A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

Re: Chaos in Scotland

#21 Post by Jetex Jim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 pm
I expect England will call itself England.
The rest will be FUK'ed ;)))
Maybe, I guess we'll see. But in any case haven't you taken the wise precaution of migrating?
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:00 pm

I have indeed, left the UK 10 years ago by the traditional means, a sailing ship!

compo
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by compo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 pm

The truly traditional emigrant travelled in the hold, in irons.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 pm

That was just Oz.
Although by 1966, you could travel in a steamer cabin, for £10. I know, I did.
The Canadians, certainly round here, mostly came from the UK to escape worsening land tenure conditions (such as the Highland Clearances - my nearest hamlet is called MacDougall). They generally paid their passage, sometimes with help from the Church. In fact this rather miffed the UK landowners, who were then short of labour. PEI was very well settled before the famines of the mid-19th Century, and so the Maritimes in general are populated by descendants of capable farmers and fishermen with some initiative. On average, around 2% of tenant farmers emigrated. The same applies to the Acadians who were already here, and indeed the First Nations. The problems of land tenure followed the emigrants to a certain extent, and it was a condition of agreeing to Confederation that the Federal Government buy out the absentee British landlords and resell to the resident farm leaseholders at a reasonable (lower) rate.
The locals of all origins are thus inclined to avoid taxation, avoid Government involvement in anything, and help each other. We expect the Government to fix the roads, and otherwise Foxtrot Oscar. I love it ;)))

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#25 Post by Jetex Jim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 am

Losing NI and Scotland from the Union is arithmetically in the interests of the Conservative party.
The Tories have 13 of Scotland's 59 seats and none in NI, the DUP have 10 out of 18.

Even losing Wales would be a net gain, Welsh Conservative party has just 11 seats out of 40.

Finally, it's all starting to make sense. If the Conservatives succeed in their FUK project they can rule for a thousand years.
Persuading working people to vote against their own best interests is the primary focus of conservative politics.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by AtomKraft » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:06 am

Hey Siseman.
Voters in the Indy ref' were certainly swayed by project fear. No doubt about it.

What I thought was rather sad, is how it seemed to come down to money. Will we be slightly worse off, or slightly better off if we become independent?

I would have thought a referendum with very long term consequences, which that one clearly had, should have been about, "do we prefer to run our own affairs, again- or shall we continue to let England do it for us".

I remain firmly of the view that Scotland will gain its independence again, but not so sure that I'll live to see it.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 am

Jim, it's the Conservative and Unionist Party, so de-Unionization is not in their interests.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by om15 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 pm

The SNP are increasing the insidious drive to bit by bit disassociate Scotland from the UK supported by their Press, headline in "The Scotsman" tonight says " The UK and Scotland battered by high winds", the inference being that Scotland is separate from the UK.
However I read that there is a hard core of Scots (currently the majority) who are seriously questioning the rhetoric from the SNP, in particular the finances of independence, I don't think that Project Fear swayed many, despite the potential of Brexit increasing support the SNP just can't seem to run with the ball on this.

I suspect Independence is a dead duck, simply because the Scots can't trust the SNP not to cock it up.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 pm

What has the SNP ever done for us?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Well, there's Rab C Nesbitt, haggis, dour detectives, venomous attacks on Englishmen, no taste in clothing, did we say haggis?

The SNP are much like the weather there, mostly dull and occasionally nasty.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 am

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:09 pm
Well, there's Rab C Nesbitt, haggis, dour detectives, venomous attacks on Englishmen,
The original Taggart was okay. The detective that came after him was a bit so-so.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by OFSO » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm

The deputy prime minister of Spain, Carmen Calvo, said yesterday in a broadcast interview that the the Scottish Independence Referendum never happened. When the interviewer pressed her on the matter she added that she also didn't believe the Brexit referendum had ever taken place, because "referendums are against democracy". So the clock has been wound back and we can start again.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#33 Post by Bob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 pm

The Scottish western coast, Islands and highlands can be wonderous, even the forced landing and the following 2 days holed up in a pub near argyll left fond memories.

But I am right behind any scots who want independence, I'd wave the lot of em bye bye with a huge smile on my face, perhaps we could persuade the Liverpuddlealiens to go join them, they also tirelessly bleat out the same sort of little village elitism and inverse snobbery, whilst loitering in the queue to cash their Giro
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 pm

"referendums are against democracy". So the clock has been wound back and we can start again.

In another generation, or in another lifetime, or next year if the referendum goes against them, or another referendum again if that one goes against them too. Keep flipping the coin until you get the result you want and then say "STOP!, we won!".

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by om15 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:04 pm

I don't find a similarity between the Scots and the Liverpudlians, having lived on and off in Scotland I find them to be very funny, think of "Still Game" and Rab C Nesbit, can you think of one Scouse comedy that is in any way funny?

If the SNP hadn't introduced higher tax, no drinking and driving, higher prices for cheap booze, higher house estate stamp duty and a social support of Police, Education and NHS that would fail to rival Argentina then Scotland would be a pretty good place to live, whereby probably Liverpool isn't.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:31 pm

can you think of one Scouse comedy that is in any way funny?
'The Liver Birds' was good.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:31 pm
can you think of one Scouse comedy that is in any way funny?
'The Liver Birds' was good.
....,. and so was Bread.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Carla Lane was very good all round. 'Butterflies' wasn't my thing, but highly praised by those whose thing it was.
I recall she was criticised for stereotyping scousers in Bread, in response to which she pointed out that she was a scouser, and that sterotypes exist for a reason, which is that they're bloody common characteristics.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Woody » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Alan Bleasdale ^:)^

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Jetex Jim
Capt
Capt

#40 Post by Jetex Jim » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 am
Jim, it's the Conservative and Unionist Party, so de-Unionization is not in their interests.
Maybe but,
Majority of Tory voters in England would be happy to see UK break up as price of Brexit, survey suggests
According to research by the Centre on Constitutional Change, which is based at Edinburgh University, Brexit is “dislodging long-held red lines about the [UK] union”. It says a majority of Conservative voters in England would prefer to press ahead with Brexit even if it led to the UK breaking up.
These figures suggest that 77% of Conservative voters in England think Brexit would be worth it even if it led to Scottish independence, and 73% of them think Brexit would be worth it even if it led to the unravelling of the Northern Ireland peace process. Labour and Lib Dem voters are much less likely to say that, meaning that the Conservative and Unionist party is now arguable far less unionist than its rivals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 77b41b05ed