamphlet given to us about Japan, which included a brief on customs, courtesies, and cultural peculiarities. There was a short passage on bowing. So when these two young men approached me, I offered a slight head bow to show my respect. Their response was to stop in their tracks and bow so deeply as to kiss the stairway. I certainly didn't anticipate that. I told the USAF major who drove us from the ramp to ops what happened and learned that my status as a USAF pilot was high, while the workers' was very low. When I bowed to them I compelled them to show their utmost respect. I didn't screw around with bowing much after that; just a slight nod is all you need and that has been appreciated on my many subsequent trips to Japan.

I like the Japanese I've met both living in California and in Japan. Polite, high work ethic, sense of honor, and other positive traits characterize the generality. I know, though, that deep inside they consider me to be a barbarian.

Capetonian

#50 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm

My father, who served in Burma during WW2, had a passionate hatred of the Japanese, with which I was brought up. In my forties, I was fortunate enough to go to Japan and loved it and saw a very different and positive side of the Japanese.

Cacophonix

#51 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:27 pm

I have never been to Japan but am fascinated by Japanese culture and look forward to travelling to that beautiful looking country one day.

Went to school with a couple of Japanese guys and they were top blokes with a very different culture but they played good rugby which made them very popular in South Africa (even though they were 'honorary whites' back in the old Apartheid South Africa).

Caco

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by BenThere » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:55 pm

Japan is beautiful. Land is a scarce commodity and they make the best use of it. You won't see scraggly, untended fields like those around where I live. If the land is open or forested, someone is tending it lovingly. Japanese gardens and zen retreats are a refuge of peace with nature. Industrial space is squared away with precision. Nothing is wasted. In the cities, restaurants and shops make use of every square foot of precious space.

I've flown into Kansai, the Osaka airport, many times. It is one of the engineering marvels of the world, built on a man-made island, resistant to seismic upheavals, and designed and organized for unbelievable efficiency. It's slowly sinking, though. Japanese engineers are trying to figure out how to keep it jacked up, and I'm confident they will.

Sisemen

#53 Post by Sisemen » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:39 pm

From the Daily Telegraph Facebook site:

Off Topic
A greater number of Britons are in favour of Donald Trump’s state visit than oppose it, according to new polling data from YouGov.

When asked whether they thought the visit should go ahead or be cancelled, 49 per cent of British adults were in favour of the visit, compared to just 36 per cent who were against it.

Capetonian

#54 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 pm

The same nation who were smart enough to vote to leave the Evil Union.

Capetonian

#55 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Theresa May's riposte to Corbyn :
"He can lead a protest. I'm leading a country."

I like this lady more and more.

Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Chuks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Let Betty do that thing with the sword, but for reals! "Kneel, Sir Donald .... " Whack! He'll never know what hit him ....

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by om15 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:24 pm

I must admit that I was rather luke warm regarding the possible Presidency of the enthusiastic and well turned out Mr Trump.
However, he has done exactly what he said he would do, a high proportion of American citizens support him, and I am very glad that Mrs May has invited him here for tea.
I am rather vexed that many citizens of the United Kingdom (many of whom were not born here) are so impolite as to use their leisure hours to make such a commotion in the streets.
The tide has turned, and I'm all for it, I might possibly write to the White House requesting a signed photograph that I can enlarge and distribute amongst the anguished lefties.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#58 Post by Stoneboat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:32 am

The tide has turned, and I'm all for it, I might possibly write to the White House requesting a signed photograph that I can enlarge and distribute amongst the anguished lefties.

For God's sake man, don't do it. They'll all be triggered at once and there'll never be enough safe spaces to accommodate them. :p

Slasher

#59 Post by Slasher » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:59 am

Let Betty do that thing with the sword

Hmm. Question....

Are Liz and Betty both acceptable abbreviations of Elizabeth? Or is one more acceptabler than the other?

Seems Liz is more an Antipodean thing whereas the other is more a pom / yank thing. Just askin'.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Are Liz and Betty both acceptable abbreviations of Elizabeth?

Sir, you are an unmitigated bounder:

She is called "The Queen" Nota Bene, there is only one and she's it. (Disregard queens with a small 'q' currently being prosecuted for fraud, embezzlement, skullduggery and hands-in-the pockets-of-charities etc in Spain).

Or "Her Majesty".

'Liz' and 'Betty' are NEVER used.

'Brenda' is, though, but not by nice people.