Should we be more worried about plastic than global warming?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Should we be more worried about plastic than global warming?

#121 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:07 pm

I guess he refers to Capetonian.

I am annoyed because I used the plastic bags sensibly and make sure they ended in the local rubbish disposal site full of no-recyclable garbage. I made sure they did not end in the road or even in the sea. Now I have to pay the fee and here the fee is subject to VAT. Fortunately I have a good collection of cotton/tissue (?) bags and the problem is solved easily.

Slasher

#122 Post by Slasher » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Don't pay a bloody cent for plastic bags RiS, and don't for a minute believe any company or government is really trying to reduce the plastic problem by imposing financial deterrents - they are simply after the average sap to cough up more. Follow the money.

Here Gulfside as I mentioned before some shops are giving (free) brown bags with handles and are far more strong, durable, and longer lasting than the weak plastic stuff. I think it's catching on too. I dunno when they'll start doing that in Western countries - maybe they haven't made enough money from plastic ones yet.

Capetonian

#123 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:44 pm

I eat in sushi/Japanese restaurants a lot. Find the staff in them unfailingly pleasant and polite - I know they are not necessarily Japanese people, in one I go to a lot they are Malaysian.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by BenThere » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Who are you addressing Ben?
I wasn't being specific. Who ever wants to answer.

As for being polite, my wife and I often go to Windsor, Ontario, Canada, about 20 miles from my house, to see a concert and spend the night at Caesar's Palace where they put on the concerts. The difference between Detroit and Windsor culture, though separated only by a river a quarter mile wide, is striking. Windsor is clean and safe, Detroit not at all, and you learn to keep your eyes open for trouble in Detroit. Additionally, Detroit is a rough and tumble, dog eat dog world, and everyone is on guard. You get to Windsor, check into the hotel, and the clerk wants to know if everything is going well for you today. I have to catch myself from being annoyed by that, and accord Canadians their due - they are the nicest people in the world, I think, though it seems President Trump's tariffs have their dander up these days.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#126 Post by Woody » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:46 am

This doesn’t seem to be reducing emissions :ymdevil:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44511200
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#127 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am

Well this is very good, the British government has actually achieved something :YMAPPLAUSE:

From the DM; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttles.html
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Slasher

#128 Post by Slasher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am
Well this is very good, the British government has actually achieved something :YMAPPLAUSE:

From the DM; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttles.html
Plastic friggin' microbeads??!!! Sh!t it's first time I've ever heard of 'em! And I've been known to guzzle beer while eating toothpaste sandwiches when the fridge was empty.

I use Colgate but I can't detect any of those bloody things. Are they really there?

Did some research and I'm a convert TS (microbeads anyway).

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#129 Post by John Hill » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Fortunately for Ben there are no microbeads where his oysters come from!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by Magnus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:53 am

JH, microbeads are quite a concern as are all single-use plastics. We had a bit of a storm a few weeks ago, and the high tide line on the beach (about 200 metres from the house) turned blue with cotton buds. Sadly there were also lots of hypodermic syringes.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:49 am

For a long time it's irritated me that to buy loose fruit and vegetables you have to put them into a plastic bag, so it's no better than buying stuff that has been prepackaged in a plastic bag. ~X(

It seems that. Morrisons are taking the lead and are switching to paper bags. :YMAPPLAUSE:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... vegetables

Capetonian

#132 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:47 pm

I am getting a bit sick of being looked at and spoken to as if I were a retard or a miser of some kind when I refuse to accept water in plastic bottles in restaurants, but what really makes me laugh is when I buy fruit and veg, instead of putting it into a packet and sticking the label from the weighing machine onto the packet, I stick it directly onto the fruit or veg if practical - obviously not if you're buying a kilo of grapes.

I won't take plastic bags, even if they're free, and if I order the sort of drink that might have a plastic straw, such as fruit juice, I tell them 'no straw'.

I've walked out of restaurants and pubs that refuse to supply tap water for drinking. We once did this at a pub in Hersham. Ordered 4 roast lunches and a bottle of wine, then asked for a jug of tap water.
"We're not allowed to serve tap water, health and safety you know."
Bollocks. Argument ensued and they thought I'd given up.
When lunch came to the table, I asked for a jug of tap water. They refused, so we got up and walked out, and they lost £60 or so, never mind the future business. I suppose that's why in some places they insist on payment up front or a credit card.

Sky News is running a feature today about plastic in the oceans.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#133 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:34 am

Bioplastic could be a viable replacement for plastic bottles and packaging in five years time. :-bd

From the DM http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... tists.html

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by BenThere » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm convinced that is the solution, Mrs Ex-Ascot. Biodegradable materials that are eco-neutral can replace much of our detritus that fills our landfills and takes almost forever to return to the elements. Much of that, like plastic shopping bags, could be incinerated to cleanly return energy, but that technology is not too far along.

I generally believe in conscious stewardship of our environment, which essentially means you should clean up after yourself and leave no negative trace, only improvements, nature-wise. I bristle at trendy, media-driven movements, like the solar and wind juggernaut movements we've just endured, that don't make sense, but enrapture the fools among us and force us to pay dearly for the folly.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:48 pm

like the solar and wind juggernaut movements we've just endured, that don't make sense, but enrapture the fools among us and force us to pay dearly for the folly.
Just how much subsidy has your beloved nuclear power received over the years and how much will the clean up cost?
When all else fails, read the instructions.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#136 Post by BenThere » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 pm

I don't know, Woody. I do know that much of the nuclear cost has been for litigation and jumping through near impossible obstructions to gain certification to operate.

I also don't know the tab for all the subsidies delivered to solar and wind generation, which has returned very little, not only on investment but as a reliable source of power.

The clean up cost of nuclear power is determined by the power of its opponents. We could safely dump the waste down a down a deep hole at very low cost, no clean up required, but Greens all over the world have so far successfully blocked that approach.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by John Hill » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Underground nuclear waste disposal at its best..
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/04/some ... six-years/

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:27 am

What a great idea; plastic roads. :YMAPPLAUSE:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ld-plastic

Good to see someone wanting to use plastic waste as opposed to wanting to ban plastic altogether.

Capetonian

#139 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 am

Five plastic-free shopping bag solutions

The end of single use plastic bags in Australian supermarkets is a long overdue commitment to the wellbeing of our planet, and it's a move welcomed by many.

Others have been left scratching their heads about how exactly to manage transporting large amounts of groceries. Families without existing systems in place are most affected by the ban thanks to the sheer volume of grocery items that need to be shuffled into the home.

The great news is that there are many options on the market to make your lives easier in terms of transporting the huge weekly shop most parents do.

A habit doesn't happen in an instant - it takes a bit of determination and mindfulness to make it stick but it's easy to form, especially when you have the right tools to do the job.

Here are the clever options available to you, so you'll never be tempted to use plastic bags ever again.
1. Reusable bags that roll up small

Brands such as Envirosax, Loqi and RuMe bags are incredibly strong and last for years. They can be machine-washed, stuffed into coat pockets and handbags and thrown in the car boot so they're always accessible.

Take it a step further by rejecting fresh produce bags in favour of mesh bags. Or simply use nothing at all, carefully placing your fruit and vegetables in your reusable shopping bags.
2. Trolley bags

These rather genius trolley bags enable you to pack your shopping straight back into them at the checkout, then remove them one-by-one to pop in the car boot. When empty, they're completely flat so they're ideal to keep in the boot without taking up space.

3. Fold-flat crates

The advantage of these $10 fold-flat crates from Officeworks is that they stack. Those with those frustratingly-small-but-tall car boots in seven-seater SUVs and people movers will rejoice in finally being able to use the height of the boot for large grocery shops.

You'll need to check the dimensions of your boot first, then look at the foldable crate options on the market.

4. Roll-along trolley

They used to be the sole domain of grandparents, but the humble rolling trolley has well and truly arrived in the 21st century as a practical and sometimes incredibly gorgeous grocery transport option.

Grandma knew all along what she was doing, being from an era of far less waste, and requiring a way to effortlessly transport multiple items.

You can get fancy ones like the Rolser trolleys (starting at $69), which also fold up and attach to the back of the trolley as you shop, or there are more budget-friendly options from budget retailers. They won't hold a whole family shop necessarily but they will hold a lot.
5. Boomerang Bags

It's a reusable bag movement that has come to more than 745 communities both big and small around Australia. The idea is for people to raid their fabric stashes and sew reusable shopping bags to be made by volunteers, which are then passed on for free to family and friends.

Participants are encouraged to wrap gifts in the reusable bags, and find ways of getting them out into their local community. Look up your local Boomerang Bags community here, or start one yourself.

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/life/ho ... 705-h129z3

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by John Hill » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:24 am

No need to worry about global warming, California is just having a balmy summer!