Mugabe

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Capetonian

Re: Mugabe

#141 Post by Capetonian » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:31 pm

There seems to be some unhappiness in the Mugabe family!

Oh dear, how tragic. Never mind.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#142 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:59 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:Just came across this photo in my files - my T-shirt from the days running up to Mugabe's election when we were on a UK Government contract there....Only worn when we got back home!

Rhodesia-T-Shirt.jpg

We had an Andover and crew out there at the time to fly Lord Soames around. He took one look at the gleaming white aircraft and opted for a dirty green C130. Our crew got very bored and the captain used his 'big chopper' to good effect. He got on extremely well with a local white lady called Rose. Some months later I was manning Sqn ops and got a phone call from Rose who we all knew about. 'I've got a fantastic surprise for 'Fred'. I am at Heathrow.' It certainly was a surprise. He nearly died and his wife wasn't too impressed either.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#143 Post by Magnus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Ex-A, I think that should read "His wife wasn't too impressed, and so he nearly died." :D

Sisemen

#144 Post by Sisemen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm

The narrow escapes of wives and lovers meeting could merit a whole thread on its own =))

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#145 Post by Magnus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Managed to juggle 3 at one gig. Soon-to-be-ex-GF, eventually-to-become-SWMBO, and a rather fruity Norwegian lady I'd met on holiday in Shetland. Tricky.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#146 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Sisemen wrote:The narrow escapes of wives and lovers meeting could merit a whole thread on its own =))

The toast at a Naval Mess Dinner if it was a Saturday used to be "Our wives and sweethearts" and the unofficial and inevitable response was "May they never meet".

The PC brigade have changed it, I suppose because of the number of ladies now in the RN - but we always had Wren officers in my time anyway - and the toast is now "Our families". The Tuesday toast has also changed from "Our men" to "Our sailors".
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#147 Post by ian16th » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:16 am

Malaysia it is then.
Grace will have to watch her behaviour in a Moslem country.
Cynicism improves with age

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#148 Post by Magnus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 am

Is Zuma next in line for the chop?

Capetonian

#149 Post by Capetonian » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 am

Hopefully yes. Realistically, I doubt it.

Capetonian

#150 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:15 am

Let's hope that the old bastard dies before he and his bitch can take advantage of any of it, and that she dies soon too. They won't be safe anywhere in the world so they'll need those guards, but hopefully someone will manage to get a shot at them, and hopefully not a nice clean shot to a vital organ either.

Robert Mugabe exits with mansion, staff and first‑class travel

Robert Mugabe has been given a lavish retirement package that includes first-class air travel, a multimillion-pound mansion, private health insurance and numerous staff.

Zimbabwe’s ousted president will also have a fully staffed private office, bodyguards and chauffeur-driven cars likely to cost the impoverished country tens of thousands of pounds each year.

His wife, Grace, whose corruption and venality were blamed for bringing about the collapse of her 93-year-old husband’s career, will be allowed to keep most of the perks after he dies.

The terms of Mr Mugabe’s soft landing after 37 years in office were announced in the state-run newspaper The Herald. He was removed from power last month following a coup.

Yesterday the chief of the armed forces who led the military takeover was sworn in as deputy to President Mnangagwa. Constantine Chiwenga, 61, who retired from the military a week ago, swapped his fatigues for a black suit and pledged to discharge his duties “with all my strength and to the best of my knowledge and ability”.

Several senior military figures have been given prominent roles in cabinet, prompting dismay because Mr Mnangagwa had promised a clean sweep after Mr Mugabe’s long rule.

Critics said that Mr Mugabe’s retirement package was a further sign that nothing had changed, and that it would ultimately benefit Mr Mnangagwa too.

Zimbabwean presidents who serve at least one term of office will be entitled to a five-bedroom house with a separate guest wing, a swimming pool and 19 full-time members of staff. Since Mr Mugabe already owns a £7.5 million palatial home in Harare, he is expected to be given a lump sum instead.
Journalists were banned from writing about Robert Mugabe’s palace at Borrowdale Brooke

Mr Mugabe refused to cede power for six tense days after the military takeover, eventually agreeing to step down on November 21. He will get at least six bodyguards, three housekeepers, two gardeners, two waiters, two cooks and two full-time laundry staff. He will also have an office with phones, computers, private secretaries and other staff and all his household bills will be paid.

The state will provide a Mercedes Benz S500 saloon or equivalent, a four-wheel drive and a pick-up truck, complete with fuel and two drivers, to be at the couple’s disposal day and night.

When Mr Mugabe dies his wife, who is known by her detractors as Gucci Grace, will be entitled to “suitable state residential accommodation until she dies or remarries”. They can each claim four first-class flights a year, diplomatic passports and private health insurance.

Up to 70 per cent of Zimbabweans live below the poverty line and 95 per cent are unemployed. The generous package is likely to be frowned upon by donors and banks whose help will be needed to resuscitate the economy.

Tendai Biti, a senior opposition figure who briefly served as finance minister, told The Times that generous retirement packages encouraged African presidents not to overstay in office but that Mr Mugabe’s was unprecedented.

“The man is a billionaire who has stolen from state funds. He should be content with that,” he said. “To give Mugabe all this makes you wonder about Mnangagwa's motives, since he too will benefit. This will just confirm that nothing has changed.”

George Charamba, Mr Mnangagwa’s spokesman, said that the package was in keeping with the law, commensurate with Mr Mugabe’s time in office and determined not by the president but by the civil service commission. He rejected as “absolutely untrue” media reports that Mr Mugabe was also promised a $10 million golden handshake.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#151 Post by ian16th » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Now all of his cohorts want an 'Exit Package'.
All of them should be in court as the accused!

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by Magnus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:48 pm

Cape, it looks like the courts are homing in on "Jay-Zee". There's hope yet.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#153 Post by ian16th » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:49 am

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#154 Post by ian16th » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Capetonian

#155 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:00 pm

The ruthless new leader of Zimbabwe is being welcomed by the global elite in Davos this week – despite his links to decades of repression and genocide alongside predecessor Robert Mugabe.
Emmerson Mnangagwa, 75, nicknamed ‘the crocodile’, became president of the African nation last year when Mugabe was forced out after a 37-year rule.

As expected, they're all lining up to lick his backside because he's black. This will just encourage him to get away with the same type of despotic rule as his predecessor.

Capetonian

#156 Post by Capetonian » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Zimbabwe's ex-leader Robert Mugabe is in Singapore for medical care and now unable to walk because of ill health and old age, President Emmerson Mnangagwa said on Saturday.
Oh dear, how sad. Never mind.

I hope it's slow and painful and that there's a special corner of hell for him. Mind you he's already done some penance being married to that cnut Grace.

Capetonian

#157 Post by Capetonian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:41 am

Zimbabwe's ex-leader Robert Mugabe is in Singapore for medical care and now unable to walk because of ill health and old age, President Emmerson Mnangagwa said on Saturday.

Mnangagwa told his Zanu-PF party supporters at a rally that the 94-year-old Mugabe had been receiving medical care in Singapore for the past two months.

"He (Mugabe) is now old. Of course, he now is unable to walk but whatever he asks for we will provide," Mnangagwa told hundreds of supporters in Mugabe's home area of Zvimba.

He said Mugabe was expected back in the country at the end of this month.
In a plastic bin bag, hopefully. Why don't they just chuck him into the sewage?

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#158 Post by Smeagol » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:39 pm

My, my Cape you REALLY don't like Mugabe do you?

(Must admit that I don't either and agree with all your suggestions. The barsteward ruined a beautiful country.)
We hates Bagginses!

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#159 Post by BenThere » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:48 pm

I wasn't close to the Southern Rhodesian transformation in the Ian Smith era, and I don't know all the nuances of what transpired. Perhaps I'll take up a volume of a history of the era and acquire some expertise. But for now my take is that Zimbabwe could have had a much brighter future had it not turned so hard on its white citizens after its black citizens assumed control. Seems to me South Africa has taken the same path.

My conclusion is that racism is bi-directional and inflicts damage regardless of the political winds. The perfect world would allow each of us human beings to see the person beyond and behind the skin color, assess his character and sincerity, and work with him if he (or she in all of this) merits working with. I really have a problem with the construct that only white people are capable of racism.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#160 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:46 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.