Justine Damond shooting

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Justine Damond shooting

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 am

What the bloody hell is happening over there?

Whilst I haven't visited the US recently, I did get to spend many weeks, and once months there in the 1970's through 90's. Not overly rapt, but never considered it particularly dangerous. Whilst previously have flown to Europe from Oz via the US, now getting to think that perhaps the Middle East might be a safer route.

Alison

Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Justine Damond shooting

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:26 am

A police state or perhaps just a failing one! Any country that votes in a palooka like Trump is not to be trusted. God rest Justine Damond! Will her family get justice?

Caco

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:21 am

Heard about this whilst listening to the Aussie ABC radio news this morning `on the net.` It was stated that the Police Officer involved was seated in the Patrol car when he fired the fatal shot.

I smell something bad here.... :-? X( :-q There is far more to this! Suspect the the Aussie Government will not let this be swept under the carpet, and nor should they!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

A propos to nothing at all, the PO is reportedly a Somali immigrant.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 pm

I suspect this is due to PC bullsh!t, indirectly. It's driving all the sensible, reasonable people out of every job requiring judgement. Thus the only people you get left are the office weanies who only care about their careers; and the thugs who will ignore all the rules to get the results the weanies demand, because it's impossible to achieve the targets by following the rules. And as we know, the thugs never get checked up on by the weanies. And the thugs also know the weanies don't give a sh!t about them, and will cheerfully throw them under the bus if it suits their politics, so the thugs close ranks, look after themselves, and shoot first.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Shooter reported to be a Somali muslim, Mohamed Noor. Also reportedly a Community Service Officer, i.e. a student cop., being paid $16 an hour part-time whilst he completes an academic police officer course. City records show Noor already has 3 complaints against him and has been sued once.
Minneapolis was also where Philando Castile was shot dead by a cop for no good reason. The cop in that case was found not guilty of all charges, including second-degree manslaughter, and bribed* by the city to leave their employment the same day (they could not, of course, fire him, since he officially hadn't done anything wrong).
Also reported by the city that Justine was at the driver's door, and shot by the student cop from the passenger seat. Bet the regular cop driver was happy about that!

*"Voluntary separation agreement" was the phrase used. He got about $50,000
http://www.dw.com/en/police-officer-acq ... a-39634423

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by obgraham » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:19 pm

For Chrissake, Caco, what the hell does this sad event have to do with Trump?

If what Fox3 says above is true, more to do with misguided PC Lefty policies.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Why is 'Justine Damond' mentioned by name? Is he or she known widely?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:16 pm

The family have given statements, and her fiance and fiance's son. They all want answers.
The city is running very scared, as this guy is reportly the first Somali immigrant cop and his face has been all over the papers since he signed up 2 years ago, including with the Mayor, etc. Golden boy, can do no wrong, major effect on "community relations" etc. You know the standard BS. Also because of the Philando Castile shooting.

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by obgraham » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:48 pm

All you have to do is visit Minneapolis, or even just transit through the airport there. The service sector is dominated by Somalis. Integration into American society? Hardly. Most of them look like they are still living in a refugee camp in the sandpit.

What could possibly go wrong with such policies?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by BenThere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:55 pm

I don't think Black Lives Matter is going to get involved with this one. It doesn't fit the narrative.

Alison, it probably is best you avoid travel to or through the US. There is risk in the cities run by Democrats. In the hinterlands, though, run by Republicans, surrounded by armed, law-abiding citizens, you'd be OK.

It's your call whether you'd be safer in the Middle East. I'd think that one through if I were you.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Don't forget the risk of infectious diseases.
Minneapolis has 81% of its active TB cases generated by immigrants.
22% of all cases are Somalis, who represent less than 1% of the population.
That's one in 200 with active TB.
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1067 ... infectious
Germany has Hep B up 300% in 3 years. Only one German region now doesn't have a measles epidemic. That's the only one with almost no immigrants.
There are many cases where the infections are discovered only after the are transmitted to natives, as the tracking and health checking of migrants is so patchy.
A failed German asylum seeker was given sanctuary in a Bünsdorf church for 3 months, and allowed to play with the 50 kids in the daycare. He's now been diagnosed with a highly contagious form of TB.
https://www.shz.de/lokales/eckernfoerde ... 06331.html

Western Governments have no clue how many immigrants are in their countries, or what their state of health is.

And we haven't even mentioned hemorrhagic fevers...

BackToAllNightLights
Capt
Capt

#13 Post by BackToAllNightLights » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Hmm, one thought they were all given rigorous health checks during processing in the EU or the US. What has gone wrong?

"Noor holds a degree in business administration, management and economics from Augsburg College. Before joining the department, he worked in commercial and residential property management in Minneapolis and St. Louis, and was general manager of a hotel in Eden Prairie."

Not exactly good prerequisites for a career as a police officer but Noor said he had a "calling". He is one of five Somali-American POs in Minneapolis. I would think there is some "quota" system being promoted in the police force in order to improve community relations..
History does Not repeat itself through time. It does however, sometimes rhyme.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Suggestions as to what has gone wrong:
Illegal migrants - more of a problem in Europe, but many MENA migrants get over the Mexican/US border, encouraged to do so by the Mexican Government.
http://mobile.wnd.com/2017/01/mexico-gi ... -s-border/
Overstays: migrants who come on student or tourist visas (which don't need full medicals) then disappear.
Canada screens every immigrant before they leave the home country (I was). Elsewhere, I don't know.
Spreading of the disease from illegals within the communities they hide in.
System overload, immigrants may be waiting months for screening, but are certainly not being isolated until then.
Contraction of TB from screened immigrants who revisit the home country, where it is endemic.

Estimated by the utility companies and supermarkets, there are 4-5 million more people in the UK than the Government admits to. This has been hushed up. It's not a small problem. The Schengen countries on the mainland have absolutely no idea how many illegal migrants there are.
I am not aware that any country is actively searching for any migrant who has disappeared/overstayed/whatever. Action is only taken if the are caught committing a crime. Maybe. The UK gives up as soon as the person is not at the stated address.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by John Hill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:54 pm

BenThere wrote:. In the hinterlands, though, run by Republicans, surrounded by armed, law-abiding citizens, you'd be OK.

Can you be a bit more specific Benny so that I can plan our next family holiday?
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by BenThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 am

I recommend you check out Pyongyang, Yangon, Teheran, Karachi, or Beijing.

You should probably avoid the US, but if you're determined, just stay away from most of the large cities and you'll be OK. I think you'd like Charleston, South Carolina. It's family-friendly.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by John Hill » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 am

If that is your best recommendation I think we will stay in NZ even though it is incredibly unsafe here with almost no armed law abiding citizens to be seen.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by BenThere » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 am

Good on ya. Buzz around your island paradise to your heart's content. Forget Vegas.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 am

John Hill wrote:If that is your best recommendation I think we will stay in NZ even though it is incredibly unsafe here with almost no armed law abiding citizens to be seen.

Really?
Visiting many years ago we were amused to read that a Maori 'had run amok with a machete on the funicular railway in Wellington'

Like in India 'hacked to death by the mob' 'sentenced to rigorous incarceration' just love the journalistic turn of phrase

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by John Hill » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:32 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:Visiting many years ago we were amused to read that a Maori 'had run amok with a machete on the funicular railway in Wellington'

That's what makes it so dangerous around here, just imagine how much safer it would have been if the commuters on the Kelburn cable car had been armed!