Shale oil and fracking

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Shale oil and fracking

#61 Post by Chuks » Sat May 06, 2017 4:54 pm

If you want to question Dr. Samuel Johnson, Magnus, feel free to do so. I merely quoted the great man, verbatim.

I think that Dr. Johnson's "Scotchman" there was simply an archaic form of today's "Scotsman."

You will kindly note that the Romans at least attempted to civilize the Germans. With the Scots they simply built a wall between Britannia and Hibernia and then left them to their own devices. I think that is very significant.

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#62 Post by obgraham » Sat May 06, 2017 9:17 pm

HIbernia, Chuks?? Just where was this wall?

Aren't you the one insisting on purity of speech?

Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by Chuks » Sun May 07, 2017 3:59 am

Hibernia, Caledonia ... one of them, anyway. Kind of like mixing up Iraq with Syria, wasn't that? Sorry about that.

Anyway, it was two walls, between Britannia and Caledonia, just to make sure. I think that says something about the Scots.

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#64 Post by obgraham » Sun May 07, 2017 5:00 am

I dunno, Chuks, I never mixed up Iraq and Syria. Or Ireland and Scotland.

Geography is not that tough!

Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by Chuks » Sun May 07, 2017 5:19 am

It is for Donald Trump. And me too, I guess. Bring the Cone of Shame and make the most of my latest mistake.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by BenThere » Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Digging this thread from the bottom of the page, Chuks, just what geographical mistake has President Trump made in your view? Anything comparable to the 57 states or 'I don't speak Austrian' gaffes?

Slasher

#67 Post by Slasher » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:02 am

Getting back to Ben's first post on page 1, I'm really amazed at the Industry's resolve to cut costs and make the whole process viable at under $50 bbl (and actually do it) in such relatively short time. I could've got in at the investment ground floor but I didn't think it could adjust and adapt at all.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by BenThere » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 pm

The OPEC world is crumbling. The US is gushing oil and natural gas, our pipelines are brimming, the price of energy is going to keep coming down. After 50 years, the energyworld is normalizing.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Slasher, the last 20 years' worth of politicians and media have simply no idea about science and engineering, so they refuse to talk about it, so you don't know.
For example, the CERN Large Hadron Collider requires the largest computer network the world has ever seen, and key conceptual problems (never mind the implementation) still existed a year before switch-on. I spoke to some of the people working on it at the time. They were all quite confident they knew in which direction to research for the solution, but any politician or business economist would have had a fit. They seem to have forgotten that CERN invented the World Wide Web in their spare time.
The only thing sci/tech needs to progress faster is for the Government to f#ck off, to be blunt.