Chaos in Africa

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Chaos in Africa

#1 Post by OFSO » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Report on Sky News this morning: an attempt to get Kenyan mothers to use a sterilising gell on the cuts ends of the umbilical cord after birth, rather than what they use now, which is (and I quote from Sky News) a mixture of gecko dung and dust from the floor. Seemingly this results in a high newborn death rate due to infection. Who'd have thought it ?

Sky News says this will increase the baby's survival chances by some huge factor. No mention of improving the African infrastructure to support all those extra new babies.

Capetonian

Re: Chaos in Africa

#2 Post by Capetonian » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 pm

When I read 'sterilising gel' I thought you meant something to make them sterile and thus prevent further breeding.
That would be a solution. No such wisdom prevails in Africa.

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by obgraham » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:39 pm

I spent a bit of time in Malawi on a medical trip, considerable part of which was a bit of basic maternal/child education. I gave several classes for "traditional birth attendants", and found that though they were completely untrained and tribalistic in their practices, they really did want to learn how to help their women safely.

The main point of my class was "there is no reason at all -- ever -- to stuff any concoction of any sort into the reproductive parts of any woman." It was incredible what they would stuff in during and after the childbirth process. Probably the big reason why the Central Hospital there had a "Tetanus Ward", something not seen in western places for 150 years.

Slasher

#4 Post by Slasher » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:12 am

Interesting aspect as to why Africa is fuct.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 am

Slasher, thanks for the clip, rather interesting to see. And it may be useful on the immigration threads.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:50 am

Too many laws and too complex a tax code does not distinguish African countries from the rest of the World. ;)))

Slasher

#7 Post by Slasher » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:38 am

I think it does Fox if you throw endemic corruption into the mix laced with cultural tribality.